PDA

View Full Version : Adjustable Chokes... Comments/Recommendations Please

Old Ironsights
10-10-2008, 10:29 AM
I'm looking to get a Vent Rib barrel for my M500 Riot Gun and am considering putting on a screw-in adjustable choke that will handle both Steel & Lead.

The ones I've looked at (in the catalogue) are the Poly Choke & the True Glo.

Any comments about which might be better & why?

Dixie Slugs
10-10-2008, 11:05 AM
Be sure to take a look at the Poly II. It screws into the threads in the barrel for the choke tubes. We tested them and our entire group bought one. They have the advantage that they can be removed if one wants to use one of the supetight Turkey tuibes.
We set them up for Tri-Ball guns with the Poly II and Tru-Glo adjustable sights on the rib.
If you want to shorten the barrel....contact Mike Orlen
Regards, James

Old Ironsights
10-10-2008, 11:24 AM
That's the one I was thinking of. True Glo makes an equivelent that looks to have a slightly lower profile (smaller OD) but I haven't heard reviews of it.

As for the brel length, I can get a 20" with screw-in chokes - though I'm leaning to 24"

Poly CHoke http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas
/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat602007-cat20805&id=0034429227516a&n
avCount=2&podId=0034429&parentId=cat20805&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=
XH&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20805&hasJS=true

Tru-Glo http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabel
as/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat602007-cat20805&id=0016118225021
a&navCount=4&podId=0016118&parentId=cat20805&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogC
ode=IJ&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20805&hasJS=true

Dixie Slugs
10-10-2008, 11:50 AM
The Vert Poly II (the only way to go!) sticks out of the barrel 3". We use lots of short 20" barrels, plus 3" Poly II, in the Remigton Express guns that we hunt with in close cover. That Vent Poly II does cut down on recoil with heavy loads and that helps for faster follow up shots.
The fellows that shoot Tri-Ball loads like the Poly II since they can dial in the size group they want...same with buckshot. You need to braek in the Poly II by adding some graphite or Moly to the treads that squeze down the choke fingers. It does not take long to smooth it up where it turns very easy. We always crank them up to Imp. Cyl. setting when we store the gun for any period. Unlike the Cutts and others, the Poly II likes plastic wads....but should be checked on occasion for plastic residue.
Regards, James

Old Ironsights
10-10-2008, 12:14 PM
Ok. Thanks.

Now how about this: My favorite Double has 26-3/4" barrels (lock-face to crown) with an OAL of 43"

A Mossberg 500 with a 20" barrel is 38-1/2" - making it 41-1/2" with the Poly
A Mossberg 500 with a 24" barrel is 43-1/2" - making it 46-1/2" with the Poly

What disadvantage is there to the 20" vs the 24"? Will a gun that has a 3" longer OAL swing enough differently to make it more important to buy the 20"?

Dixie Slugs
10-10-2008, 12:36 PM
Lot's of the turkey hunting, shooting out of a blind like the short 20" barrels...actually they had them cut in front of the 21" rib post. I do not like the swing of a 20" barrel, unless it has the Poly II on it. From a ballistic stand point there will be somewhere about 40'/" diffence depending on the burn rate of the powder/ It really a thoss up

dakotashooter2
10-19-2008, 12:49 AM
I had a poly put on my 870 years ago. I rarely use the gun now but it was my goose gun back then. I loved the versatility. I've often considered having the barrel cut back to 18" and the poly re-installed for a home defense or turkey gun.

ovendoctor
10-19-2008, 09:34 AM
I had a poly put on my 870 years ago. I rarely use the gun now but it was my goose gun back then. I loved the versatility. I've often considered having the barrel cut back to 18" and the poly re-installed for a home defense or turkey gun.

have this set up with a cutts comp.

shoots really nice but extreamly loud[smilie=1:

Dixie Slugs
10-19-2008, 10:30 AM
I am not here to knock. or push, any type of adjustable chokes, but rather point out some things for the shooter/hunter to consider. The two must popular chokes have been the Cutts and The Poly. The Cutts has a vent cage on it as does the Poly...however on the Cutts the shot must travel unsupported some distance before entering the choke. The Poly has adjustable choke fingers before the shot enters the vert portion. Test have shown the the Cutts did not work as well with plastic wads as with shot without plastic wads. There was a day that if your Skeet gun did not have a Cutts on it you just were not in the drill. Those gun had a spreader tube and only the reduced recoil was taking affect
Now...we see most shotguns coming out threaded for choke tubes. The Poly II is designed to screw into those barrels. With that setup, you can have the best of all worlds....use a super tight Turkey tube, a tube set up for steel, ect...and still screw in the Poly II for full adjustment from Cylinder down the Extra Full. Ole'Dixie has tested the Poly II and we use it on our Tri-Ball guns.
Just some thoghts indeed!
Regards, James