PDA

View Full Version : Help with posting Uploaded Pics - They turn sideways

JBinMN
01-18-2019, 06:08 AM
The Problem:

When I upload pictures to the forum, many times they turn 90 degrees from what they are when I took them & how they are in my laptop.

I do not have a clue why this is happening.

I have been trying different things to try to compensate like "pre"- turning the pics before I upload them, and that usually does not work.

I have tried deleting the attachments & then re trying & still most of the time it doesn't help to change the orientation of the pic to its proper view.

This does not happen, "every' time, I upload, but so often that it is a real inconvenience.

I have also noticed it happening to others on occasion, while even other folks have them post right side up.

Does anyone have a solution, or a way to help me so that I can get the pics I post to be in the proper orientation every time?

JBinMN
01-19-2019, 03:32 PM
Anyone?

I am just gonna bump this up hoping someone will be able to help.

Der Gebirgsjager
01-19-2019, 03:49 PM
Are you taking the photos with a phone?

HangFireW8
01-19-2019, 03:54 PM
Let me guess... uploading from an iPhone?

JBinMN
01-19-2019, 04:04 PM
Yes. The pics are from an Iphone.

dragon813gt
01-19-2019, 08:18 PM
Copy the photos from the iPhone to your desktop. Click on them to open. Check the orientation. If it’s wrong, correct it and it should automatically save.

I’ve found that if you’ve taken a pic on the phone, and then rotated it that there are two versions saved in DCIM folder. You may be picking the wrong one. And for whatever reason pics I thought I was taking in landscape mode have saved as if I was holding the phone normally. When rotating them, through the edit function on the phone, two versions are saved.

I can take some snips of the folders if you need some visual guidance. You can fix the orientation once the photos are on your desktop.

JBinMN
01-19-2019, 10:01 PM
Copy the photos from the iPhone to your desktop. Click on them to open. Check the orientation. If it’s wrong, correct it and it should automatically save.

I’ve found that if you’ve taken a pic on the phone, and then rotated it that there are two versions saved in DCIM folder. You may be picking the wrong one. And for whatever reason pics I thought I was taking in landscape mode have saved as if I was holding the phone normally. When rotating them, through the edit function on the phone, two versions are saved.

I can take some snips of the folders if you need some visual guidance. You can fix the orientation once the photos are on your desktop.

I have been taking the pics from my Iphone, then emailing them to my email acct., then I download them to a "dedicated" new folder with the name of the group of pictures. Then I go to make the post & use the icon for pics in the toolbar above the post & upload then they are in the post.

I have tried deleting the ones that are oriented wrong & then orienting to the 90 turn opposite of how they show up right in the folder & that usually does not work.

In a little while I will try to do what you are saying right here in this topic with some test pics & see how they come out.

Thanks for your trying to help!
:)
:drinks:

JBinMN
01-20-2019, 05:52 AM
The Problem:

When I upload pictures to the forum, many times they turn 90 degrees from what they are when I took them & how they are in my laptop.

I do not have a clue why this is happening.

I have been trying different things to try to compensate like "pre"- turning the pics before I upload them, and that usually does not work.

I have tried deleting the attachments & then re trying & still most of the time it doesn't help to change the orientation of the pic to its proper view.

This does not happen, "every' time, I upload, but so often that it is a real inconvenience.

I have also noticed it happening to others on occasion, while even other folks have them post right side up.

Does anyone have a solution, or a way to help me so that I can get the pics I post to be in the proper orientation every time?

Every photo editing program has an edit function. One of the edits is "rotate".

I use an iPhone with a MacBookPro using Apple Photos 4.0. If I hold the iPhone upside down taking a pic, that's how they show up when downloaded to my Mac. So ---- Edit>Rotate ----- all fixed.

Thanks for trying to help. You may have missed it in the OP I quoted above, where I underlined it and bolded the "not" in the quoted post, but I have tried that & it usually does NOT work.

----------------------
This picture of a Loadbooks manual was taken with the Iphone with it in proper orientation to read the cover like it was a book right in front of you & not sideways:

As you can see it up loaded 90 degrees off to the left.

Now I will go to the pic file while choosing the same pic, but I will edit/orient the original 90 degrees to the right to try to compensate for the pic showing up 90 deg. to the left.

And as you can see, the re-orienting before uploading did NOT work.

So, any ideas on what to do, please?

JBinMN
01-20-2019, 06:45 AM
You turn them AFTER you upload them to you photo editing program on you computer NOT before.

These are being uploaded using THIS forums photo uploading program & posted. Not thru another website. Laptop to Forum with no other place. Editing after the pic reaches the Forum is not an option, so it must be done at the source computer with this forums system.
IOW, I am not uploading them to Photobucket or some site like that, then to the Forum, but direct from my computer to here in the Forum post I am making.

Sure, I could upload them that way, but that is not what I wanted to do. I was trying to solve the issue I was having with this Forums uploading system.

I appreciate your taking the time to respond though. If I do not get this resolved using the Forum system, then I will consider using another "hosting" website like Imgur, or the like. I just did not want to do that.

Perhaps that was not clear before & I apologize for that being omitted in the OP.

{BTW, If you were not aware...Photobucket recently played a type of "hostage"game with charging for hosting after years of not doing so & then ruined many links to pics from years ago. I do not wish to have that happen again.}

Thanks!

sureYnot
01-20-2019, 07:24 AM
Thanks for trying to help. You may have missed it in the OP I quoted above, where I underlined it and bolded the "not" in the quoted post, but I have tried that & it usually does NOT work.

----------------------
This picture of a Loadbooks manual was taken with the Iphone with it in proper orientation to read the cover like it was a book right in front of you & not sideways:

As you can see it up loaded 90 degrees off to the left.

Now I will go to the pic file while choosing the same pic, but I will edit/orient the original 90 degrees to the right to try to compensate for the pic showing up 90 deg. to the left.

And as you can see, the re-orienting before uploading did NOT work.

So, any ideas on what to do, please?The first pic does not appear sideways to me.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Hickory
01-20-2019, 07:26 AM
I haven't read all the replys, but someone here said that if you crop the pictures first it will not go on its side. Might be worth trying.

JBinMN
01-20-2019, 08:14 AM
I haven't read all the replys, but someone here said that if you crop the pictures first it will not go on its side. Might be worth trying.

Thanks!

I will try that next.

JBinMN
01-20-2019, 08:19 AM
Well I tried cropping the right edge & the bottom in just a little bit... And it looks like it works!

Thanks Hickory!

I think I will leave things be for now & try cropping before I post anymore pics. That way I am not filling up my allotment of pics here with test samples.

Thanks Much to all who tried to help!

:drinks:

Randy C
01-20-2019, 08:50 AM
I am pretty sure you can delete the pictures that you don’t need online that way It don’t take up so much of your allotment

JBinMN
01-20-2019, 09:22 AM
I am pretty sure you can delete the pictures that you don’t need online that way It don’t take up so much of your allotment

I will go check that out.

Thanks for the suggestion!

JAMESGR
07-09-2021, 03:05 PM

JAMESGR
07-09-2021, 03:08 PM

JAMESGR
07-09-2021, 03:12 PM
Sorry, I didn't mean to hi-jack the thread. I was having trouble with orientation also. These are my test pics. Got it figured out.
Thanks for understanding,
JAMES
JAMESGR