PDA

View Full Version : Stolen Motorcycle

sigep1764
01-23-2019, 10:11 PM
To all the St Louis folks here, my motorcycle le was stolen today. It's a 2017 Kawasaki Z900, black with silver trim stripes. Please call South City Patrol if its seen. It would be much appreciated. Will post photo as soon as the lady of the house gets home with the laptop.

swheeler
01-23-2019, 10:33 PM
Sorry to hear that! The scum are probably already headed out of state with it. Just a couple days ago, man and woman stole a travel trailer out of the police impound in broad daylight, they are sitting in jail though.

sigep1764
01-23-2019, 10:51 PM
Im pretty sure I saw it this morning when I left for work at 8am. So yeah, stolen in broad daylight. And I live in a nice neighborhood, The Hill.

tigweldit
01-23-2019, 11:00 PM
That really sucks! I wish the scumbag thief all the worst. I am a biker. I hope your machine comes back to you.

gnostic
01-24-2019, 12:06 AM
Sorry for your loss. Did they pick it up and carry it away? In mexico, the dealerships chain their new bikes to the floor. I have a lock alarm on my rotor, that make a loud noise if the bike senses movement...

osteodoc08
01-24-2019, 12:36 AM
Nice bike. I miss mine. 2016 ZX-14R SE. Sold it during the (ongoing) divorce to pay for money grubbing lawyers. Hope you get yours back.

sigep1764
01-24-2019, 12:49 AM
We'll see what happens. Its being blasted all over facebook, the cops know about it, and insurance is called. Was gonna pay it all off next month too!

Lloyd Smale
01-24-2019, 08:21 AM
that sucks. Sure hope you get it back in one piece.

Thundarstick
01-24-2019, 08:23 AM
Was the key in it? I guess I really do need to get a rotor lock for mine if they are that easy to boost. With any luck they'll wrap it around a tree while the in the saddle!

KCSO
01-24-2019, 10:53 AM
When we lived in the city my neighbor's Harley was stolen, they cut the chain and drug it over his Corvette! If they want it they will get it. Good luck on getting something you WANT back. Most if not stripped in 24 hours come back as an abused ***.

sigep1764
01-24-2019, 10:59 AM
Unfortunately what KCSO has said is correct. This is the second bike thats been stolen and I worked REALLY hard to earn it. First brand new vehicle Ive ever bought.

osteodoc08
01-24-2019, 05:54 PM
Unfortunately what KCSO has said is correct. This is the second bike thats been stolen and I worked REALLY hard to earn it. First brand new vehicle Ive ever bought.

There’s a special place for thieves. A man works hard for what he has to only have it stolen. I hope you had it insured.

sigep1764
01-24-2019, 10:17 PM
It was fully insured. Both keys are hanging on my door. No idea how they got it, prolly picked it up and put it in a van. It's being blasted on Facebook and I'm checking craigslist/Facebook marketplace religiously. Prolly wont see it again but I sure liked her and still want her back if shes in good condition.

lefty o
01-24-2019, 10:30 PM
i hate thieves, but with a bike too easy to steal, and sadly was probably in 100 pieces within an hour.

sigep1764
01-24-2019, 11:05 PM
Its just the fact that they think they are entitled to what I have simply because they want it or the money it represents. They do not have the slightest idea of nor do they care about the hundreds of extra hours working to establish myself at my company, fixing things myself to save the business money, taking work home to analyze and make better decisions, training/developing employees, getting the promotion I deserved, and finally rewarding myself with my first brand new vehicle that I use to save even more money for things like a fiance and a house. Id love to bury that guy in the four corners of a field and smile every time I ripped by.

Got it all out, rant over.

lefty o
01-24-2019, 11:07 PM
Its just the fact that they think they are entitled to what I have simply because they want it or the money it represents. They do not have the slightest idea of nor do they care about the hundreds of extra hours working to establish myself at my company, fixing things myself to save the business money, taking work home to analyze and make better decisions, training/developing employees, getting the promotion I deserved, and finally rewarding myself with my first brand new vehicle that I use to save even more money for things like a fiance and a house. Id love to bury that guy in the four corners of a field and smile every time I ripped by.

Got it all out, rant over.

i agree 100%. ive long felt it should be legal to kill someone who steals from you.

Thundarstick
01-24-2019, 11:10 PM
Just a bummer! :cry: I have bicycles and motorcycles that I think I'd mourn over if they were stolen, and their not even anything really special to anyone but me. So, if they pick them up, a disk lock is only going to annoy them a minute or two at the most, just sad.

mtnman31
01-25-2019, 12:01 AM
I once had a bike (Yamaha R1) stolen. I was younger and lived in Southern Kalifornia at the time so, could only afford liability. Total loss and never recovered. Mine was stolen in broad daylight while I was at work. Hope you get it recovered and the thief/thieves caught.

bob208
01-25-2019, 10:17 PM
I saw a demo. on how they steel bikes. 4 strong men two pipes. one pipe through front wheel one pipe through rear wheel one on each corner up and off it goes to back of a truck.

Plate plinker
01-25-2019, 10:25 PM
i agree 100%. ive long felt it should be legal to kill someone who steals from you.

Agreed should be open season.

historicfirearms
01-29-2019, 08:25 AM
A guy I work with, his brother had a motorcycle stolen in northern Michigan five years ago. He just got a call last week from the police in Florida. They found his bike and are holding it for him until he can come pick it up. The kid that was riding it almost crashed into the police car.

Hickok
01-29-2019, 08:59 AM
Hate to hear about the theft of your bike.

In days gone by, it was a known fact that you did not touch a persons motorcycle, or the owner would go full medieval on your body.

Today snowflakes and millennials don't know the "rules."

I once came back my motorcycle that was parked, and a young punk was sitting on it while his buddy was standing there grinning.

The sentences that came out of my mouth were equivalent to the gunny sergeant in "Full Metal Jacket" as I approached the two little darlings.

They disappeared as fast as their long baggy pants would let them.

My Concours 1400 has a computer and needs the "fob" that is coded to the computer in order to start. Without the "fob", I wonder how a thief would be able to ride the bike? Maybe they just chop the bike up for parts.

I imagine many of the new motorcycles have a computer system.

2wheelDuke
01-29-2019, 09:47 AM
A guy I work with, his brother had a motorcycle stolen in northern Michigan five years ago. He just got a call last week from the police in Florida. They found his bike and are holding it for him until he can come pick it up. The kid that was riding it almost crashed into the police car.

I'm curious about what kind of bike and where it was recovered.

We get a ton of motorcycle activity around MLK weekend. For some reason, they've decided in the hood that "holidays" are open season to ride dirt bikes and ATV's on the street. This year, there were alot more street bikes than past years.

They figure if they do it en masse, that most of them will get away. Some agencies with more cowardly administrations just let them. Or in some of the worse cities down here, there's way too much violent crime for the few cops they have already, so it's just a free for all. But some departments do everything legal to get them.

The ones that run out of gas, crash, or break down all go to jail in my neck of the woods. Most of the time, their bike is stolen.

You can guess by my screen name that I'm a bike guy. Bike thieves should be treated like horse thieves of the Old West.

RED BEAR
01-29-2019, 09:53 AM
Sorry to hear. Hope you get it back soon and undamaged.

sigep1764
01-29-2019, 03:48 PM
Still no good news. Insurance is leaving the claim open until Feb 6th to allow enough time for it to turn up. At least all the leftover bikes from last year are going on sale. Found a brand new 2014 discounted deep local. Last one left of the 4 they bought. There are a couple other used bikes in the are that are interesting.

dpoe001
01-29-2019, 07:09 PM
A couple years ago a cop shows up at my buddy door. You ( his name ) know where your (year make model) is ? He looks at cop and says yea in my storage rental.Cop looks at him and says no we have been watching it for a couple days now figured it was stolen every time we go to the abandoned building where it is it is in worse shape you might want to go get it. When we got there with my truck wires were cut and hot-wired back tire bald and flat,left side dented and scratched real bad,clutch was toast.We took it back to my garage he called his insurance they later told him it wasn't covered because it wasn't reported stolen.

sigep1764
02-03-2019, 12:47 PM
Well Gents, they found my motorcycle. Early report says the ignition is punched and has a cracked fairing. I already looked up the parts, $350 max. That is, if thats all that is wrong with it. The Lady of the House is taking me to the tow yard to check her out this morning.

Wag
02-03-2019, 01:00 PM
That's good news on all counts. Hope it isn't too bad.

--Wag--

Petrol & Powder
02-03-2019, 01:53 PM
So now that it has been recovered, how much is your deductible?

Your insurance should cover the damage incurred due to theft and they are generally happier to pay a little money to fix a recovered vehicle as opposed to paying out to replace an entire stolen vehicle.

Of course the insurance company may pay that claim and then drop you. So pick the lessor of two evils: either pay to fix it out of your own pocket and don't make a claim OR make the claim, pay the deductible and accept that you'll be shopping for insurance soon.

Because the bike was likely abused severely when the thieves had it you might want to look long term and just repair the lock cylinder before selling it.

There are several paths you can go down:
fix the lock cylinder and sell it
fix everything out of your own pocket and keep it
make the claim, pay the deductible and fix everything then sell it
make the claim, pay the deductible, fix everything and keep it

Before deciding which path to take, inspect that bike very carefully and do ALL the math.

lead-1
02-03-2019, 06:37 PM
Check it over with a fine tooth comb, don't forget to check for any type of leak or sign of hard running abuse. Some of these punks like to sit and see how hard they can rev a bike to show off and stoppies/stunts are hard on fork bearings and seals.

sigep1764
02-03-2019, 06:55 PM
Didn't get to see it this morning. It wasn't in the yard, but the building was very large with lots of garage doors. I suppose it was inside. I will be doing a full inspection of the bike including looking at the oil/coolant, tires, cables, suspension, everything. I want this bike back only if it wasn't abused. Insurance companies are well known for totaling a motorcycle after a theft recovery regardless of condition in order to avoid litigation for a potential future crash caused from damage from the theft.

lead-1
02-04-2019, 12:26 AM
On another note I know your kick in the gut feeling when you find out your bike has been stolen. Back around '81 I was walking home from the library and when passing the police station the garage door was open. When I glanced in there was an orange and black Yamaha TT500 sitting there, I had the only one in town that I knew of, there was a yellow and white one but not orange. I ran the rest of the way home and unlocked the garage only to see my bike gone, ran to my Dad's body shop and we went over to claim it. Lucky for me there was NO damage at all, the bike was found about two blocks from my house in a back alley, shoved into some shrubs to hide it and the property owners called the cops. If you know anything about a TT500 there was a ritual to starting them big hosses and I found out who stole it, the thief was 100 pounds soak'in wet, bike probably kicked him back and he said screw it, lol.