PDA

View Full Version : Weight of 5 gallon pail of wheelweights

quasi
12-04-2005, 06:07 PM
Has anyone ever weighed a 5 gallon pail of wheelweights, full right to the top with wheelweights?

I just had to unload 3, 5 gallon pails, full right to the top, from my wife's station wagon. She said it took 2 guys and a forklift to put them in!

I am guessing the pails were around 150lb's each, anyone have any idea what they weight for sure?

grumble
12-04-2005, 06:16 PM
I think your guess of 150 lbs is pretty close, give or take 20 lbs.

Morew interestingly, is what the strength of the wire handle is calibrated to. I'm pretty sure it is designed to give way in the middle of a swing into the back of a pickup. Those design engineers are pretty clever people, and enjoy their own sort of humor.

buck1
12-04-2005, 06:32 PM
I figure 130ish LBS to a bucket. Giving up about 100-110 Lbs of alloy. By the way 1 Gal of SOLID Lead =about 96 Lbs. ....Buck

sundog
12-04-2005, 06:54 PM
Yea, whatever the vertabrae numbers are that the syatic (sp) nerve passes through, well that's the disc that will compress the split second before the 'under rated' handle conviently lets go.... Been walking with a limp for awhile and the doc says surgery on the right rotator cuff at the same time, too.

Y'all be careful, thar's a few other thangs what kin git a bit strained at the same time.... sundog

versifier
12-04-2005, 07:15 PM
Not usually one to air the dirty linen unless it's amusing, but I have been physically handicapped since, in late 1992, I swung & lifted a drywall bucket of wet (frozen) sand into the back of my pickup for traction at the end of a long day. Blown out L4-L5 disc, herniated L3-L4, crushed left sciatic nerves, major surgery, loss of sensation (except pain, of course), years of PT & pain killers, SS check and three kids to feed at 40. :shock: Finally decided a few years ago that it's OK if I walk real funny, but I do need my mind, so no more pain killers and I'm fairly antisocial when the pressure is low. I don't do too well with icy walks, either, but I'll be ****ed if that will make me leave New England. :p Too much of the macho **** will put you in a WHEELCHAIR. Of course, you can still shoot from sitting down, but my stalking skills aren't what they used to be. The deer are entertained, though. Not the least bit interested in sympathy, just hoping someone else can learn from my stupidity and not make the same mistake. Me, I'm happy that the plumbing still works. :-D
If I remember right, not too long ago RayinNH had a formula for figuring the weight of the bucket per inch filled with ww's.

waksupi
12-04-2005, 08:14 PM
Has anyone ever weighed a 5 gallon pail of wheelweights, full right to the top with wheelweights?

I just had to unload 3, 5 gallon pails, full right to the top, from my wife's station wagon. She said it took 2 guys and a forklift to put them in!

I am guessing the pails were around 150lb's each, anyone have any idea what they weight for sure?

Don't worry about how much they weigh. Just tuck your hemmeroids back in place, tighten your truss, and get to casting!

The Nyack Kid
12-04-2005, 11:13 PM
[QUOTE If I remember right, not too long ago RayinNH had a formula for figuring the weight of the bucket per inch filled with ww's.[/QUOTE]

i remember something like that too .
I beleave it was 12 # to the inch depending on how much "goodys" the tire boys through in there.
Waksupi you been teaching them tireboys bad habits . it took some wheeling and deeling but i got some WWs the other day . it cost me two twelve packs and a can of copnhagen . up from a 12 pack earlier.

Leftoverdj
12-04-2005, 11:19 PM
I figure 130ish LBS to a bucket. Giving up about 100-110 Lbs of alloy. By the way 1 Gal of SOLID Lead =about 96 Lbs. ....Buck

Buck's mighty close.

I thought it was just me getting puny enough to have to grunt hard to get a bucket of WW in and out of the trunk.

StanDahl
12-05-2005, 12:58 AM
"Blown out L4-L5 disc, herniated L3-L4, crushed left sciatic nerves, major surgery, loss of sensation (except pain, of course), years of PT & pain killers..."

Uh, Versifier, just for those of us who are starting to realize that our backs won't last forever, was that an out-of-the-blue event or had you had other traumas prior to this blow-out? That seems pretty harsh a punishment for what you describe. Yikes!

versifier
12-05-2005, 01:52 AM
Stan, It was right out of the blue. I was in really good shape, and knew better how to lift properly - I used to pitch 100# grain bags on the farm, 10-15 cords of firewood, barn full of hay bales, hike all day in the mountains for 20-25 miles. But, that night I was really tired and in a hurry to get home after a long day so I wasn't paying attention. It was getting dark quickly, 25 degrees and sleeting heavy and I knew the truck would be all over the road if I didn't have some weight in the back. I had four drywall buckets full of sand and water frozen solid. No problem until #4. I jerked it up and turned to put it into the truck bed while it was still on its way up. It hurt, and something didn't feel right, but I didn't think anything of it, then. :groner: Went home and went to bed. I rolled out of bed the next morning and landed hard on the floor face first, crawled to the bathroom. :holysheep My girlfriend (later my wife) heard me swearing when I couldn't figure out how to use the can. No feeling or movement below my waist, just more pain than I could believe. After a lot of hemming and hawing, they operated and all seemed great until the wound got infected. That period I don't want to think about. [smilie=1: The doctor figured I'd stay on wheels, and I wondered aloud how many patients he'd lost because of his optimism; he upped the pain killers and didn't answer. :-P The thought of my kids pushing me around everywhere I could not abide. [smilie=b: Now, I can say honestly that I make a great bad example, and that it is only through my stubbornness and most especially the love of my family & dog, plus the caring and efforts of a very dedicated team of physical therapists that I can walk at all today. I go hunting now with my eight year old daughter, and I am glad of every day. :D I don't think I've ever told this much of the story before, maybe it will make someone else think twice, or at the very least not take the important things in life so much for granted before you try to lift that ****ing drywall bucket full of wheel weights. :wink:

BOOM BOOM
12-05-2005, 02:05 AM
HI,
I just refined 100lbs of alloy out of a full to the brim round 5 gal bucket.
What is the dry wall bucket? Is that the squar sided type?

David R
12-05-2005, 07:17 AM
Last time I bought ww, a FULL bucket weighed 220 LBs. One of the smaller ones FULL weighed 150 lbs. I ended up with 1200 lbs from 7 buckets. I weighed every one. It seems I get a bucket of clips from a bucket of WW, but thats really not true.

Davidv

btr-cj
12-05-2005, 08:38 AM
Grumble.

I see you have the same opinion that some engineers have a warped sense of humor.

When I was in the field service game for micrographic equipment I was sure they put the high failure rate components in the most inopportune places just for laughs.

I always imagined them sitting around conferences telling stories about “Just wait till they try to change that part.” And the whole crowd around them gets a big laugh at my expense.

C.J.

JackOfAllTrades
12-05-2005, 01:49 PM
I'm 43 years young. About ten years ago I got in to a little contest with a friend. I'd welded up a new utility trailer from scrap in my shop. Licensed and rolling it was a good tool for runs to the dump or when I didn't want to put something heavy so high into my 4x4. One evening I needed to move it. Basically, Sideways. It was blocked in by stuff in the shop. My buddy, a commercial fisherman at the time, 6'3" and 285. Lifts the back end while I lifted at the tongue. I grunted and he gave me crap. Now I'm 5'8" at a buck fifty. But in really good shape. So I set things down, and switch ends. First lift, POP! I'm sitting on my keister! Then grin and bear it getting the task completed.

A little history, As an Aviation Electrician in the Navy, I lifted countless F-14, E2, EA6B and A6 generators out of shipping crates and twisted to then either set the contraption on a work bench or hang on an MA2 aircraft generator test stand. (An F-14 generator is run with hydraulics, and is larger than a GM turbo 400 automatic transmisssion)

It's the lift and twist that got to me over the years. Damage to discs that I didn't know about. Then I try this extreme lift. (trailer weighed 560lbs- you do the math)

During my illustrious military career I was also involved in a motorcycle wreck. Nimrod turned left in front of me. I "T" boned him, jumped, and flew 150' through the air to land on pavement, on my head and left shoulder. Tuck and roll to a stop and pop to my feet. -You might think I sustained a bit of spinal dammage from that. I was fortunate enough to walk away. Limping, but walking. No road rash.

So years later, I've got pain in the lower region. MRI shows compression at L4 & L5, with a buldge at L5 & S1. Those of us with back injuries know too well the sciatica nerve, pain and tingling to our toes, sometimes accompanied with a loss of leg control. I'm too young to let them cut on me. So I take my pain pills when the going gets too tough. (Fortified with beer [smilie=w:
Ice, then a hottub at 104 degrees. (Fortified with more beer :veryconfu
And a chiropractor visit a couple times a month.

All I can say to anyone, young or old. 'Don't lift beyond your means. Don't lift and twist. Use a hoist. Get help. And don't give in to temptation to prove yourself to a buddy.'

Now? What was this thread originally about?

-Steve

Bman
12-05-2005, 05:25 PM
Pedical screw fusion at L5S1 sound familiar to anyone? I'm very lucky though very little residual effects(pain) and can do most of my pre-surgery activites. I did learn to be careful when I go about doing heavy work now...

quasi
12-05-2005, 07:05 PM
O and by the way, every tire shop that I phoned in the city I live in (Calgary), already had guys who regularily BOUGHT their wheel weights, and every one said I could have them first if I arrived first. The strange thing is they all had the same price, $20.00 CAN. for a 5 gallon bucket.

RayinNH
12-05-2005, 09:26 PM
Yup, about 12# per inch in a five gallon bucket is what I've found...Ray

drinks
12-05-2005, 10:56 PM
Those seem to be a very special place for those of us who are possessed of more muscles between our ears than in our backs and arms.
I am fortunate, regular chiropractor treatments keep the pain to a manageable level and restore feeling to the leg.
I did manage to destroy the left rotator cuff 3 years ago, loading a cabinet carcass in my van, only took 3 1/2 hours of cutting and stitching, have about 90% range of motion and 25% of strength back.
Just picked it up, started to loose it, and dropped under it and forced it in with left arm, did it plenty of times, 30 years ago.
Hell to be 65 in body and 35 in mind.

alamogunr
12-05-2005, 11:49 PM
Those last 3 or 5 inches to the tailgate of my pickup got to be more than I could handle. Just about every 5 gal bucket of WW I've weighed has been between 140 and 160 lbs, depending on how much trash and large foreign matter was mixed in. I made a small platform about 8 inches high from a couple of small pallets I got out of the scrap bin at work. First lift is to the platform and then from the platform to the tailgate. It goes with me every time I go after WW. Still not easy at 63 but I make sure I don't twist in mid lift. I realize that at 6'2" and 225 that my platform probably won't fit everyone, but then it doesn't have to. OH! Another thing, I don't trust drywall buckets. I have a collection of steel buckets I salvaged at work. Handles pull out of the plastic buckets too easily. Having said all this, I hope these are not my "Famous Last Words".
John

454PB
12-07-2005, 04:08 PM
It is a pity we all get so smart AFTER we're screwed up. I recently sold 600 pounds of linotype, still in the letter forms. Since I sold it by the pound, I had to weigh all of it. I had a good supply of plastic buckets, and found that they held about 125 pounds if filled about 2/3 full. I used the 2/3 full so that I could tip them and slide them onto the platform of my hand truck and wheel them to the driveway. The guy that bought them backed up to the collection of buckets. He had a big diesel 3/4 ton truck, and we both grabbed each bucket to heist them into that tall truck. I reminded him to get some help unloading them.

I have another portion of this linotype in one of those tall metal grease containers that are about 30" high. It's half full, and it's all I can do to even tip it up enough to slide the hand truck underneath.

I'd suggest that you keep lead stored in 5 gallon buckets that are only half full, then stack them inside each other.