PDA

View Full Version : stick on wheel weights

dolang1
10-10-2008, 10:33 PM
Hello, First post of many as I have been lurking for a while. Today, I received a bucket of wws from my new best friend. About a fourth of the bucket was made up of stick on weights. I had never seen these before. They cleaned up very easy with a power washer. Are these the same lead as the other wws, and should they be treated the same? Thanks for all of the info I have garnered from this site. Later Don

oneokie
10-10-2008, 10:46 PM
Stick on ww's should be treated as nearly pure lead. Keep them seperate from the clip on weights.

HeavyMetal
10-10-2008, 11:19 PM
Yep, stick on's are best kept seperate from Clip on type ww's.

The stick on's will soften the Clip on alloy!

Save these for BP loads, or target 38 / 45's that are under 800 FPS!

They can also be used to "blend" harder alloys, such as Linotype / Monotype into softer alloys and get more "mileage" from the hard to find type metals!

Don't be disappointed and don't refuse them! They can always be traded or used as I mentioned!

Good score!

cbrick
10-11-2008, 01:03 AM
Don, Welcome to Castboolits :-D

Here's a link that should help you out with wheel weight and or alloy questions.

Cast Bullet Alloys (http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletAlloy.htm)

Hope this helps,

Rick

dolang1
10-11-2008, 08:07 AM
Again, Thanks for all the information. Later Don

r6487
10-11-2008, 06:18 PM
I am still able to get 5 gallon buckets of ww from several sources for free (every couple of months 2-4 buckets). In these I have a few steel weights and beginning to show up are a few zinc weights(gold colored). I have always also had in the mix assorted sizes of new stick ons. I also assumed these stick ons were pure lead however, when I get a pot melted and beginning skimming of clips/zinc/steel weights these stick ons are underneath (in the liquid) and take significantly more time to melt than regular ww. Makes me think they are actually a harder alloy than regular ww and are not pure pb.

oneokie
10-11-2008, 06:29 PM
when I get a pot melted and beginning skimming of clips/zinc/steel weights these stick ons are underneath (in the liquid) and take significantly more time to melt than regular ww.

Pure lead has a higher melting temperature than WW's.

Russ in WY
10-11-2008, 07:13 PM
John Boy posted the composition of Stick On's the other day when I had a ? about them.
0.377% SB, 1.45% Sn, 0.029% As, 98.144% Pb. FYI. Russ.