PDA

View Full Version : MY Holy Grail .32 Cherokee--What's it worth today?

Gray Fox
01-29-2019, 01:36 AM
I have always bemoaned the fact that I missed the T/C Cherokee rifles in .32 since I live where anything other than rimfires and muzzleloaders is illegal for small game. My smallest caplock is a .50 Lyman deerstalker flintlock and I'm not onw of those who can bark a squirrel and I don't always make head shots on rabbits. Well, I have the opportunity to pick up a Cherokee with the .32 barrel and a .45 barrel as a set. The wood is beautiful from the pics I've seen, but I haven't had my hands on it to check the condition of the bores or the wood to metal fit. The rifle has the scarce T/C peep sight which my old eyes love and the light weight of the 13/16 barrel would make it a fine woods running rifle, even lighter with a .45 hole in the second barrel. My question is do any of you have an idea what the value of the combo is today with the big assumption being that the bores are in good condition? All opinions are welcome. GF

shdwlkr
01-29-2019, 12:43 PM
Gray Fox
the cherokee is a cheaper model of the seneca, shorter barrel, no patch box. I bought one years ago for $300 today I might go $400 and another $150 for the extra .45 caliber barrel. The real question is condition of combo. Yes years ago the factory that made the seneca and cherokee burned so no more could be made but does that make the firearm more expensive or less since there is no way to get parts from the company, by the way is owned by a big company now that seems to have no desire to make side locks anymore only inlines. Hope this helps you out

BPJONES
01-29-2019, 01:02 PM
I think a nice condition example will go well above $400.00 to the right buyer. I bought one 2 years ago supposedly unfired and I paid $500.00. I've seen a couple of examples sold at around $800.00. You just have to wait for the right buyer. In your case, you have to wait for the right seller. Area will also make a difference in price though today a gun could be sold to an online buyer anywhere.

shdwlkr
01-29-2019, 01:04 PM
BP
Yes the right buyer would pay more for a cherokee but how many today even know what a cherokee, seneca, hawken, renegade are? Most are into inlines and such and if you mention flint lock they look at you if you are nuts

BPJONES
01-29-2019, 01:07 PM
True, with most of these traditional style guns, or even vintage shotguns, it is a select group of buyers. That's why one has to find the right buyer but there are still some out there. In this case the op wants to buy. If someone has one and wants to move it fairly quickly, then chances are good he will find a fair deal.

arcticap
01-29-2019, 02:54 PM
Every single part of the gun has a value, but I'm not sure if the entire kit is worth as much as the sum of its parts.

A stock can be refinished to look like new.
The bores can be rated by condition, i.e.- very good, excellent, mint (barely used) or unfired.
I've read that the peep sight alone can be worth $200 - $225 or more to some people.

However I wonder if the peep sight is sighted in for use with both barrels.
And I wonder if the barrels also come with the original rear sights.

Even if the whole kit was worth in the range of $600 - $800 if offered for sale by an elite auction house,
the auction fees can be quite hefty as both the buyer and seller may each need to pay as much as 15% - 18% in fees.

The buyer has the fee added to his bid price, which may reduce how much he bids.
The seller has the fee deducted from the final price which reduces how much cash he receives for it.
And the buyer also needs to pay for shipping and insurance.

This is only an academic discussion, but I think the Cherokee can have a value very similar to the Seneca.
I would like to see photos since that's where the proof is in the pudding.

A complete stock and barrel for these guns tend to sell separately for big money on eBay when it comes close to Father's Day.

Drm50
01-29-2019, 04:14 PM
I'm just a tinker with BP guns unless they are originals. I only have a couple TC Hawkin for ML deer season. I did
have a NIB Cherokee when 1st out. Played with shooting squirrels with it and it was good shooter. I did put finer
sights on it. Marble use to make a nice rear that used same screws holes as TC. I also made a nice brass ramrod
for it. I may be wrong but mine had set trigger just like Hawkin. I think they changed that at some point and went to single plain trigger. Mine shot balls better than the maxi ball. Sold it to a buddy who scoped it and made it his main squirrel piece. He can hit golf balls at 40yds no problem. I broke a couple ram rods, that why I made
up a brass one. Adds a little wieght but loads easy. I make Hawkin rods out of Alumilum rod 3/8" I think. Would
have made 32 out of Alumilum too but couldn't find the dia" locally.