PDA

View Full Version : Mauser central

Wolfer
01-30-2019, 12:49 AM
I’m sure many of you were aware but I was not. Mauser central is back up at a new location. mausercentral.net

Good bunch of guys over there.

trebor44
01-30-2019, 11:27 AM
Since the registration process is so cryptic (e.g. code display) why bother? What are they trying to hide?

KenT7021
01-30-2019, 06:51 PM
I just tried to register on that forum.I have been permanently banned.I have never been on the forum to my knowledge.Sounds like a good forum to avoid.

markX
01-31-2019, 07:43 AM
Have “joined” and been “unregistered “ many times. Finally just gave up.

nueces5
01-31-2019, 12:38 PM
I am interested, because as a possessor and lover of the mausers, it is very good to find a dedicated forum
I already registered and I hope they approve me

TRAP55
03-06-2019, 10:18 PM
Good day gentlemen! Ran across this thread in a search for some lost MC members. I apologize for the sign up problems. With a new forum site, we were the nail, and the hacker/spammers were the hammer. Please try again, any problems, email me, I'll have it fixed same day.
The MC.com domain name was sniped by a company that specializes in domain extortion. By the time we figured who had it, the entire data file was deleted. One of the members managed to salvage some of it from the "wayback archives", but so much was lost. I know who did it and where they live, and may God help them if I'm ever in Seattle again. Trap
BTW...Glad to be here!:grin:

10x
03-08-2019, 06:50 PM
I have registered just to see what is there... I have liked mausers for over 60 years

jonp
03-09-2019, 05:52 AM
Why the "born before 2006" thing? Is 13yrs old a magic number? I'd think 18 for legal age or something.

Since the registration process is so cryptic (e.g. code display) why bother? What are they trying to hide?

Nothing. Standard to avoid robobots. Have you never seen the code thing before? Most sights use a variation of a code, pictures (hit the boxes showing cars) or something like that.

TRAP55
03-09-2019, 07:04 PM
"Captcha", bots are a plague for forums, and so far, they don't have one that can past that. Spammers can go upstairs from Mom's basement for chips, and the bots do all the work signing up.
10x, glad to have ya! Quite a bit smaller and slower than it was, but the wealth of information is still there for the asking. Top notch gunsmiths (not just Mausers), and one that does stock duplicating at very reasonable prices. He has some beautiful stock blanks, and 95% inletted stocks as well.

jonp
03-09-2019, 07:37 PM
"Captcha", bots are a plague for forums, and so far, they don't have one that can past that. Spammers can go upstairs from Mom's basement for chips, and the bots do all the work signing up.
10x, glad to have ya! Quite a bit smaller and slower than it was, but the wealth of information is still there for the asking. Top notch gunsmiths (not just Mausers), and one that does stock duplicating at very reasonable prices. He has some beautiful stock blanks, and 95% inletted stocks as well.

I signed on today, too. I have something in mind for a Mauser action that I need some help with

10x
03-10-2019, 08:55 AM

It would be nice to have a handloading section - for obscure Mauser calibers.
The 7x57 has been chambered in rolling blocks, model 94 mausers, and model 98.
and all of the other 100 year old mauser calibers are loaded down to accommodate early guns with design limitations, dubious metallurgy, or DPO (despicable previous owner) neglect.
My 9.3 X57 has a speed and pressure limit imposed on it by the design of the L46 - one that is much than the capacity of the FN 98 of the same caliber
The old mauser cartridges have amazing potential in modern rifles.
That being said, there is no magic caliber, cartridge, case, rifle, scope, or trigger assembly that will give us our hearts desire.
I saw the 9.3x57 reviewed in handloader 273 - thought, obsolete cartridge, low velocity - time waster
Saw the article about an L46 in 9.3x57 in handloader 283. Thought, obsolete cartridge in a well made rifle, slow, ponderous bullet 285 grains with 30-30 ballistics. Thought, still a waste of time
On a whim, got a L46 in 9.3x57 - the price was right. Scrounged a mold, located one of the few reloading die sets, spent months figuring out a safe load,
Fired the first five shots, then another five, and discovered a problem in the bedding.
two years later, the problem is sort of solved, group size has dropped to 2" or less and now I am working up a load and considering hunting with this gun,
rather than the 7mm/08 or the 30/06 I usually hunt with.
The Scandinavians call this caliber the "potato thrower" because of the size of the bullet and the trajectory. Those who have harvested game claim a good shot drops the animal "like a sack of potatoes"
I just like the idea of hunting with a hundred year old cartridge (1905) in a gun that is almost a hundred years old (1920).
After over 500 rounds through the rifle - I appreciate and value my time with the old girl

TRAP55
03-10-2019, 05:59 PM
Old things made new again? 9.3 X57 -.358Win, 7x57 - 7mm/08? The 6.5 Swede is 125yrs old, and still holds it's own with all the newer 6.5's. Makes me wonder how hunters managed to kill anything with those antique BP rifles 200 years ago!;)

10x
03-11-2019, 06:28 PM
Old things made new again? 9.3 X57 -.358Win, 7x57 - 7mm/08? The 6.5 Swede is 125yrs old, and still holds it's own with all the newer 6.5's. Makes me wonder how hunters managed to kill anything with those antique BP rifles 200 years ago!;)
Some believe there is a magic associated bore diameter and cartridge case name.
they will claim the 303 Brit is inherently inaccurate - based on the opinions of the gun writers who loaded 303 Brit with 0.308" bullets and could not get small groups. - this was in the late 50s and early 60's I still have some of the magazines blaming the Lee Enfield two piece stock for large groups when it was really pulled bullets that were 0.004" or more undersize for the 303 bore