PDA

View Full Version : I am looking for a less smokey lube for 9, 40 & 45 for USPSA, IDPA & Steel comps??

Russel Nash
10-10-2008, 04:07 AM
A'yup, just like the title says.

I have NOT begun to cast yet.

I do have a Star lube sizer with a heater, though.

I normally use Clays and Titegroup for powders, but I have heard that Winchester Super Target produces less smoke.

Do you all have any recipes for a less smokey lube?

Thanks!

PS: I did a search first and I did just surf through the 13 pages of threads in this sub-forum.

NuJudge
10-10-2008, 05:39 AM
I use the NRA 50/50 lube. At low pressures, it is smokey. At higher pressures, and in higher pressure cartridges, it is far less smokey.

You probably want to go with one of the synthetics, and you may end up mixing your own.

CDD

dromia
10-10-2008, 06:14 AM
Lars Carnauba Red, see the link to LsStuff at the bottom of the page.

Lloyd Smale
10-10-2008, 06:55 AM
most lubes that dont smoke much dont lube that well in my opinion. Lars carnauba is one that smokes a little less and still does lubricate.

missionary5155
10-10-2008, 08:05 AM
Another solution is ALWAYS be the most upwind shooter... Shucks a little smokescreen was always recommended in tank commander school.

Navahojoe
10-10-2008, 11:29 AM
Gun smoke, that is like Hoppe's #9, Felix Lube or Chanel # 5. You gotta "Love em"! :mrgreen:

regards from North Alabama
NavahoJoe

Russel Nash
10-10-2008, 12:56 PM
Every now and then, the IDPA or USPSA stages will have you shoot through a barrel. The barrel has both ends cut off and is placed horizontally.

All that smoke just hangs inside that barrel.

With the steel plate matches, you just stand there in one position and shoot 5 steel plates as quickly as possible. Most of the time that ain't that much of a problem, excpet when the matches are just starting in the morning. The sun can be at a really low angle and a breeze hasn't really started yet. So again, the smoke just hangs there.

If you guys are really, really bored and have a high speed internet connection, you can watch the first person view videos of my matches by clicking the link in my signature.

It is NEVER more that one person up at the line with a loaded gun, so the smokescreen bit never affects another shooter.

mstarling
10-10-2008, 08:12 PM
Pretty much ain't no such thing as a completely smokeless cast load. Carnauba Red is about as close as it comes. WSF is a relatively smokeless powder too. Works great in the 9mm and 40.

For IPSC I always practiced with cast ammo and used jacketed bullets for matches. Reduces the cost of the sport while giving you the best at matches.

Shepherd2
10-10-2008, 10:00 PM
Lyman advertises their Orange Magic lube as low smoke. I used it until I switched to LARS Carnauba Red. There doesn't seems to be much of a difference in the smoke to me. I shoot cast in IDPA matches and the only times I really notice the smoke is when the weather is very humid.