PDA

View Full Version : 38 spl loads with 9 mm bullits

Divedigger
01-09-2019, 10:39 AM
I got 1 thousand Bullet Meister 9 mm 135 gr 356 dia cast RN and wanting to know if I could load some 38 spl for S&W 642? The bore slugged at 351 Any advice appreacited as I am always learning Thanks Divedigger

45-70 Chevroner
01-09-2019, 11:08 AM
If you got a true bore measure although that sounds like a small bore for a smith. Your Meister boolits should be fine. Load one and check to make sure it will chamber, and it should.

marek313
01-09-2019, 11:41 AM
I would think .356 is not going to be accurate and you'll probably end up scraping lead out of your barrel because for .38s most people use .357+ depending on gun itself of course. I cast Lee 356-125-2R but I PC on top of that and size to .3575 and use that in both 9mm and 38S. If you can PC those that will give you addition .001-.002 which should be enough.

Did you measure that bullet or is that .356 just from the label? Many 9mm projectiles out there including cast are .355 so make sure you measure to double check. It will work if you want to try but my guess is that its not going to be accurate.

kir_kenix
01-09-2019, 11:54 AM
S&W barrels are hard to measure (odd number of grooves) without a v-block and some math. I'd bet bore dimensions are significantly larger than .351. Good chance you will get some leading from the undersized boolits...but only one way to find out for sure. If you really want to use them load up a few cylinders worth and see how they shoot.

lightman
01-09-2019, 12:06 PM
I'm another that is going to question your measurements. I'm guessing that your bore will be larger than .356 and that you will get some leading and maybe poor accuracy. But you can always load up a few to try. Just don't load all of them until you know how they will work.

mdi
01-09-2019, 12:20 PM
SAAMI calls for a groove diameter of .355" although that sounds tight to me. Most of my 38/357 barrels measure .356"-.357". I would also measure the cylinder throats. If the bullet is much smaller than the throats, leading will occur. Try pushing a bullet through the barrel and see if it fills the grooves, or just shoot a few and check the barrel for leading...

The smaller bullets won't pose a danger, just the accuracy and leading issues...

gwpercle
01-09-2019, 02:29 PM
Maybe...only way to tell is load and shoot a few.
I doubt your bore is only .351 but if close to .356 it might work.

I bought a NOE 9mm mould, 124 grain TC design that drops right at .3575.
I size them .357 for 9mm and run them through a .358 lube/sizer die for 38 special and 357 magnum loading. This one is cut for a gas check so no leading problems.
The truncated cone gas checked boolit is extremely accurate in both the semi auto 9mm and in the revolver loads....very versatile boolit mould to have, if you are interested in a mould for 9mm/38 spcl/357 mag. ....this is a good one.
Gary

Larry Gibson
01-09-2019, 02:41 PM
I've shot lots of (several thousand) commercial and my own cast bullets 120 - 125 gr 9mm sized .356 in S&W 39 SPLs (M15s, M10s and M36s) loaded over 4 gr of Bullseye. They all shot quite well. My own were lubed with Javelina (NRA 50/50) and the commercial were TL'd in LLA and allowed to thoroughly dry. I got quite good accuracy and no leading. I used the load for PPC and TRC practice at 5, 7, 10,15 and 25 yards. I also used that load because of the lower recoil in training/qualifying LEO's who carried snub nosed M36, M10, M19 S&Ws and a couple Colt Detective SPLs.

Divedigger
01-09-2019, 05:41 PM
How is the right way to slug a bore, I drove in muzzle and push out the forcing cone with aluminum rod. I poured 1k 358156 and water quenched and they came out .362, can these be loaded without sizing? Thanks for the yrs of knowledge in a few sentences

RED BEAR
01-09-2019, 05:47 PM
i used to do it all the time one gun shot quite well couldn't tell the difference another groups did get bigger but that is the only problem you might run into so my advice is give it a try.

dverna
01-09-2019, 06:07 PM
I've shot lots of (several thousand) commercial and my own cast bullets 120 - 125 gr 9mm sized .356 in S&W 39 SPLs (M15s, M10s and M36s) loaded over 4 gr of Bullseye. They all shot quite well. My own were lubed with Javelina (NRA 50/50) and the commercial were TL'd in LLA and allowed to thoroughly dry. I got quite good accuracy and no leading. I used the load for PPC and TRC practice at 5, 7, 10,15 and 25 yards. I also used that load because of the lower recoil in training/qualifying LEO's who carried snub nosed M36, M10, M19 S&Ws and a couple Colt Detective SPLs.

Very interesting. I have about 10K commercial 9mm bullets sized .356 and thought for sure they would lead in my 686's. Will need to try them out. Might have to use BLL but that would be OK as it is a fast process.

reddog81
01-09-2019, 09:11 PM
First it’s .356 bullets through a .351 bore and now it’s .362 bullets through a .357(presumably) bore. Both will probably work and there are hundreds if not thousands of threads on those topics, however if I’m going to take the time to cast, lube, and reload a bunch of rounds I do it correctly.

Divedigger
01-09-2019, 09:17 PM
Thanks for all everybodys help and more reading found that this has been covered quite a bit on this site. Again Thanks

RogerDat
01-09-2019, 09:29 PM
You can use a little force applied to the nose of the bullet to bulge it out to a larger size. If you have a drill press with a stop and chuck up an iron bar or arbor press with a stop that can simplify the task. Other options include pipe or collar that limits how far down you crush the nose which in turn limits how much the bullet expands. Set bullet in collar, tap nose with hammer or steel block. Running the bullet through a sizer for 38 afterwards will provide consistency and the rub on the sides will confirm the diameter was determined by the sizer. Your bullets might go from RN to RN with a little FP but the RNFP is a good .38 special round.

This is an idea that was passed on to me when I found a coffee can of store bought cast 9mm rounds in scrap yard and did seem more efficient than melting and recasting. Besides the light bullet sort of appealed to me as a thing worth trying.

mdi
01-10-2019, 03:24 PM
How is the right way to slug a bore, I drove in muzzle and push out the forcing cone with aluminum rod. I poured 1k 358156 and water quenched and they came out .362, can these be loaded without sizing? Thanks for the yrs of knowledge in a few sentences
I wouldn't. They are averaging .005"+ over groove diameter, which may be to much. You will be sizing those .362" bullets .005" or so. I've done it with no major problems, but as I understand excessive sizing reduces the accuracy potential. Also, the sizing die doesn't remove any lead, and the lead has to go somewhere, most likely the lube grooves will get smaller and you'll get metal "flash" on the base. Like I said, I don't have a problem when I've had to size bullets that much, but I rarely will. If you are water quenching those bullets they may be a little difficult t size down .005" as the bullets will be pretty hard.

If your alloy is wheel weights or softer, your bullets may drop a bit smaller and just air cool them. If you still have to size them it will be much easier on you and your equipment...

winelover
01-11-2019, 09:58 AM
I've shot undersized bullets for years, mostly with gas checks, without leading. Commercial cast are usually undersized with a pretty worthless lube. Tumbling with LLA will help.............Larry beat me to it. I currently have several boxes of Meister 240 RNFP's that I'm slowly using up. Mostly in my 44 CA Bulldog, short barrel. Even though the throats are at .432 diameter, Accuracy is very good at 7-10 yards, with no leading. Can't say what the barrels slugs at.............never once slugged a barrel. Revolver throat diameter is far more important............slip fit with bullets, intended for use, works for me.

Winelover