PDA

View Full Version : Ed’s Red?

barnabus
01-26-2019, 07:42 PM
Anyone ever used Ed’s Red for cleaning their smoke poles? If so how did it work?

TNsailorman
01-26-2019, 07:57 PM
I can only say that it works very well for me. I have just finished buying enough of the chemicals to make another gallon jug of it. The last batch is about history and I sure don't want to be without Ed's homebrew. Clean a barrel as fast or faster than anything commercial that I have tried. I make it up and use it out of glass containers though. It melted the last 8 ounce plastic jar I put some in for storage. Within about 3 months the bottle was had began to sag. Try it, you will like it. james

barnabus
01-26-2019, 08:01 PM
I use it for my lead guns and use a old Sweets bottle. It seems to hold up fine.

Outpost75
01-26-2019, 09:25 PM
Anyone ever used Ed’s Red for cleaning their smoke poles? If so how did it work?

For black powder and milsurp ammo with chlorate primers I leave out the acetone and substitute distilled water an equal volume of and a bottle of Justice Brothers Cooling System Protector and Water Pump Lubricant. This creates what I call "Ed's Pink" which is a stable water emsulsion resembling Pepto Bismol.

01-27-2019, 01:16 AM
I've used it w/ o problems. Just dry patch before starting anew.

waksupi
01-27-2019, 11:52 AM
I've tried it. It seemed to set the fouling harder if you use it for the first swab. If water is used first, then go to Ed's Red, it works fine. I now just stick to water for cleaning, and Ed's Red after the bore is dry.

TNsailorman
01-27-2019, 12:57 PM
I guess I mis-interpreted the OP's use of "smokepole". Around my neck of the woods, a smokepole was any firearm, not just a blackpowder variety. I never used Ed's Red on any blackpowder firearm, only very hot soapy water followed by a hot water rinse and dry patch to dry the barrel out followed by a good oil patch. james

Static line
01-27-2019, 01:07 PM
petroleum products in a black powder firearm goes against everything I was ever taught. For me it's either just hot water and Dawn soap or Ballistol. I use my Ed's Red for my other bullet launchers.

rfd
01-27-2019, 05:20 PM
i've found over the decades that there is no need for anything other than plain, tepid tap water for cleaning bp residue. if one absolutely needs to use concoctions, then the firearm hasn't been maintained properly and reasonably immediately after use. after the last shot of the day, i run a sloppy wet moose milk patch out the barrel and leave the rod down there kissing the breech. this keeps the residue soft and away from oxygen. i have moose milk in a spritzer to wet down the lock as well. back at the ranch and after a water soak/flush clean (barrel and lock), some kinda oil on both is the last step. doing all this is fast and easy and will prevent serious issues down the trail.

indian joe
01-27-2019, 06:07 PM
i've found over the decades that there is no need for anything other than plain, tepid tap water for cleaning bp residue. if one absolutely needs to use concoctions, then the firearm hasn't been maintained properly and reasonably immediately after use. after the last shot of the day, i run a sloppy wet moose milk patch out the barrel and leave the rod down there kissing the breech. this keeps the residue soft and away from oxygen. i have moose milk in a spritzer to wet down the lock as well. back at the ranch and after a water soak/flush clean (barrel and lock), some kinda oil on both is the last step. doing all this is fast and easy and will prevent serious issues down the trail.

yes yes yes and yes again !!!
it mystifies me why fellers want to make something so simple and easy into some great chore but most of em do!

jonp
01-27-2019, 06:26 PM
Ive found Moosemilk made with Ballistol to work better

rfd
01-27-2019, 07:44 PM
"moose milk" typically signifies some amount of any kinda water soluble oil mixed with plain water. the oil is light amber, the water clear, and the mixture of both turns the results milky white. i use a 1:6 mix and prefer using ballistol. any decent gun oil is the last followup. if you take care of any fired bp gun ASAP, muzzleloader or cartridge, they will last longer, be easier to maintain, and work better.