PDA

View Full Version : A bittersweet good day...

Typecaster
10-09-2008, 03:12 PM
A couple of days ago I got a call that an old guy in town has Parkinson's disease and was having to move out of his apartment into a facility...and he had a "bunch" of books for the Friends of the Library book sale (one of my civic duties). I gave him a call and took the truck over to box and schlep the books back to the library. As I was unloading the second truckload, I noticed a mint copy of the Sierra manual, so I grabbed it (that's the advantage of being in charge of the book sale).

I called the old gent to thank him for the books, and told him I'd found one I was going to buy. When he found out it was a reloading manual, he said to come on back and he had some reloading equipment in his carport for the Salvation Army to pick up—but he'd rather it went to someone who was interested. He said he hadn't been shooting in about 20 years, and his son now had all the guns. I knocked on his door, and he said he'd just remembered that he had 3 or 4 "boxes" of ammunition in his closet, but I'd have to get them out if I was interested. OK, I was interested. I expected a few boxes of 38 Special or 9mm, but the "boxes" (4) were metal filing boxes 9x12x6, completely full of boxed commercial ammo (FMJ, SP, and factory lead). I wiped the drool off my chin and thanked him, then we went to the carport. There I found a minty (used once; he liked to shoot but found he didn't like to reload) RCBS Rockchucker (that makes 3) outfit—press, measure, stand, funnels, 4 reloading blocks, about 30 MTM cartridge boxes, etc. I thanked him again, and headed for home with the loot.

I was just sitting down to a celebratory martini with my lovely wife, when he called to thank ME for helping him out by taking the stuff.

This morning I took a quick inventory. After tossing reloads—
1 brick CCI small pistol primers
6 boxes CCI large pistol
2 bricks .22 LR, CCI & Win.
5 boxes Rem .22 shorts
5 boxes Win .22 Mag JHP
4 boxes CCI .22 LR Stingers
14 boxes .25 ACP
1 box .380 Auto
17 boxes 9mm
4 boxes 38 Super Auto+P
6 boxes 7.65 Auto
2 boxes 32 Auto
1 box 32 H&R Mag
10 boxes .357 Mag
2 boxes .41 Mag
5 boxes .45 ACP
2 boxes .44 Mag
4 boxes 30-30 Win
and probably 20 revolver & pistol grips, both take-offs and Pachmayer rubber aftermarket

Obviously this guy was stocking up for Armageddon, or at least Y2K (whatever happened to that, anyway?). Anyway, stacked up by caliber, it looks like the shelf at a gun shop! The bittersweet part is that a former shooter has left the game, and even though I gained a whole bunch of "stuff," that's sad.

And I guess that there's a lesson, too: It never hurts to mention your interest in this vice.

Richard

EMC45
10-09-2008, 03:24 PM
Very cool story. I always mention it and also look at yard sales and such. Recently bought out a guy's basement of all his reloading gear for 130 bucks! He was older and said he was done reloading. I got a bunch of stuff- Reloading, casting, primers, powder, bullets, etc. Nice haul, but it was kind of sad too. I know how you felt.

Dale53
10-09-2008, 04:28 PM
typecaster;
Nice story. There are still some really nice people out there. I hope that you remember the gentleman this Christmas. A nice visit would I am sure would brighten his day.

Dale53

HamGunner
10-09-2008, 04:42 PM
There is much knowledge locked up in many an Old Timers "noggin" and maybe a vist now and again will do both of you some good. I learned many things, as a boy, from some of the older gentlemen in our area. I still learn from the elderly, when I can get them to talk, and they usually have a better memory of the past than they do of yesterday.

docone31
10-09-2008, 05:04 PM
I have a lot of those folks for customers here.
When they find someone who is genuinly interested, it is their joy to hand the stuff over.
I got a faceter, complete casting facilities, double my shop in equipment from folks like that.
When they get the chance to show what they know, it seems to give them a second chance at life.
After a while they do not come by anymore. I wonder what happened. Did they move, pass on, or just stay home now.
I always make sure they know I appreciate the gifts, and utillize them.
That is always what they wanted. Their own children don't care.
They are always grateful someone did.
You did good.
He is not going to want to be bugged, but once in a while drop by and ask some questions.
He might feel young again, at least for a moment.

leadeye
10-09-2008, 05:08 PM
Sounds like there were nothing but winners in that story.

1Shirt
10-09-2008, 05:09 PM
Have always said that even a blind hog occaisionally finds an acorn. Hope one of these days I am as lucky, and have my blind hog moment. Congrats!
1Shirt!:coffee:

Refraktorius
10-09-2008, 05:12 PM
Good story!

He absolutely deserves a bottle of good whiskey at X-mas!

Buckshot
10-10-2008, 01:15 AM
.............A couple years back one of the Tuesday range guys drove past a yard sale and thought he saw an old railroad switch stand. Turned out it was parts and pieces for some kind of manual water pump. What he DID buy was the peoples passed on grandfather's Kowa spotting scope. The story was he was a big time bird watcher. When he had gotten sick they had stored some of his stuff, and now it was out on the lawn. They asked if he thought $25 was too much, geez!

I don't know what model it was but it must have had an 80mm objective. The tri-pod was probably worth $100 easy. Nice to have a scope that will let you count the paper fibers intruding into 22 cal bullet holes at 200 meters :-)

................Buckshot

Hipshot
10-10-2008, 07:55 PM
That story kinda reminds me of myself !!!! I retired 7 years ago and soon noticed that I have a S***T load of ammo that I reloaded and collected over tha past 55 years !
I said to myself-----"You better start to shoot some of this stuff off before you die or it will all be a waste"!
Well that didn't work-----I enjoyed it so much I started reloading more stuff, bought another 4 rifles and bought more molds to cast with. The shelves ar getting fuller!
I think they know me by my first name at Midway !!!

OH WELL !

Hipshot :Fire:

Typecaster
10-10-2008, 09:18 PM
Hey Hipshot—
I always seem to miss the boat. A "vacation" was always something other people had for the last 20 years since I started my own business. Then we started saving for "retirement," and you can guess the rest...

Richard