PDA

View Full Version : Best Night Vision Scope for $1000?

2ndAmendmentNut
01-27-2019, 10:53 AM
Maybe this has been asked before, but with the technology getting better and cheaper I thought I’d see if I can get into night vision for hog hunting. In your opinions what is the best night vision scope for $1000 or less?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Three44s
01-27-2019, 11:12 AM
Consider thermal vs night vision

Watch vids as warmer objects pop out at you.

As far as the dollars, 1000$ won’t buy much in thermal yet though.

There is a lot of action over at Predator Masters and the the least expensive thermal seems to be Pulsar that is decent.

I have a ATN thermal I bought used in a once in a lifetime deal from the 2015 vintage by way of a friend who was in financial distress that I can’t beat the deal on. That said I would not go and buy their new stuff at least for the time being. Their support is not good and there are some real legal issues with their higher ups (maybe smuggling to Russia?) so they could go poof?

My .02 worth

Three44s

popper
01-27-2019, 03:14 PM
Realize that they basically are a hardened digital camera with optical magnification and digital zoom. Lens, CCD array, computer and display (LCD). The difference between IR and illuminator is the sensitivity of the CCD. Basic FLIR based system is the only real IR. The rest need IR light and depend on reflection. The starlight type are IR to visible converters but much better - NV googles. So the difference in price is dictated by the hardening, sensitivity, power consumption, weight and licensing costs + BMW/Chevy. I've got an old Sony camcorder that I can remove the IR and replace with Visible filter - works great for close range viewer.

osteodoc08
01-27-2019, 05:58 PM
Keep saving.

Plate plinker
01-27-2019, 06:23 PM
I am certain I would go thermal if at all possible.

crankycalico
01-27-2019, 09:10 PM
well 1000 dollars COULD get you something in the "tasco 12$ rim fire scope" level.

I have seen a company that makes a night scope add on kit that hooks onto your EXISTING scope, and gives you night vision, but that's almost 2K I believe.

RP
01-28-2019, 12:18 AM
I picked up a photon scope its really a camera shows everything in black and white runs on two AA batteries good batteries will last longer and you can add a recorder to it if you like, I have used it some and was able to see a yote at 200 yards with not much issue. Draw backs to this scope I have found so far are as follows. Laying on the ground it is a white out to much reflections off the ground unless your on a hill and everything is down hill. In the woods I tried it on a shooting lane all was well until it got dark enough I had to turn on the IR light which has 3 settings I found out there was a limb hanging down low enough it looked like a flashlite shining back at me. Third thing which is not really a problem is the focus adjustment is in the front and your arm blocks the IR light while you turn it so you need to use your right hand to do so. When you find out what works and what issues you will have its not a bad deal for around 500 bucks.
Unlike the ATN there is only a few buttons to learn a contrast site picture color or style and the IR light which you will need to do in the dark to keep your cover . Oh the other draw back is the looking over the fields you get a tired arm from scanning the fields and when you find your prey your arm is so tired its hard to hold on the target so a shooting platform is needed. 30 mm rings are needed and the eye relief is tricky since most do not put it far enough back on the rifle. And you can also use it during the day without any damage just leave the cap on there is a tiny hole in the cap which allows enough light in for it to work.

2ndAmendmentNut
01-28-2019, 07:56 AM
Thanks guys for the replies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jonp
01-28-2019, 02:30 PM
The ones i've looked at have been a few times your dollar figure to several times more. Might want to rethink your budget

Surculus
02-05-2019, 02:59 AM
Maybe this has been asked before, but with the technology getting better and cheaper I thought I’d see if I can get into night vision for hog hunting. In your opinions what is the best night vision scope for $1000 or less?

The new ATN X-Sight 4k Pro digital NV scope is your best bet in that price range. Advantage is that you can use it as a day scope as well, and it has some nifty gee-whiz capabilities like taking video of your shots, etc. DO NOT get the older model X-Sight scopes, unless maybe someone is giving it away free: they were notorious battery-hogs. Disadvantage: like all digital NV, you have absolutely *zero* starlight capability (unlike Gen1+ analog NV scopes, which do have some low light capability); you *might* be able to use it on a full-moon night, but realistically, you'll need an IR-illuminator; a decent one will run you another $60 or so, and of course, you've got to deal w/ batteries for the IR flashlight too...