PDA

View Full Version : There's Some New 12 Gauge Howdah Pistols in Town!

arcticap
01-05-2019, 04:08 PM
They're named the Bulldog, the Wrath and the compact Diablo 12 gauge double barrel pistols:--->>> https://americanguncraft.com/products/

The Diablo model used #209 primers.

megasupermagnum
01-05-2019, 04:34 PM
My god, that is the coolest thing I've seen this year. Even better would be to put a full stock on that.

DW475
01-05-2019, 05:20 PM
Wow, gotta get one for the collection!

rancher1913
01-05-2019, 05:35 PM
how are those not considered a sawed off shotgun. does calling it a pistol do a workaround the rules. way cool and I want one.

Smoke4320
01-05-2019, 05:39 PM
I believe Being black powder it does not fall in the ATF regs for regular guns
just like no FFL required or background check

NyFirefighter357
01-05-2019, 06:41 PM
They look pretty cool. Can't have them in NY without a pistol permit. Technical you can but you can't have a BP pistol & posses any of the components to shoot it.

waksupi
01-06-2019, 01:17 PM
Someone said no one would ever design an uglier gun than Hi Point. These guys stepped up, and said "Hold my beer."
Butt ugly, you couldn't run fast enough to give me one.

pls1911
01-06-2019, 01:21 PM
Noise, fire, and smoke-a-plenty, but why?
I think there are better ways to spend $500...

tim338
01-06-2019, 01:40 PM
Someone said no one would ever design an uglier gun than Hi Point. These guys stepped up, and said "Hold my beer."

X 1,000,000... I don't get it... no way I would buy one..

JSnover
01-06-2019, 06:56 PM
I don't feel the need for one but the Diablo is kind of cute. Like a bulldog, a face only a mother could love :)

arcticap
01-06-2019, 07:00 PM
The price of a 20 gauge Pedersoli Howda Hunter is $699 at Cabela's.
These guns are 12 gauge and can save a person a lot of money in part by not needing to pay for a lot of fancy wood, since their stocks are composite.
Perhaps the Pedersoli is worth a king's ransom, or perhaps not.
But if folks in the USA want to hunt for turkey with a black powder hand gun, then I think that they would rather use a 12 ga. than a 20 ga. any day.
Especially considering the difference in price @ $445 minus $25 off as promoted on the company website.
$420 is 60% of the cost of the Pedersoli.

01-06-2019, 07:35 PM
I bet they are fun

Steppenwolf
01-06-2019, 08:25 PM

Most of them I agree are butt ugly except this one:) https://americanguncraft.com/product/diablo-break-open-12-gauge-pistol-black-grips/

JSnover
01-06-2019, 08:46 PM
Almost looks like something this guy would carry: 233496

RU shooter
01-08-2019, 07:45 PM
Butt ugly or not and they are by the way I don't want to shoot a 12 ga anything in a handgun even if it is black powder . It's painful for me just thinking about it .

Nobade
01-08-2019, 08:00 PM
Those are stupid.

arcticap
01-09-2019, 01:47 AM
Those are stupid.

The original howdah pistols were made for protection from dangerous game, especially tigers.

A howdah is the name of the carriage that is placed on the back of an elephant to carry passengers
which were usually wealthy people in India where tigers were a threat to attack.

The pistol was a last ditch means of protection for when a tiger would approach and get ready to
leap up and attack. It was intended to be used at very close range to save the lives of the people
by incapacitating the tiger as quickly as possible.

That's why they call it a howdah pistol, because it has 2 barrels of powerful loads to protect
those who ride in a howdah from being attacked by the most dangerous of predators.

It's not much different than a buggy rifle, a blanket gun or a blunderbuss which serves the
same basic purpose of short range protection in a small, handy package.

megasupermagnum
01-09-2019, 03:21 AM
Sheesh. For all the useless junk people are into, on this site especially, I can't believe all the negativity on what appears to be a quality firearm made in the USA. And comparing the looks to a Hipoint? You might need to clean off the glasses.

I am confused why what appears to be a new company is sinking their teeth into a howda pistol. If they made a real SXS shotgun, I couldn't get my wallet out fast enough.

GregLaROCHE
01-09-2019, 03:40 AM
Real hand cannons. My wrist hurts just looking at them. Maybe made for younger guys than me.

I wonder how long until someone try’s smokeless in one?

Nobade
01-09-2019, 07:25 AM
Real howdah pistols from days gone by are fine. Purposeful and generally elegantly made and proportioned. These are not.

KCSO
01-09-2019, 10:55 AM
Not only ugly but the design of the grip will maximize recoil. You can polish a horse ball but it is still...

arcticap
01-09-2019, 11:10 AM
There's a current trend to make these types of guns.
Such as Pedersoli's attempt to clone the 1920's Ithaca 20 ga. "Auto & Burglar Gun" by chambering it for.45 LC with a rifled barrel,
and cutting the chambers long enough to also fit the .410 3" shot shell.

Except now Pedersoli is calling it a Howdah pistol instead of an "Auto & Burgler Gun", and the stock looks almost
the same as the new ACG 12 ga. Wrath percussion pistol.

See Ithaca Auto & Burglar Gun:--->>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ithaca_Auto_%26_Burglar

There's videos of the new Pedersoli center fire version below which shows the stock looks almost identical to the new
ACG 12 ga. Wrath percussion pistol:--->>> https://youtu.be/fig_45lzzNs

Pedersoli's short video of it [Click CC to activate English subtitles]:--->>> https://youtu.be/uKdU5OEcveU

Hickock45's review:--->>> https://youtu.be/CCQC-k1hepg

flint45
01-09-2019, 04:02 PM
They look like a jr. high school boy deigned them.As my ole dad would say those look like the back end of a chicken!!!

JSnover
01-09-2019, 07:34 PM
I actually find the 'New Howdahs' less disturbing than this (Fightlite Pistol, 5.56, .300BLK): 233619

RED BEAR
01-09-2019, 08:33 PM
i doubt that the recoil is bad at all with 40gr of powder and 1/2 oz of shot i can't imagine they kick much at all. its not my cup of tea but it ain't that hard on the eyes. now if it shot modern shells i would take another look.

arcticap
01-09-2019, 10:57 PM
The right angle type of pistol grips are an antique design that are often called a "saw handle" grip shape.

RogerDat
01-09-2019, 11:17 PM
Most of them I agree are butt ugly except this one:) https://americanguncraft.com/product/diablo-break-open-12-gauge-pistol-black-grips/ You know it does sort of grow on you. They are all missing something the 20 gauge reproduction howda pistols have. A ramrod! I would like them a lot more if the grip & stock were actually wood. They are for all intents and purposes without a real purpose. Other than entertainment. Hunting with a shotgun why would one want a pistol when a BP sxs long gun would be more effective. Nope these are like derringers only bigger and a touch uglier fun to break out for a few hoots and hollers once in a while. At close range they would be devastating but so would a compact 45 acp.

I'm guessing there is a reason the video splash screen shows one barrel toward you. I'm sure looking at it that way would be somewhat effective at giving pause to an adversary. Problem is by the time the barrel is looking like that the trigger is already being pulled. At that range firearm is only pointed for one purpose and "discouraging" isn't it.

Geezer in NH
01-19-2019, 12:20 AM
Ithaca Auto-burglars were never a ML.

Howda guns have ML in the early years.

I agree however these new ones are butt ugly, the shapes, lock plates etc. = puke. They need work on the aesthetics before I would even think of one.

Pedersoli look more authentic to me and much prettier.

crankycalico
01-27-2019, 01:56 AM
I actually find the 'New Howdahs' less disturbing than this (Fightlite Pistol, 5.56, .300BLK): 233619

turn that into a .45acp or .38 super and you REALLY have something. Turn it into a .30 carbine and you will need a new factory to keep up with demand.

arcticap
01-27-2019, 11:28 AM
Some guys on thefiringline have ordered the Diable break-action model that uses 209 primers.
They were told that it will take about 4 weeks for the guns to be built.
And the company offered them the option of ordering either a blue or plated model.
They look better in these photos that the computer rendering of it.
It's almost like the guns are being custom made for them.

Click on photo to enlarge:

JSnover
01-27-2019, 01:36 PM
turn that into a .45acp or .38 super and you REALLY have something. Turn it into a .30 carbine and you will need a new factory to keep up with demand.

I'm sure someone would buy them in almost any caliber. Looks like it would have to be rested on something to be of any use beyond 25 yards, too nose heavy to be used as a pistol.

a.squibload
03-05-2019, 08:10 PM
Because a stick is a poor choice...

Froogal
03-06-2019, 10:35 AM
Do I need one? No. Do I want one? YES!!! On a scale of 1 through 10, the coolness factor is right at 15.

03-06-2019, 11:02 AM
It's clear there are two camps about these things. Really like and really don't like. I'm just glad there still seems to be an option for the market to be creative and try new (old stuff re-invented, maybe) products. If you like - great. If you don't. -- count yourself lucky that you aren't required to buy one. Seems my old history books used to call that freedom.

Nobade
03-06-2019, 11:16 AM
It's clear there are two camps about these things. Really like and really don't like. I'm just glad there still seems to be an option for the market to be creative and try new (old stuff re-invented, maybe) products. If you like - great. If you don't. -- count yourself lucky that you aren't required to buy one. Seems my old history books used to call that freedom.Yep. This is why capitalism is the best.

Texas by God
03-06-2019, 02:28 PM
Because a stick is a poor choice...

237437So you think YOUR job is stressful?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Beeks
03-07-2019, 10:01 PM
Yikes... that tiger is no joke!

Skipper
03-10-2019, 12:27 AM
They're named the Bulldog, the Wrath and the compact Diablo 12 gauge double barrel pistols:--->>> https://americanguncraft.com/products/

The Diablo model used #209 primers.

Hope you have better luck than I did. Here's my post from another forum:

"Guys, I have to relate my experience with this outfit.
On Jan 5, I placed an order for one of their "Bulldog" models and my credit card was billed.
A couple of weeks later, I sent an email inquiring about my order and shipping date. They told me a couple of weeks and then later "Mid to late February".
On March 5, I contacted them and they said that they were so busy making one of their other models that it would be delayed.
I canceled the order. 3 days later my credit card was credited.
One thing that happened about 2weeks into the transaction...I received a phone call from their credit card handling company. Thay asked if I had received any product and/or did I receive a shipping date. They were trying to find out if these guys were on the level.
I would not order one of these unless I verified that someone I knew or trusted had actually received one.
They may be an OK company and just swamped with orders, but they're NOT for me."

Skipper
03-21-2019, 08:18 AM
From another forum:

"OKAY HERES THE REAL GOODS. TIM GOW AND AMERICAN GUNCRAFT ARE FABRICATED USING YOUR "PURCHASE" AS THEIR INVESTMENT CAPITAL. NONE OF IT WAS REAL, now SOME of it is. BUT HE DID IT OFF OUR BACKS AND ADVERTISING USING PHOTOS< THAT HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THEM.

Business Description
AGC Companies is located in Saint Paul, Minnesota. This organization primarily operates in the Business Services, nec business / industry within the Business Services sector. This organization has been operating for approximately a year. AGC Companies is estimated to generate $27,976 in annual revenues, and employs approximately 1 people at this single location."

edp2k
03-21-2019, 11:15 AM
I'll bet that the "business model" is to first collect money from suckers, er, "customers", and then
have their cousin in pak/india/philippines bang one out with a hammer and file on a section of RR track.
Delivery time, 4 months+ and you got the "one of a kind"/prototype.

LAGS
03-21-2019, 12:14 PM
Those are some nice lookin Toys.
But I think I will just hold off and build myself a Blunderbuss.
But haven't decided if I want a long barrel one like the Pilgrims had , or a short Pirate's Boarding Gun.
Traditions sells a Kit to build one, But that is not what I am looking for.

R.FO
03-21-2019, 12:39 PM
Those are some nice lookin Toys.
But I think I will just hold off and build myself a Blunderbuss.
But haven't decided if I want a long barrel one like the Pilgrims had , or a short Pirate's Boarding Gun.
Traditions sells a Kit to build one, But that is not what I am looking for.

Yes very cool looking! (https://americanguncraft.com/product/diablo-12-gauge-pistol-nickel-with-black-or-rosewood-finish-grips-available-soon-place-your-backorder-now/)