PDA

View Full Version : Shooters accessory supply dies

Pavogrande
10-11-2008, 01:33 AM
Has anyone seen these dies or ever heard of them? "Shooters Accessory supply" , North bend Oregon -- I am sorting through the dealer leavings of a friends estate and found these three dies in presumably their original individual boxes -- Unfortunately the dies themselves are unmarked -- They are standard size, 7/8-14 threaded, and have a sort of parkerised finish -- Boxes all have an area for a hand written contents label --- #1. " Herters Ram" this die appears to perhaps form 30 cal bullets and has a small 1/8" diameter top eject rod and separate bottom push rod of ,3085. The push rod does not seem to fit a shellholder -- #2. " 308 lead - Top die - spitzer " Has a .308 eject rod but no other parts. #3. " 308 core seater die" very similar to #2 but has a .299 eject rod and a separate push rod that appears to be too small a diameter for the die at .266 diameter --

Any thoughts? Possibly something made by corbin or another maker and marketed by Shooter Supply? -- I have tried google and white pages with no success --

MT Gianni
10-11-2008, 01:24 PM
They might be a set to swedge a core, seat in a purchased 30 cal copper jacket and swege the spitzer top all together. Never used anything like it. Gianni

floodgate
10-11-2008, 08:30 PM
Pavogrande:

The proprietor of Shooters Accessory Supply was Ted Smith, who is largely responsible for the post-WWII interest in bullet swaging. Smith was Dave and Richard Corbins "guru", and got them started in the business. Dave has reprinted Smith's original booklet (with new illustrations) as "The Bullet Swage Manual" - currently out of print, but well worth looking for a used copy. Contact Dave Corbin for info on your dies; his current desings are different and not interchangeable, but he should at least be able to identify them for you.

Smith was also the inventor of the little powder trickler, now offered by many loading tool makers; I have an original, in its original box withinstructions.

Floodgate

Pavogrande
10-12-2008, 05:31 PM
Thank you FG & big G for the info -- The dies are a good quality and in good condition -- If I can sort out what other bits and pieces are needed to make them operational perhaps I'll give them a go -- I will also try contacting Corbin for info, but sort of hate to bother a feller with things not of his doing --

TAWILDCATT
10-31-2008, 04:25 PM
herter made a swaging press and also dies to go in a regular press.those probably went to the swaging press.like the C&H press.:coffeecom[smilie=1:

Kragman71
11-22-2008, 08:29 PM
herter made a swaging press and also dies to go in a regular press.those probably went to the swaging press.like the C&H press.:coffeecom[smilie=1:

I have one of those Herter's swaging tools.I also have some dies in 38 and 45 caliber,but NO complete set of either.
Do you,or anyone else,have a Herter's catalog of these items?
If I had a copy,I would know just what dies that I need.
Frank

scrapcan
11-22-2008, 11:06 PM
Kragman71,

Send a PM to Pressman to see if he can help you out. In other circles ( antique reloading tool collectors association) he is known as Mr. Herters.

Pavogrande
11-23-2008, 01:49 AM
K-Man -- I have had a bit better luck with info on the herters dies -- I have several sets of the dies, one box of which has a set of instructions for use, but alas no parts breakdown --
However, the directions indicate the set consist of three items ---- Die, nose punch, and special shell holder -- The die itself has 6 parts, body, 7/8-14, with lock nut, - base punch - knock out rod guide ( also serves as base punch retainer) with lock nut, and palm push knock out rod --
Bullet is made base up, bleed off thru the nose punch --

Special shellholder is just a standard holder for the calibre - 38spl for 38, 30/06 for 30 etc - but has no center hole drilled for primer removal/install --

Sales receipt does not indicate date but die set cost $5 and half jackets cost $6 --

Herter catalog numbers on boxes are SD 601 - 22 , SD 60 -30 and SD 60 - 38
Apparently avilable in 22, 6mm, 30, 38, 44 and 45 calibres ---

There may have been other herter 7/8 dies but if this sounds like yours, i could provide you photos of the bits and pieces and a copy of the directions -- gb

Pressman
11-30-2008, 07:15 PM
Just a tidbit of information on Ted Smith. He is best remembered for his swaging dies but he also gave us something else, the powder trickler.
Ken