PDA

View Full Version : new to casting

brianjblair76
01-18-2019, 02:59 PM
i have been looking on here and cant seem to find what im after.i have cast some 375 swc 158g bullets.do i need gas checks if i use liquid alox?of any other lube.and does any one have any load data for that with titegroup powder?

John McCorkle
01-18-2019, 03:06 PM
Lots of factors too complex to boil this down to a simple yes no, but in most cases the answer would be no.

Let me explain however, first, welcome!

Secondly, fit is King...I never understood this for a while until I really got down to brass tacks on fitting bullet to bore size.

Third, pressure dictates alloy and need for gas checking...if your pressure is too great you'll get gas cutting ,(lead fails to keep pressure behind bullet allowing it to flow around as the lead being shoved out of the way gets deposited in the grooves of your bore.

This leads to fourth, pressure is often and most commonly dictated by caliber...are you shooting 38 special? 357 mag? 357 max? 35 Whelen? Pistol or rifle?

Why I say in most cases no you won't need a gas check that most folks are using that bullet in 38 special and 356 mag pistols at lower not max charging (pressure)...if you are starting out with 357 mag and going first off into max pressure I'd advise against it. But if you are doing what I assume you're going to be just fine with lla as long as your fit is right on that bullet to your bore

Hey, welcome and thank you for joining in the fray! Good luck

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

brianjblair76
01-18-2019, 03:37 PM
yes It is a 357mag review revolver I'm shooting.i will be use the min load on it

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

John McCorkle
01-18-2019, 04:05 PM
yes It is a 357mag review revolver I'm shooting.i will be use the min load on it

Sent from my SM-G965W using TapatalkLee reloading 2nd shows 4.5 grains as a start loading for 357 mag 158 lead bullet...I have a feeling you could likely go below that and be fine but stuck with published data at first.

I have used Tite group in 38 spc loading down to 3 grains on a 158 lead bullet...if you find any 38 spc brass laying around the range, pick it up you can use it in your 357...,treat it gentle and it'll outlast your patience to keep count on how many loadings (heard one chap got like 65+loadings on a single piece of 38 spc being light on his loads)

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

brianjblair76
01-18-2019, 04:13 PM
oh wow that's awesome.i have been shooting .38spl to.i am debating weather or not to try making some gas checks.but if I dont need them that will help keep the cost down lots and more enjoyable to shoot

toallmy
01-18-2019, 05:14 PM
Welcome to cast boolits , I see your questions are taken care of . So I'll just say have fun and be safe .

Conditor22
01-18-2019, 06:38 PM
welcome to CB.
rule #1 never accept anyone's load data without double checking it with a published source. Some firearms will handle much higher pressures than others and we all make mistakes ie trposition errors.

don't have a book, no problem
Link to free online load data
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?337910-CB-load-data-online-sources

typically 357 mag and 38 spcl shoot boolits (lead bullet) sized to .358.

there's a lot of good information here http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Contents.htm

I've never found the need to use a gas check with 38/357

I usually start thinking about gas checks around 1700 fps

daloper
01-18-2019, 07:12 PM
Welcome aboard. Let the madness begin. Just keep thinking about ALL the money you will save.[smilie=1:

brianjblair76
01-18-2019, 09:44 PM
thanks guys

Tom W.
01-18-2019, 10:05 PM
Another one is hooked.... Good fishing!

44Blam
01-19-2019, 12:49 AM
Welcome aboard. Let the madness begin. Just keep thinking about ALL the money you will save.[smilie=1:

I know I'll save more money if I buy that bolt-action .308. The bullets for that cost $1.75 and I can cast and load them for about $0.35! That's SAVING $1.40 per boolit! Let's go SHOOT!

gwpercle
01-19-2019, 10:21 AM
Welcome to the casting club !
The best advice I can give you is purchase a copy of Lymans Cast Bullet Handbook #4 .
Lots of great information right there at your finger tips. When I bought my first mould back in ...long time ago... the Gunshop owner pulled out the new #2 Handbook and told me I that " You will need this"...man was he ever right , it is the best single guide a newbe caster can have...and Read all of it !
Oh Yeah....all that money we save , just keep repeating that .... I tell my wife that line every time I buy more "stuff"...and you will buy more stuff...trust me !
Gary

gwpercle
01-19-2019, 10:25 AM
Another one is hooked.... Good fishing!

Should I get the net ?

Petrol & Powder
01-19-2019, 11:25 AM
WELCOME !

I see that most of your questions have been answered.

I'll second the advice given back in post #7 to read Fryxell's book on cast bullets - probably the BEST source of cast bullet knowledge condensed into one very handy reference.

I'll also second the opinion that gas checks are seldom needed for 38/357 loads. In fact, I avoid gas checks like the plague in all handguns.

Good Luck.