PDA

View Full Version : Help With A Bread Machine. Bread Always Falls

jonp
01-24-2019, 01:01 PM
We used a Sunbeam for years and got great breads from it.
It died so i used some points and had a Cuisinart sent and not a cheapo either. Well, we have not gotten one loaf of bread from it as the dough falls every time. I've tried about everthing including measuring the temp of the water, proofing the yeast and adding lecithin to King Arthur bread flour to no sucess. I switched from Red Star yeast to Fleichmans and tried bread machine, quick and regular.

Anyone have another suggestion before we throw it out?

Moleman-
01-24-2019, 01:08 PM
Ours works better if the milk and butter are room temp or use a few hours of delay start. Otherwise the loaf of bread is Short and very dense.

DougGuy
01-24-2019, 01:11 PM
I use KA recipes along with modifying some of them like adding 1/2C sourdough starter, nuts, raisins, cherries, etc... I have never used a bread machine and so far have not missed using one.

farmerjim
01-24-2019, 01:17 PM
Anything can make it fail. We use a cheep machine to mix, knead, and first rise the dough. We shape the dough to the loaf we want and bake it in the oven. We make at least one loaf a week. The most common problem we have is too little or too much moisture. We check 5 min into the knead cycle and adjust with extra flour or water. If it is falling, it is probably too moist. It is hard to know without being there.

robg
01-24-2019, 05:41 PM
had one as a present worked OK .but when it died went back to doing it by hand.

farmerjim
01-24-2019, 05:55 PM
had one as a present worked OK .but when it died went back to doing it by hand.

As cheep as they are it is too easy to use the dough cycle. Beside a bunch of different breads, we also use it for pizza crust. Venison pizza is good.

MaryB
01-24-2019, 06:00 PM
The order you add ingredients is VERY important in some machines... water/yeast/sugar in the bottom, flour in a mound, salt in an indentation in the flour. Machine heats the water and yeast to proof it before mixing and getting the salt distributed(which can stop the yeast form doing its thing during proofing)

Winger Ed.
01-24-2019, 06:15 PM
Maybe it's timer is not giving the right interval for the dough to rise.

ryan28
01-24-2019, 06:55 PM
Too much water and or sugar and yeast. Cut down the water first, see what you get. Only make one change at a time. I have owned a bunch of these machines, and it always takes a bit to get them dialed in.

Conditor22
01-24-2019, 07:15 PM
Take it back. You're using a recipe that has worked for a long time, IF you're following the order of putting the ingredients in the mixer (following the instructions) I'd get a refund or replacement. you've wasted to much $ on a faulty machine

iomskp
01-24-2019, 08:09 PM
Years ago Mum decided she would teach herself to make bread, this is long before bread makers were invented, it turned out that solid and heavy that Dad gave it a couple of coats of varnish and we used it as a door stop for years.

Winger Ed.
01-24-2019, 08:20 PM
it turned out that solid and heavy that Dad gave it a couple of coats of varnish and we used it as a door stop for years.
That's funny. My Mom said when she was growing up, her first biscuits were so hard, the dog wouldn't eat them.

Jens
01-24-2019, 08:41 PM
I would say to much water.here is what I use 2tea salt, 2 table sugar,1 2/3 cup water,1/2 stick margarine,a little olive oil,2 cups white bread flour,1 cup wheat flour,2 table powder milk,2or3 tea yeast, that's the basic recipe.

jdfoxinc
01-24-2019, 10:17 PM
1/2 tsp of lemon juice will help according to my toastmaster machine recipes. If you are making 100% whole wheat essential gluten 1 tbsp per cup of WW flour is needed.

jonp
01-25-2019, 01:29 PM
thanks for the tips. the recipies are right from the manual so i figured they were tested in that machine. i also tried a couple off the internet but all were for basic white.
i will start with the water amount then try the lemon juice i think.

Wag
01-26-2019, 12:48 PM
I make better bread by hand anyway. But if I do use the breadmaker, I have to check it repeatedly on the first knead cycle and add water or flour to it to make it the right consistency. It's never right from the very beginning for some reason, regardless of the recipe I use. Of course, you have to know what it's supposed to look like, too.

There are few "no-knead" recipes out there, too, which work quite well.

Best of luck figuring it out.

jonp
01-26-2019, 01:33 PM
To all who make handmade bread, I also love it and especially the left over pieces which we fry up and douse with maple syrup. When you get up at 0330-0400 it's nice to have hot bread waiting for you which is where the machine comes in.

snowwolfe
01-26-2019, 03:47 PM
Hard to find something better to eat than a thick slice of warm homemade bread covered with butter, jam, honey, or peanut butter.

mold maker
01-26-2019, 05:19 PM
That's funny. My Mom said when she was growing up, her first biscuits were so hard, the dog wouldn't eat them.

I used my wifes first ones for skeet, several times. At some point in the future, someone will mine the range and find them with only a few #9 sized dents.
Her Mama made heavenly biscuits, so I thought she would also.

fiberoptik
01-27-2019, 01:34 AM
After about 5 minutes of mixing, check for a consistent ball of dough. I wait for it, scraping sides down into mix. After 5, if need be, add tablespoons of water or flour to get it right. Temperature/humidity/barometer/etc all affect outcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rockrat
01-28-2019, 11:56 AM
LOL on the biscuits. Grandad said his MIL made biscuits that would float in the air and his Mom's biscuits would break a toe if dropped on your foot and kill someone if you threw one at them and hit them in the head!!!

Took awhile, but I finally got to where I can make a decent biscuit.

jonp
02-24-2019, 02:37 PM
Giving it another try today with the suggestions. I looked at it about 5 min in and the dough looked watery to me even after reducing the amount so I added another 1/4 Cup Bread Flour to it. I have always used King Arthur with good results.

farmerjim
02-24-2019, 03:26 PM
Add flour or water in less than tablespoon amounts then test the dough ball with a finger after a couple of minutes. It should leave a slight dent when poked with a finger. It takes only a small amount of liquid or flour to go from dry to soup or the other way. If you don't get it, try making a loaf by hand. It will show you exactly what the dough should be like. You can't kneed a ball of dough that is too wet or dry by hand. I made all mine by hand for 20 years before I got a Kitchen aid with a dough hook, then was given a bread maker. I taught my wife how to make bread and now she can do it better than me.
Good luck and don't give up.

jonp
02-24-2019, 08:21 PM
Well, the bread fell again after rising enough to overflow the container. We have had enough of this thing and it's in the back of the truck to be taken to the dump. I varied about everything from water, sugar, flour etc I could and it just won't make a loaf of bread. Cusinart is a waste of money

fiberoptik
02-24-2019, 10:40 PM
Take it to Goodwill, not the dump!
That’s were I found mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Land Owner
02-25-2019, 06:25 AM
I don't agree jonp. The dump is "too good" a demise for that thing. Someone might salvage it and be in for the dissatisfaction of their lives. I am not a bread maker, wish I was as I love just made and warm bread right out of the oven, but your dissatisfaction in that Cusinart should be meted out at the RANGE via double barreled 12 gage ("00" buck shot of course), 338 Mag, or 45-70. Blow it AWAY for some visceral satisfaction!

Echo
02-25-2019, 01:34 PM
Years ago Mum decided she would teach herself to make bread, this is long before bread makers were invented, it turned out that solid and heavy that Dad gave it a couple of coats of varnish and we used it as a door stop for years.

Love it!