PDA

View Full Version : How close

gumbo333
01-24-2019, 09:54 PM
So sitting in a ground blind, how close has a deer ever gotten to you? Either sex. To start, I have had at least 2 bucks and 2 does within a yardof me. I was sitting in an old lawn chair with some old downfall with green pine and cedarlimbs stuck in them. I could have touched them with my rifle barrel. Plus 1 young spike that I reached thru and grabbed it's little antler. I have never used a scent cover on my cloths but do put out scent on cloth strips 50 yards away. And I always wear a face mask and gloves, covering all skin. All after I reached 50, 22 years ago.

fatnhappy
01-25-2019, 12:12 PM
sitting in a ground blind with my back against an Oak I turned my head left and could see the doe's ears.
I turned my head right and could see her flanks.

I had a little fork horn I poked with my shotgun barrel because he was too close.

Chad5005
01-26-2019, 12:57 AM
2 does this year at about 3 yards at different times

Texas by God
01-26-2019, 12:54 PM
Close enough to see their eyelashes. I almost killed a Turkey when he heard my camera click and the autowinder spin. He flushed like a quail and hit the blind hard. He was dizzy when he split!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

1Papalote
01-26-2019, 09:02 PM
I had two does pass close enough I could have grabbed their legs. Better judgement prevailed and I just enjoyed the moment.

1Papalote

Tripplebeards
01-26-2019, 10:25 PM
Ive had them within arms reach or less turkey hunting sniffing me on a few different occasions. Same with Red fox I could have petted and a few coon within a foot or two away in the spring while doing hen yeps on a diaphragm call. I’ve had birds land on me and my arrows and squirrels crawl across my feet, and a huge owl try to land on my head bow hunting a few years ago as well. Pretty cool stuff that makes your day even when nothing’s harvested. I’ve called in bobcat and coyotes that have come from behind me passing by with arms reach heading to my decoy that has raised the hair on my neck. My favorite was pushing away a javalina from me with my muzzle loader barrel while I was elk hunting. My fault I dropped a pop tart next to my homemade ground blind he wanted. Popping his teeth and grunting the whole time. Almost needed a new pair of underware after that.

Forgot about the mountain lion, I was calling about six years ago in AZ with a friend, I had him sit down wind about 30 yards from me. I heard crunching a few feet behind me while I was playing some dead rabbit on my fox pro and I could hear the slow crunching heading towards my buddy’s direction. My hunting partner popped out of the brush and ran out in the open yelling. He happened to pull a rookie move and sat right on a run/path and that lion walked within 8’ of him while it was circling my decoy and caller. He turned around t see what the noise was and lucky for him the lion ran the other way. Im still riled up that I took him with. It would have been my first called lion.

gumbo333
01-27-2019, 10:37 AM
Really neat how many hunters have made lasting memories of up close encounters. Now that lion is in a whole different class. Thanks everyone for sharing.

ElCheapo
02-15-2019, 07:45 PM
First deer I ever got was a spike. I was standing between 2 pickup truck sized boulders and he poked his head around one of them for a look at me. Might have been 15 feet away.

dverna
02-15-2019, 09:04 PM
6 feet. Young doe. Jut sat and looked at her.

shootsblanks
02-22-2019, 06:29 PM
i had my arm inside a few deer!
that is pretty close right?

oh.... live ones...

i had a gorgeous muley 10pt walk 7 yards from me this fall, broadside, perfect presentation, i was sitting at the base of a poplar with a smoke in my mouth while peeling an orange. i guess he could smell i only had a whitetail tag too.

Rick R
02-22-2019, 09:50 PM
I had a young four point almost trip over my tent blind last Fall. I literally could have reached out the window and smacked his south side. He finally figured he was somewhere he shouldn’t be and trotted off about twenty yards. I still could have thrown an arrow and hit him.

500Linebaughbuck
02-22-2019, 11:18 PM
it took me several weeks but i had a doe this summer and fall that would eat corn or apples out of my hand.

missionary5155
02-23-2019, 09:18 AM
Good morning
Set the fur on fire of a doe with my .58 muzzleloader as she went past where I was leaning against a huge old cottonwood. If she had been any closer would have had club her.
Mike in Peru

trapper9260
02-23-2019, 11:08 AM
I had 8 point buck came 6' from me when sitting in some CRP and only had a path in it toward path for shot with out any blind just the weeds and was going toward my lure I had out and shot him with my crossbow and the bolt went through him and hear it hit something else after and took off Did not find it .But was told where it was when I was trapping the area. Also had some does came just as close and some sparrows land on my head.

JMtoolman
02-23-2019, 05:57 PM
A number of years ago I was setting behind a small pine tree with a muzzleloader watching a spring and hoping for an elk. Two bull moose walked out of the brush right behind me and passed on either side about eighteen inches away! Could have touched them both at the same time! I was really sweating it, they could have stomped me in an instant! They went down to the spring about forty yards away and stomped in the water for a bit. I was just starting to calm down when another cow moose walked out right behind me and passed me in the same manner. Could have touched her also! Man was I glad when they drifted off down the slope and in the timber. I left then and there!