PDA

View Full Version : C&R not accepted

Battis
01-26-2019, 07:03 PM
A few weeks ago I bought a M95 Steyr at Cabela's in ME. I went there today and they had a good looking Star 9mm Largo for a good price. It was C&R eligible but they would not sell it to me because I live in MA. They said it wasn't legal. Well, it is legal. I've bought several C&R handguns down the highway at the Kittery Trading Post in ME. If they said it was company policy, I'd be fine with that. But to say it isn't legal? Too bad.

Boomsticks Firearms
01-26-2019, 07:14 PM
I have had that problem before it’s usually because the people that are working at these type of stores don’t know the laws and or they don’t want an employee to make a mistake selling a gun that does not fall under this type of license

Battis
01-26-2019, 07:39 PM
The salesman told me about the 9mm Largo ammo being hard to find - I told him I have an Astra 400, so the ammo is no problem. This Star looked good and the price was $299. I actually tried to buy one online a few years ago (can't remember the company) but again, they wouldn't sell it to a MA resident even with a C&R.
I stopped in Kittery and they have a new supply of 1938 8x56R ammo (boxed,in clips) with Nazi markings for $8.00 a box (10 rds per box). I bought a bunch last week for $12.00 a box. Anyhoo, I have a lot of that ammo now.
I'd still like a Star.

nicholst55
01-26-2019, 08:13 PM
A lot of FFL dealers will not recognize a C&R for the simple reasons that they don't know what it is, and they don't know what guns are eligible. Even some ATF agents don't know what guns are C&R eligible. In today's world, I can't really blame them for sticking strictly to what they do know - even though it can be extremely inconvenient for us C&R holders.

wv109323
01-28-2019, 03:37 PM
The problem with a C&R license is the guns that are eligible changes every month if not daily. Plus there is issues where a gun was manufactured and was shipped several years later from the factory. Plus the ATF is constantly approving guns to the collectibles list.
While some guns are black and white many are gray. I could understand a store policy where they would not reconize a c&r license due to the extensive knowledge it would to stay within the law.

Battis
01-28-2019, 03:45 PM
I agree that it's a confusing business, but the salesman told me it was C&R eligible but not to MA residents. The store 20 or so miles down the road (same state - Maine) would have sold it to me. After all is said and done, I really don't blame companies for not wanting to deal with MA laws. It's just frustrating. Berry's bullets won't ship to me (for example). Midway agreed to sell brass to me but I had to send them a copy of my permit.

rl69
01-28-2019, 06:12 PM
So it's my understanding it is agenst federal law to sell a pistol to a out of state resident

So I take it that a C&R eligible pistol can be sold to a out of state resident with C&R license?

reddog81
01-28-2019, 11:38 PM
I asked around at close to a dozen different gun shops when I had mine and not one would sell to an out of state C&R holder. They’d ship the gun to you local FFL but after the shipping cost and FFL fees you’re spending an extra $50 along with additional time and hassle.

Battis
01-28-2019, 11:50 PM
I've bought several C&R eligible guns out of state (different states). My daughter lives in NH and recently bought a "modern" handgun in Maine without a C&R. It's legal to sell an eligible gun to an out of state C&R holder. Lots of places won't, lots of places will.

I should add that the out of state guns I bought were not shipped - I bought them at the stores.

Ed K
01-29-2019, 06:55 AM
KTP in ME performs the following service for NH residents: Customer purchases handgun in ME and then KTP employee follows customer across the border and transfers the firearm in NH - almost fun!

Battis
01-29-2019, 07:44 AM
They also do that for long guns bought by MA residents. Saves paying the ME taxes.

Shawlerbrook
01-29-2019, 07:48 AM
Don’t know about MA, but here in NYS since the SafeAct, C&R licenses are not allowed even for C&R eligible guns. Many dealers (Bud’s, Williams Gun Sight Co.) will not even deal to ffl dealers in NYS.

historicfirearms
01-29-2019, 08:21 AM
I've passed on several eligible guns because the FFl holder refused to get a little education. Their loss.

georgerkahn
01-29-2019, 08:42 AM
Don’t know about MA, but here in NYS since the SafeAct, C&R licenses are not allowed even for C&R eligible guns. Many dealers (Bud’s, Williams Gun Sight Co.) will not even deal to ffl dealers in NYS.

Shawlerbrook -- I'd be most appreciative if you would be kind enough to direct me to the source of this? Eighteen months AFTER the SAFE Act's passage, I made inquiry re a Model 8 Remington for sale in another state, to use my C&R, and I did not purchase it -- BUT, had I, my C&R (and the $$$) was all vendor told me was required for it to be delivered to my door. As NYS residents we may NOT use the C&R for handguns of any vintage -- but, I have not yet heard -- til your statement -- re any prohibition re antique/collectible long guns, rifles, and/or shotguns, regardless of sellers' location.
Re the OP's -- albeit I'm not smart enough to fathom "why" -- some model pistols are OK to buy for residents on one state, while being verboten in, say, another. I regularly read "not California compliant", "not for sale in Ma.", and even "for LEO in NYS" notices on some firearm sale listings. Perhaps the firearm in question may fit into this category -- or -- the store just doesn't wish to deal with consequences if one of their sales is an "oops"? Further, our requirement for shops to ring in a NICS background check may, indeed, have been the root cause?
Again, might you either copy/paste, or provide a reference where I may read this SAFE Act rule re this? I'm pretty much out of the firearm-buying market -- age & (retirement) income -- but, should I see an antique listed from another state...
Thanks.
geo

jonp
01-29-2019, 07:05 PM
KTP in ME performs the following service for NH residents: Customer purchases handgun in ME and then KTP employee follows customer across the border and transfers the firearm in NH - almost fun!

I had a gunstore in NH that would let me buy the handgun and carry it myself to an FFL in VT to run the paperwork and save me shipping. I'm wondering about the daughter that lives in NH and bought a modern handgun in ME. Unless she had it shipped then I don't think that was legal?
Only rifles and shotguns can be bought like that.

I think that the OP is running into what the laws are intended to do. Make it so hard to buy a gun that dealers just give up and refuse to deal with some states legal or not.

Battis
01-29-2019, 07:23 PM
I'm wondering about the daughter that lives in NH and bought a modern handgun in ME.

Let me add to that. She bought the gun in ME - paid for it in ME - but took possession of it in NH (down the road). They won't do that for MA residents unless it's a long gun. If I buy a handgun with my C&R they make me take possession of it in the store.

Battis
01-30-2019, 03:44 AM
I see things getting worse. One election that goes the wrong way and we're in trouble.

jonp
01-30-2019, 04:58 AM
I'm wondering about the daughter that lives in NH and bought a modern handgun in ME.

Let me add to that. She bought the gun in ME - paid for it in ME - but took possession of it in NH (down the road). They won't do that for MA residents unless it's a long gun. If I buy a handgun with my C&R they make me take possession of it in the store.

oh, ok then. I didn't understand that but from reading the other comments about the KTP I should have put 2 and 2 together. The Kittery Trading Post was where my wife first picked up a SW 500 and told me she needed one.

Wayne Smith
01-30-2019, 08:29 AM
Being in Virginia and having an FFL03 - If I go, for instance, to Kittery Trading Post (been there, loved it) and bought a qualifying gun, why can't they mail it to me in Virginia on on my FFL03? No different than if I bought it off a website and faxed it to them.

Battis
01-30-2019, 10:05 AM
Kittery Trading Post is good to deal with - they have a copy of my C&R on file, which makes buying easy (too easy). I don't know their shipping policies. Cabela's up the highway wouldn't sell a C&R handgun to me.
Well, here's a chance to check out their shipping policies:
https://www.kitterytradingpost.com/new-used-guns/used-guns/