PDA

View Full Version : RCBS wooden mallet

handloder
01-08-2019, 06:40 AM
Anyone use the wooden RCBS mould mallet? What are the dimensions? Weight? I've seen complaints about insufficient weight to cleanly cut the sprue with a single stroke. This complaint seems very subjective, but it might be true. On the other hand, the recommendation to use generic tool handles are definitely going to be too light IMHO. I'm very concerned about too-light mallets as the casting person may have to strike the sprue plate too much thereby causing warpage of the plate over time. Any idea what species wood is used?

Wild Bill 7
01-08-2019, 07:49 AM
Don't know the weight but they are very light. My guess is half pound or so. I have one that was given to me by my mentor when I started casting boolits about 20 years ago and it is still in the original box. If I were to use it I would consider boring a hole in the top and pouring some lead in it to make it heavier. As of now I use a wooden mallet it is showing it's age but still works fine. Hope this helps you.

bosterr
01-08-2019, 08:19 AM
I used a hickory hammer handle for years but lost it in a move. I tried the RCBS tapper and thought it was too light. I only use one to push the sprue plate open and not to drive it open but it didn't feel right in my hand. I switched back to a hammer handle and like it much, much better. It may have more to do with the added length.

Baltimoreed
01-08-2019, 09:46 AM
Where I worked we went through shovels like crazy. The blades would get broken or the handles break. Occasionally I’d find a bad one with a good handle. My current knocker is a piece of shovel handle with the rubber coating on the end with the bare wood end cut aquare. You can wack the sprue cutter or push it. Works good.

Uncle Grinch
01-08-2019, 10:27 AM
I use trimmed limbs from my shrubs and trees. Typically crepe myrtle or sycamore. Both are very hard and last a long time. I pick a section about an inch in diameter that has a slight bend to it. Then you trim it to the length and size that works for you. Simple, economical and there are plenty still left outdoors!

jimkim
01-08-2019, 02:35 PM
I use my rawhide mallet. I've had it for seventeen years. I think they may outlast wood. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190108/13b5760c9a6cee7c84ae59fd031f809d.jpg

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

Walks
01-08-2019, 02:42 PM
I use either a hickory hatchet handle with the head end padded with several wraps of duct tape to cushion my hand, or a poly hammer, depending on the striking tab of the mold I'm using.

Conditor22
01-08-2019, 04:00 PM
+1 on rawhide mallets. I have then in 3 weights for different purposes.

pjames32
01-08-2019, 04:13 PM
Hickory handle or 12" from a wood baseball bat. Friend uses a rawhide mallet, another a plastic tipped hammer. Lots of choices.

Boomsticks Firearms
01-08-2019, 04:19 PM
I have been using a dead blow hammer I think it’s pound and a half works great long as you don’t leave it closed any hot bullets or the Molds for too long because it melts pretty quick.

Duckiller
01-08-2019, 04:52 PM
I use a hickory hammer handle that never made it into a hammer. It is my original whacker and is starting to show its age. For wood working I have a mallet made of Arbor vita (Ithink) . itis unbelievable hard and very difficult to turn. Got a big hunk from, Rockler to use with chisels and if I can find a smaller piece i will turn it into a mould mallet.

Wheelguns 1961
01-08-2019, 05:16 PM
I use one of those small souvenir baseball bats that they sell at the ballparks. Works great.

TNsailorman
01-08-2019, 06:20 PM
I have used 2 mallets for years. One is a wooden mallet like the one JimKim' leather mallet. The other is an old hickory hammer handle that came off a Plumb claw hammer. The hammer and handle were from the World War II era and the handle had broke at the wrist where it went into the hammer's head. Both are very old but get the job done nicely. james

Walter Laich
01-08-2019, 07:24 PM
another caster put me on to this teardrop mattet for HF.

Not sure which end to use as both do the job--thinking I'm going to like it

https://www.harborfreight.com/2-inch-teardrop-mallet-66205.html

tazman
01-08-2019, 09:17 PM
+1 for the hickory hammer handle. I use the ones that are made for the 2 and 3 pound hammers. Enough weight to cut cleanly and they last for years. I have worn 3 of them out over the decades.

Starvnhuntr
01-08-2019, 10:06 PM
I never whack my sprue plates with anything I just push them with a gloved hand. I do use a piece of wooden 1 inch dowel with a few wraps of tape to beat the #@() out of the hinge pin if a boolit wont drop easy.I think that piece of dowel has been in use for about 20 years.

Airman Basic
01-08-2019, 10:23 PM
Been using the RCBS mallet for thirty some years.
Didn't know it wasn't supposed to work, I guess.

country gent
01-08-2019, 11:06 PM
I use a 8 ounce dead blow with the slim line head. It works very good for me. I've been going to make one up strictly for this. I have used a lot of handles over the years. the best was a piece of 1 1/4" oak dowel with 4" of tygon tubing on each end. One to cushion the sprue plate and one for grip. It was about 12" long

When using these it should be more of a push than an actual blow. The dead blow does this quite well

beagle
01-08-2019, 11:34 PM
You come on down to my place. I have enough Osage Orange here to equip the whole nation with casting mallets. Cut your own and tailor to your desires. They will last forever./beagle

poppy42
01-09-2019, 12:00 AM
I was using an old piece of 2x4 that my dogs chewed on. They had it chewed down to a kinda club shaped stick thing. But, alas they took it back as they weren’t done chewing on it! By the time they got done with it, it loaded more like a tooth pick than a club! Now I use a tire thumper. The ones long haul truckers use to check air pressure on their rig tires. Oh yah I make sure I hide it from my 4 legged wood shaping puppies. You’d be amazed at what 2, 130 lb Bullmastiff ‘s can do to a piece of wood, or anything they choose, for that matter! Lol!

owejia
01-09-2019, 10:26 AM
Wood mallets keep splintering small pieces off, so made one using straight copper fitting poured full of lead with a bolt through a wood handle. Does not bounce, works good.

lightman
01-09-2019, 12:47 PM
A friend bought one of the RCBS mold tappers years ago when we first started casting. It would drop splinters and small pieces of wood in his freshly cast bullets. Not really a big deal and I think he still uses it today.

At the same time I started using a plastic mallet. I'm guessing that it weighs 6 or 8 oz. It has a brass body and the plastic part is about 3/4 inch in diameter. When casting, I never put it down. I'll open and close the bottom pour lever control with my trigger finger, hit the sprue cutter with the plastic hammer, tap in the mold handle bolt to drop the bullets, close the sprue cutter with the side of the plastic hammer and continue on. It sounds complicated, seeing it in print, but it actually works quite well.

Bazoo
01-09-2019, 03:06 PM
I like a heavier knocker than a hammer handle. I use a piece of cherry that is about 2"x12" Gives a solid whack instead of those taps that lighter instruments do. For those that want something heavier, you can easily find suitable dowel stock at a hardware/lowes. Either oak or birch would be acceptable, Not poplar. Buy a piece of the desired diameter and cut it to length.

handloder
01-12-2019, 03:52 AM
Thanks, everybody, for your insights. For those that say they 'push' the sprue plate open, how do you push open a hardened sprue? The rawhide hammer type seems bulky for my casting table. Otherwise, there is a rough consensus for hickory. I'd love to have some sticks of sycamore or osage orange about 2" in diameter.

tray999
01-12-2019, 01:16 PM
I am new to casting, but an experienced wood turner, so I made my own..... Here it is:

[img]https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7902/46662709412_ec319fbe6c_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2e6qzNC)

Yea, I know it will not look this good for long...... :razz:

sharps4590
01-12-2019, 01:43 PM
Having enough Osage orange in Missouri to drive most farmers nuts, I agree with beagle. Tough stuff!! Secondly, what tray999 said. I have access a wood lathe and am going to turn one out tomorrow. My old hammer handles are worn to a point on both ends and not much account any longer.

rockrat
01-12-2019, 02:32 PM
Been using a plastic headed mallet for last 30 years or so. Used to use the wooden mallet then a plastic one that a friend turned out of materlial like a cutting board.
Making a mallet out of Bois 'd Arc would be quite a mallet!!

Dragonheart
01-15-2019, 04:37 PM
I would suggest make your own. Salvage an oak or hickory handle out of a shovel. Cut it to your desired length then drill out a tapered hole in the center down a few inches. Pour melted lead in the hole to add whatever weight you desire. Wrapping the tapper end with a few layers of duct tape softens the blow and aids in keeping the wood from splintering. A duct taped layer of thin foam will make a soft handle. One old handle will make several.

greenjoytj
01-15-2019, 08:24 PM
I had the wooden RCBS mallet, it was too light so it took multiple hits to cut the sprue and doing so splintered off small slivers of wood. Eventually half the diameter split off in one great chunk.
I tossed it out after that.
Now I just use a piece of maple 1”x2”x12” when it wears out I cut another.

Ickisrulz
01-15-2019, 11:18 PM
I used an RCBS mallet when I first started casting. It worked fine and I eventually wore it out (millions of splinters over several years). Now I use pieces of tree limbs I cut, sand and finish. They are free for me and work just as well.

scotner
01-22-2019, 08:41 PM
I was out in the reloading room yesterday and put the RCBS mallet on the postal scale. 4 oz. Did not note dimensions. It was 45° out there.

Huvius
01-22-2019, 09:02 PM
I don't like the idea of whacking on the sprue plate of any mold.
I use a foot long piece of aluminum pipe - it fits well over just about any sprue plate, easy to use to push the plate closed again and stays nice and cool.

https://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg312/Huvius/Mobile%20Uploads/ECF0AE9E-6A35-426A-8A2A-91326F75A70B.jpg (https://s251.photobucket.com/user/Huvius/media/Mobile%20Uploads/ECF0AE9E-6A35-426A-8A2A-91326F75A70B.jpg.html)

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg312/Huvius/Mobile%20Uploads/D89CFEFC-4B40-46AF-9BB5-DA265A74C3C4.jpg (http://s251.photobucket.com/user/Huvius/media/Mobile%20Uploads/D89CFEFC-4B40-46AF-9BB5-DA265A74C3C4.jpg.html)

44magLeo
01-23-2019, 05:47 PM
I have ash tress in my yard that need trimming every no and then.
I cut the trimmings into about 16-18 inch lengths. Some of the larger pieces I toss in the bon fires I enjoy.
A few of the 2 inch or so pieces got debarked With one end smoothed for a handle.
I do have a wood lathe and have turned small base ball bats for friends. Nice to tuck into the car for many uses.
I did use one of those as a mold mallet but stopped, it got a bit roughed up so just trimmed up a bit of limb wood.
Have plenty more in the wood pile.
The piece of tubing as a pry bar is a good idea. I may try it. Have some one inch tubing from an old tent garage that the tarp wore out on.
Leo

44magLeo
01-23-2019, 06:01 PM
I just remembered something. In the tool kits for some of my motorcycles there is a piece of steel tubing about 5 inches long that is flattened on one end. The axle wrenches have a closed end large enough for the axle nuts, the other end is flat. This flat end fits into the tubing so you have handle enough to loosen and tighten the axle nuts.
I'll have to try that during my next casting session.
Leo

brass410
01-23-2019, 06:06 PM
purchased a carving mallet thru lee valley it was not inexpensive but then again neither was the mould a quality mould deserves a good mallet. I tried all the others rawhide mallet, plastic and wooden sticks, but all felt like I was clubbing a fish they're to light and bouncey. Tried this carvers mallet, whoa baby it strikes with authourity with the flick of the wrist, completely ergonomicly friendly to the hand and wrist it has some sort of polyurethane head that doesn't damage or ring with the strke and cause numbness in your hand in a few minutes, Yeah I know its not for everyone but I spent a lot of money to buy a Caddillac mold so why would I strike it with a junky hammer?

bobthenailer
01-25-2019, 11:21 AM
A+ for the small rawhide mallet , been using the same one for over 30 years and I made over 1/2 million bullets in the past 50 years.
if you time the cut off time you can push the sprue plate open with the mallet without leaving a sprue diviot or lead smearing. I use a stop watch to time when to cut the sprue and you can use a bullet lube on a rag to lightly run across the sprue plate and sometimes the top of the mould to help elimate lead smearing.

RoGrrr
02-02-2019, 11:13 PM
I tried numerous mallets and while the rawhide mallet works well, it takes TWO HANDS to use it.
I started with a pine 2x2. Too light. Then I tried a broken hammer handle made of ASH. It didn't take too long for it to get beaten all to crep. I removed the scarred portion and it got beaten up again. Then the rawhide hammer.
I was tired of doing all this so I made my own sprue cutter jig. I clamped it onto my table and simply turned the mould sideways and with a flip of my wrist, the sprue plate was operated. Spread the handles and the boolits dropped out.
Lots easier and quicker.
ONLY REQUIRES ONE HAND !
Don't red-*** me for that one pic, as I had to reclamp it for the picture.

Huvius has the right idea but it still REQUIRES TWO HANDS !

tazman
02-03-2019, 05:36 AM
I like your idea. Think I may steal it.

gbrown
02-06-2019, 12:24 PM
I've used various pieces of wood. Finally found a broken hammer handle--probably off a big ball peen, from its weight and shape. Wrapped it in a couple of pieces of old deer rawhide. Doesn't hurt the mold, rawhide is off the the deer's back, towards the tail, so it is thick. After 15 years, its still in good shape.

RED BEAR
02-06-2019, 02:41 PM
The best ting i have found is a hickory axe handle less than $10 from hardware store then just cut a piece off and ready to go if you want it a little or a lot heavier just drill hole in end and pour some of your lead in end. There you go custom lenght and weight.

Liberty1776
02-09-2019, 11:13 PM
I use a piece of sledgehammer handle with a PVC cap fitting softened with a heat gun and stretched over the end. Screw it to the wood.