PDA

View Full Version : CB and BPCR first deer

BlackPowderLove
01-25-2019, 04:47 PM
I have done a lot of shooting with cast round ball in flinters and rope-burners, but this year was my first year using a BP burning Cartridge rifle. I have a 45-70 Sharps that I picked up this summer as my first and decided to use it for deer hunting this year.

With two young daughters hunting and with pneumonia, my time in the stand was limited. My wife also demanded that the freezer get filled. Anyway, the first night of the season, I had two doe walk out at about 105-110 yd. After debating which was bigger (both appeared to be very large doe fawn), I decided to try taking both. Anyway, they lined up to where I was able to take one in the head with the other (behind it) in the shoulder. Both dropped and tags were filled quick. No bucks for me, but both my daughters got their first bucks which was better!

Hickok
01-25-2019, 05:55 PM
It don't get no better than that, 2 for the price of one!

That is a beautiful Sharps.

DougGuy
01-25-2019, 06:03 PM
WTG!! I did that one year with a Ruger Vaquero in 45 Colt, got two with one shot on my birthday..

smoked turkey
01-25-2019, 07:23 PM
BlackPowderLove you get double points for that move. Nice rifle and glad you got your freezer filled so quickly. I hope you get over that pneumonia right a way. That stuff is nothing to mess with.
It has always been said that the 45-70 will shoot through a horse end to end or not to shoot when an animal is behind the one you are shooting at because it will punch through both of them. You have proved that old saw is true.

marshall623
01-26-2019, 06:35 PM
Good shootn , man that was slick

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

woodbutcher
01-26-2019, 11:09 PM
:kidding: Well,he was just conserving powder and lead.Or he`s just a penny pincher[smilie=s:.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

crankycalico
01-27-2019, 01:08 AM
wonder what diameter the bullet was when it hit the second.

gumbo333
01-27-2019, 10:43 AM
Do you have to use a DEWC to do that????

richhodg66
01-27-2019, 10:56 AM
Full freezer, congrats. Congrats on your kids getting theirs even more so, it's a good feeling.

sharpsguy
01-27-2019, 11:14 AM
When the bullet hit the second deer, it probably was about the same size it was when it hit the first. Nice rifle, and good job on the deer.

Several years ago, in South Africa, I shot a warthog at 209 yards using my Sharps in 45-70. The bullet was 50/50 COWW and lead, 480 grains and flatnosed. A Lyman 457121, in fact. The 3f black powder pushed the bullet to 1244fps. The warthog was standing broadside, right in front of a really big prickly pear cactus that had a trunk about 30 inches in diameter.

The bullet hit the warthog square in the shoulder, went through him AND the cactus, and hit a second warthog that we hadn't seen that was behind the cactus. The 480 grain bullet shot completely through the second warthog as well and was not recovered. The exit wounds in both animals showed very little expansion.

I actually have this on dvd. Penetration through and through two warthogs and 30 inches of cactus--what's not to like, and why hunt with anything else?

Big Goose
01-30-2019, 10:16 PM
Nice Sharps, great shooting, and just awesome that the girls each got a buck as well.

Big Goose

DeputyDuke
01-30-2019, 10:31 PM
BPL, I'll bet you are the only guy on this whole forum to have killed deer with a "rope burner". Wanna expound on that a bit?

Duke

BlackPowderLove
01-31-2019, 09:55 AM
BPL, I'll bet you are the only guy on this whole forum to have killed deer with a "rope burner". Wanna expound on that a bit?

Duke

Not much to expound on. For awhile I was playing a lot with matchlocks. As I like to do, I decided to use it for hunting. I ended up taking two nice tom turkeys and a doe with it that year. The doe was on a cold day (-10 iirc) and my feet were starting to get cold. I got up to move around (something I rarely do in these occasions). I did a slow walk and saw a distant doe. I was able to stalk through tall grass to about 100 yd of it when I ran out of good cover and had concern as the wind was to my back. Surprisingly, the doe smelled the match cord burning and was curious. She ended up coming in half the distance and I was able to make my shot.

And then there is hunting with homemade medieval crossbows with homemade quarrels. HA!!!!

01-31-2019, 02:39 PM
Wow. Matchlock can't be easy. WTG.