PDA

View Full Version : Lost Words From Our Childhood!

buckwheatpaul
01-01-2019, 05:06 PM
A friend sent this to me and it made me smile and hope your trip down memory lane will be a good one as well!

Lost Words from our childhood:

Mergatroyd! Do you remember that word? Would you believe the spell-checker did not recognize the word Mergatroyd? Heavens to Mergatroyd!

The other day a not so elderly (I say 75) lady said something to her son about driving a Jalopy; and he looked at her quizzically and said "What the heck is a Jalopy?" He never heard of the word jalopy!! She knew she was old....but not that old.

Well, I hope you are Hunky Dory after you read this and chuckle.

About a month ago, I illuminated some old expressions that have become obsolete because of the inexorable march of technology.
These phrases included: Don't touch that dial, carbon copy, you sound like a broken record, and hung out to dry.

Back in the olden days we had a lot of moxie. We'd put on our best bib and tucker, to straighten up and fly right.

Heavens to Betsy! Gee whillikers! Jumping Jehoshaphat! Holy moley!

We were in like Flynn and living the life of Riley; and even a regular guy couldn't accuse us of being a knucklehead, a nincompoop or a pill. Not for all the tea in China!

Back in the olden days, life used to be swell, but when's the last time anything was swell? Swell has gone the way of beehives, pageboys and the D.A.; of spats, knickers, fedoras, poodle skirts, saddle shoes, and pedal pushers.

Oh, my aching back! Kilroy was here, but he isn't anymore.

We wake up from what surely has been just a short nap, and before we can say, "Well, I'll be a monkey's uncle!" Or, "This is a fine kettle of fish!" We discover that the words we grew up with, the words that seemed omnipresent, as oxygen, have vanished with scarcely a notice from our tongues and our pens and our keyboards.

Poof, go the words of our youth, the words we've left behind. We blink, and they're gone. Where have all those great phrases gone?

Long gone: Pshaw, The milkman did it. Hey! It's your nickel. Don't forget to pull the chain. Knee high to a grasshopper. Well, Fiddlesticks! Going like sixty. I'll see you in the funny papers. Don't take any wooden nickels. Wake up and smell the roses.

It turns out there are more of these lost words and expressions than Carter has liver pills. This can be disturbing stuff! (Carter's Little Liver Pills are gone too!)

We of a certain age have been blessed to live in changeable times. For a child each new word is like a shiny toy, a toy that has no age. We at the other end of the chronological arc have the advantage of remembering there are words that once did not exist and there were words that once strutted their hour upon the earthly stage and now are heard no more, except in our collective memory. It's one of the greatest advantages of aging.

Leaves us to wonder where Superman will find a phone booth...

See ya later, alligator! Oki-doki

WE ARE THE CHILDREN OF THE FABULOUS 50'S & 60's. NO ONE WILL EVER HAVE THAT OPPORTUNITY AGAIN. WE WERE GIVEN ONE OF OUR MOST PRECIOUS GIFTS: LIVING IN THE PEACEFUL AND COMFORTABLE TIMES, CREATED FOR US BY THE "GREATEST GENERATION!"

Okay! Whoopensocker??? Enlighten me!! It is one I do not remember hearing before this email!

JBinMN
01-01-2019, 05:24 PM
LOL had to google , "whoopensocker"...

That's why the Wisconsinites invented whoopensocker, which can refer to anything extraordinary of its kind—from a sweet dance move to a knee-melting kiss. 2. snirt (n.), Upper Midwest. A gem of a portmanteau, this word means exactly what it sounds like: a mixture of windblown snow and dirt. Apr 8, 2012

Source:http://mentalfloss.com/article/30395/19-regional-words-all-americans-should-adopt-immediately

A term I used a few weeks ago when in a local tavern & I was talking to the owner & making fun of his beer price increase when I said to him, " I don't know how you keep the doors of this Gyp-joint(Sp?) open, the way you raise the prices of a beer so often...". He was Not amused, but he understood the term, anyway. ( He is about late 60's in age)

That "Gyp-joint" term is one that came to my mind, when reading the OP, that I do not hear often said anymore. I 'd bet I would have more terms & sayings like those in the OP, if I think about it for a bit.

Thanks for sharing your "find"!
:)

Made me smile a bit, but also a bit sad because they are fading fast from lack of use...

popper
01-01-2019, 05:34 PM
It seems that Murgatroyd has a long history as a family name in the English aristocracy
Heavens to Betsy - Gramma used that as an exclamation, couldn't use swear words. Seems like many are like that.
The others are silly 'coined' popular sayings with no real meaning or use. Yes wooden nickle were real, as was biting a coin to make sure it was 'genuine'. Coins were often cut, thus the quarter and half.
Jalopy could be from the old 'rag' tops - autos tops were mostly made of cloth in the old days, joulosie - french blinds that keep out sun but not rain.
IMHO, you got most of the ones I remember.

Boaz
01-01-2019, 05:40 PM
When I order anything at a speaker drive through burger 'joint' I usually end up having to go on and drive up to the window to order . I still speak archaic Texan .

robg
01-01-2019, 06:02 PM
Gone west, when things are lost.

RU shooter
01-01-2019, 06:06 PM
I remember most of those sayings or at least hearing them said by one of my elders some are before my time I admit . And the last real working stand alone phone booth I've see was way up in Quebec Canada two years ago on a fishing trip. And it still actually used coins !

JBinMN
01-01-2019, 06:23 PM
I remember most of those sayings or at least hearing them said by one of my elders some are before my time I admit . And the last real working stand alone phone booth I've see was way up in Quebec Canada two years ago on a fishing trip. And it still actually used coins !

A bit off topic, but since ya mentioned it, there was a booth phone at the rest stop off the interstate near Morgantown, W.Va. last Summer when I was passing thru there. I had not seen one in some time & it was quite something for my 2 sons who were with me, as at 35 & 32, neither one had seen one since they were young lads at around 12 years old or less.

And for back to the OP topic again, right now it is warmer at 10 deg. F. but earlier when the wind was blowing, folks used to say it was, "colder than a well diggers butt", or a "colder than a witches tit.".

"Finer than a frogs hair" is another I use, but not many do or understand depending on age.

"Tighter than Dicks hatband", was one I heard used when growing up. The reference is not necessarily talking about something used on top of ones "sconce".
;)

I realize that these all are a bit risque, in some folks minds, but, "Sucking hind tit", and "Worthless as tits on a boar" are some more common saying I heard long ago , but are not so common now.
( Not so common , not due to society etiquette , but due to folks just not familiar with such sayings & terms like long ago.)

I should stop now, as I may be pushing the tolerance of some here with what was perfectly understood and acceptable to say & be heard by even youngsters for many folks in times past , but are not so much so now a days.

Lastly, some folks now a days are "dumber than a pine knot", or " a box of rocks", & would not understand these terms anyhow...
LOL
;)

Having fun here , but don't want to get in trouble...

Like in the OP, "See ya later, alligator!" ( and our response was always, "After a while , Crocodile!".
;)

JWFilips
01-01-2019, 06:28 PM
I still use a lot of those! Draw strange looks from many! Aahh! their loss.
One of the biggest in my area was
"Ja eat yet...no jew?"
When friends came calling near supper time!

WRideout
01-01-2019, 06:32 PM
At work, a few years ago, I used the term "gilding the lily," to my boss to describe an unnecessary effort that would not produce any better results. He had no idea what I was talking about.

Wayne

redhawk0
01-01-2019, 06:39 PM
Dad gum it and for Pete's sake....has anyone heard of gutchies? It was a PA dutch term for underwear....tighty whities if you will.

redhawk

oneofsix
01-01-2019, 06:44 PM
...has anyone heard of gutchies? It was a PA dutch term for underwear....tighty whities if you will.

redhawk

Many times heard that from my Dad, as in "ya got clean under-gutchies on?" to "wow, that'll make you change your under-gutchies "

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120AZ using Tapatalk

JBinMN
01-01-2019, 06:50 PM
At work, a few years ago, I used the term "gilding the lily," to my boss to describe an unnecessary effort that would not produce any better results. He had no idea what I was talking about.

Wayne

I have heard it used. Not for a time now though.
;)
Around here, it is/was, "Putting lipstick on a pig", and meaning the same thing.

shortlegs
01-01-2019, 07:18 PM
"He is as lazy as a bump on a pickle".

DCP
01-01-2019, 07:23 PM
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

They are in La La land

Taylor
01-01-2019, 07:38 PM
And my hair is gray, what's left of it. Pooh. Yep I'm old, those saying's didn't help any, but thanks a bunch for sharing.

MT Gianni
01-01-2019, 07:44 PM
Dumber than a post, uglier than a mud fence in a rainstorm, steeper than a cows face. Bakelite, overshoes, galoshes, "get them hands outaa yer pockets, ya playing pocket pool in there?" are all no longer in common use.
Out of favor names? Prudence, Norman, Gaye, or Gayla, Gaylord, Horace, Maurice or Morris, are all English names not often heard.

DocSavage
01-01-2019, 08:57 PM
A little dab will do ya or greasy kid's stuff. Useful as a rubber crutch.

mozeppa
01-01-2019, 09:02 PM
well dag nabbit! ...i'l be hornswoggled!

Sweetpea
01-01-2019, 09:07 PM
I still use a lot of those! Draw strange looks from many! Aahh! their loss.
One of the biggest in my area was
"Ja eat yet...no jew?"
When friends came calling near supper time!

In these parts, the old timers would follow that up with "squeet".

labradigger1
01-01-2019, 09:17 PM
A bit off topic, but since ya mentioned it, there was a booth phone at the rest stop off the interstate near Morgantown, W.Va. last Summer when I was passing thru there. I had not seen one in some time & it was quite something for my 2 sons who were with me, as at 35 & 32, neither one had seen one since they were young lads at around 12 years old or less.

And for back to the OP topic again, right now it is warmer at 10 deg. F. but earlier when the wind was blowing, folks used to say it was, "colder than a well diggers butt", or a "colder than a witches tit.".

"Finer than a frogs hair" is another I use, but not many do or understand depending on age.

"Tighter than Dicks hatband", was one I heard used when growing up. The reference is not necessarily talking about something used on top of ones "sconce".
;)

I realize that these all are a bit risque, in some folks minds, but, "Sucking hind tit", and "Worthless as tits on a boar" are some more common saying I heard long ago , but are not so common now.
( Not so common , not due to society etiquette , but due to folks just not familiar with such sayings & terms like long ago.)

I should stop now, as I may be pushing the tolerance of some here with what was perfectly understood and acceptable to say & be heard by even youngsters for many folks in times past , but are not so much so now a days.

Lastly, some folks now a days are "dumber than a pine knot", or " a box of rocks", & would not understand these terms anyhow...
LOL
;)

Having fun here , but don't want to get in trouble...

Like in the OP, "See ya later, alligator!" ( and our response was always, "After a while , Crocodile

;)

"colder than a witches tit.", I believe that may be “faster than a witches tit” per sodbusters

Hickory
01-01-2019, 09:26 PM
Shame on you.
Is a lost saying.
You know how I know this, no one under 30 years old knows what shame is anymore.

Don Purcell
01-01-2019, 09:32 PM
Slicker than a school marm's leg.

JBinMN
01-01-2019, 09:33 PM
"colder than a witches tit.", I believe that may be “faster than a witches tit” per sodbusters

Could be... Not familiar with that way of saying it. I have heard it said "Colder than a witches tit in a brass bra" though. Mostly around where I was the "bra" part was left out. I reckon it had to do with witches supposed to be cold hearted, or the like. Don't know any witches, so I can't ask any. I do know some women who might be witches or maybe change that "w" to a "b" though... LOL ;)

I have also heard, "Colder than the balls on a brass monkey." , in reference to how they stacked cannonballs in that pyramid type shape, and the jig that held the cannonballs on the bottom layer was called a "monkey". When it got cold I was told the brass would contract & the balls would sometimes make the pyramid fall apart, thus the saying. I am not sure if that is true or not, but that was what I was told...

BTW... I am really trying hard not to come up with these, what some would call, "risque", sayings. I am just going on a bit about what some of them used to be.... And replying to labradigger1 s post.

Got some more to add, non risque ones...

"Slower than molasses.", "Uglier than sin", "Hotter than a 2 dollar pistol", "That's a Jim dandy".

See... There's a few that are a bit more "tame". I am not all bad, am I?
LOL
;)

Gonna stop now & let others chime in...

MyFlatline
01-01-2019, 09:34 PM
"wait til yer Father gets home" yep, that one is forever embedded in my mind...

mozeppa
01-01-2019, 10:02 PM
it was ..."colder than a well diggers HEEL."

as his heel was in the coldest lowest part of the well.

leebuilder
01-01-2019, 10:05 PM
Wheres the beef?
As crazy as a barrel full of monkeys
To ugly for radio
Oh my piles

JBinMN
01-01-2019, 10:16 PM
it was ..."colder than a well diggers HEEL."

as his heel was in the coldest lowest part of the well.

LOL Suit yourself. Regional difference?

Anyway, it was his "rear end" the way I have always heard it, and the word used started with an "a" too. I tried to keep it fairly "clean" using "butt".
;)

coloraydo
01-02-2019, 12:15 AM
"Slower than molasses.", "Uglier than sin", "Hotter than a 2 dollar pistol", "That's a Jim dandy".

I always heard it as "Slower than molasses in January".

45workhorse
01-02-2019, 12:37 AM
Mel Hagard
Joint used to be a bad place to be.
Just listen to the song.
Kinda stretching things a bit, don't mean to get off your topic.

I still use," slower than molasses in January," and I am ONLY 55!

Loudenboomer
01-02-2019, 01:06 AM
Gay used to be happy. Remember the jingle from the "Flintstones" We'll have a Gay O'l Time.

Loudenboomer
01-02-2019, 01:09 AM
Fell out of an Ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down!

So broke I didn't have a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of.

I sure am glad Groovy went out of style.

When my High School shop teacher had to use the rest room he'd say. I gotta go shake the dew off my Lilly. :)

Tom W.
01-02-2019, 02:20 AM
What about a bumbershoot ? Babushka? Balderdash? Mom told us about gotchies, which was her version of underwear. And gwumpkies, which is stuffed cabbage.
My grandparents all came here from Poland in the early part of the century, one of them escaping from the Russian army where they just took him, but when he got the chance he left. They had some colorful words that I never was told the proper translation to, but was warned about not repeating them under penalty of severe parental repercussions.

wildwilly
01-02-2019, 02:52 AM
Neato torpedo.
Your mama wears army boots.
Far out!
Cut from the same piece of leather.

lead-1
01-02-2019, 03:25 AM
Back in the late 80's I worked with a guy who would everytime someone drove by and honked their horn he would yell "see you Sunday".
I had to finally asked him what was up with that and he told me when he was younger if someone drove down the road and honked, everyone on the porch or yard would wave and yell "see you Sunday".

JBinMN
01-02-2019, 05:47 AM

I always heard it as "Slower than molasses in January".

I have heard it said that way too.

square butte
01-02-2019, 08:11 AM
Don't make me stop this car . . .

mozeppa
01-02-2019, 09:19 AM
slap happy
shell shocked
getting hit in the head with a base ball .....aka "beaned"
slipier than snot on a door knob
katty wompus

this thead has more stuffing than a christmas turkey.

Thin Man
01-02-2019, 09:25 AM
From my grandmother: "Well, don't that beat a hog a-barkin'!" I only heard her repeat that line two times and never heard it from anyone else. Maybe she coined it, maybe not. Doesn't matter either way, it always made me stop whenever she said it.

oneofsix
01-02-2019, 09:36 AM
Maybe a regional thing, but "Uglier than sin" was more than likely to be "Uglier than homemade sin"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120AZ using Tapatalk

Hossfly
01-02-2019, 10:27 AM
That thing is wom p jawed, or gil-flirted, when something won’t fit right, threading pipes.

bbs70
01-02-2019, 10:57 AM

There is a working phone booth in front of the Steelville,mo court house

bbs70
01-02-2019, 11:00 AM
Hit with an ugly stick or with the whole tree
Using Shank's mares
Dumber than owl $%^&
I.Q. of a rake

popper
01-02-2019, 11:08 AM
Shucks, that's the pot calling the kettle black.

MrWolf
01-02-2019, 11:15 AM
^^ that was one of my Mom's favorites.

Drop a dime or your 3 minutes

bbs70
01-02-2019, 11:57 AM
Catching some Z's
Far out

pete501
01-02-2019, 12:43 PM
Jalopy: The lack of language skills of Italian Immigrants lead to the bastardization of the term Jelly Apple. Italian street vendors sold cheap treats on the streets, Calling out Jelly Apple. The term was associated with something inexpensive.

"Joshin' you" came from a deaf mute named Josh in the late 1800's who noticed the US 5 cent piece was similar size and design of the $5 gold piece. He had the nickels gold plated to resemble a $5 gold piece. Paying for a 5 cent item and receiving $4.95 was his game.

A Cheap Chiseler would chisel bits of gold from coins. The mint thwarted this activity by incorporating the reeded edge on the coins edge to show evidence of chiseling.

blackthorn
01-02-2019, 12:58 PM
Quote "Like in the OP, "See ya later, alligator!" ( and our response was always, "After a while , Crocodile!"."

From a hit tune of the day.

gpidaho
01-02-2019, 01:16 PM
When something could not be proved, Grandma used to say "Why, that's no sign of a ducks nest" I haven't thought of that in a lot of years. Gp

square butte
01-02-2019, 01:22 PM
Don't take any wooden nickles - That aint worth a plugged nickle

Smoke4320
01-02-2019, 01:26 PM
Fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down
face on fire and someone put it out with an ice pick
gollyswaggled

DocSavage
01-02-2019, 05:55 PM
Long walk off a short pier,make like a tree and leave,lower than a snake's belly
Cat got your tongue If your friends jumped off a bridge would you follow. If you break your leg don't come crying to me.

5Shot
01-02-2019, 06:26 PM
Please and Thank You...

buckwheatpaul
01-02-2019, 07:09 PM
If you want something to cry about....I'll give you something to cry about!

You're cruising for a bruising!

Olie, Olie, Octen Free

mozeppa
01-02-2019, 07:23 PM
NOW were in a pickle!

redhawk0
01-02-2019, 07:38 PM
When dipping into a soup pot - "Dig deep, the best puppy is on the bottom"

Oh for crying out loud

What in Sam Hill?

Dumb as a bag of hammers

What rock did you crawl out from under.

Loudenboomer
01-02-2019, 07:46 PM
LOL! Paul it's been along time since I herd if you want something to cry about … I'll give you somthin to cry about!

It's all fun and games until someone gets an eye poked out!

My dad used to say cold enough to freeze the balls on a brass monkey. Later I found out this one is nautical terminology. I was told on wooden war ships of years past iron cannon balls were stored on rack called a monkey it was made of brass because they would rust onto steel. Any way as the story goes brass had a faster shrinkage rate than the Iron cannon balls so when it got real cold it would freeze the balls on the Brass Monkey!

shooter93
01-02-2019, 08:11 PM
My father's when he would hire someone who wasn't really interested in learning the trade or working hard.......he's like the handle on a piss pot......he's there but not in it.

Loudenboomer
01-02-2019, 11:49 PM
Here's a child hood phrase. Any body remember "Anti I Over"

John D
01-03-2019, 01:25 AM
My grandpa used to say, when a person was dishonest, "He/She's as crooked as a dogs back leg"..

Mr_Sheesh
01-03-2019, 02:09 AM
Mimeograph, you don't hear THAT word often lately.

Dumb as a box of rocks

"Heavy" keeps changing its' meaning from "a bad guy" as in criminal sort, to a fairly positive meaning lately.

Four on the Floor, or Three on the Tree, for manual shifters (fewer of those around lately); Double Clutching

"Nice Gams" is sorta an archaic term for nice legs, usually on a nice looking woman.

Snake Oil

HATCH
01-03-2019, 03:54 AM
Please don’t use symbols in place of letters.

Like pi$$
Just type the word.
Piss
If the system has the word in the banned list it will turn it into *’s
I have had to edit several posts in this thread because of this.
Please stop doing it as it is considered a Lang censor bypass and against the rules.

Taylor
01-03-2019, 08:21 AM
My brother has a saying.."she's so ugly, she could snag lightning".

Mr_Sheesh
01-03-2019, 08:57 AM
-Eyes HATCH's post-

-Successfully avoids issuing HATCH an infraction, as he knows where I live and would BEAT me for being a smart patootie!- LOL

I'll definitely +1 his post! I think filter bypass are THE most frequent warning / infraction lately, and are pretty easily avoidable.

Wayne Smith
01-03-2019, 08:58 AM
My Dad used to say "That water is so deep you could stand up and drink all day".

Bent Ramrod
01-03-2019, 09:53 AM
“Oh, wow! Beautiful!” used to be all over the place. Don’t hear it much any more.

The phrase I remember most from childhood is “Because I said so!”

MrWolf
01-03-2019, 10:00 AM
Young whipper snapper. Called my daughter that last night joking around.

curdog
01-03-2019, 12:41 PM
On the gravy train with bisket wheels. That boy is tougher than woodpecker lips.

gwpercle
01-03-2019, 02:20 PM
That boy was so ugly they had to tie a pork chop around his neck to get the dog to play with him.

Don't buy a pig in a poke.

We eating high off the hog now.

Things were good when you were in high cotton .

If you watch the pennies the dollars will take care of themselves . ( my Mom said this one a lot!)

Waste not, want not . another of Mom's sayings.

Gary

WheelgunConvert
01-03-2019, 05:36 PM
Grandmother: go fetch me a switch
Mother: go fetch me a switch
Dad: go fetch me a switch knucklehead

You don’t hear anything like that anymore either :violin:

popper
01-03-2019, 05:38 PM
Let's have a poll on whether Buckwheat should write an 'old timer's' dictionary with definitions so our kids can understand us.

redhawk0
01-03-2019, 06:01 PM
Ugly women applying makeup

If the barn needs paintin....you paint the barn.

Smoke4320
01-03-2019, 06:16 PM
teletype
carbon paper

JBinMN
01-03-2019, 08:36 PM
If ya don't like my gate, don't be swingin' on the hinges..."

"Never step over a dollar, to pick up a dime.".

"Don't **** in your watering hole, or you won't be able to drink there anymore & neither will anyone else...".

"Two wrongs don't make a it right."

"If you're feelin' froggie,, Jump to it!"

" Old age & treachery, will overcome youth & skill."

mozeppa
01-03-2019, 08:44 PM
how bout this'n....

2 wrongs don't make a right....but 3 lefts does!

Silvercreek Farmer
01-03-2019, 08:48 PM
Slicker than cat ****.
Tango Uniform (Tits up)
Screwed the pooch.
Looks like a pig sty.

My list probably tells you something about the way I was raised!

Loudenboomer
01-03-2019, 10:31 PM
If you monkey with the bull your gonna get the Horn!

Les Staley
01-03-2019, 11:33 PM
Colder than a mother-in-law's heart. Not heard too often, but most people can relate to it.

Wild Bill 7
01-03-2019, 11:40 PM
Rarer than hens teeth, slicker than snot, he's got cooties, ham it up (acting silly).

coloraydo
01-03-2019, 11:59 PM
She/He's ugly enough to make a freight train take a dirt road.

DoubleAdobe
01-04-2019, 12:30 AM
Gyp joint, Ha, that has to be related to a term my Dad used so many years ago.He worked at the time in the logwoods of Arizona. You might be skeptical of that but it was certainly real. The HQ was in McNary and where he worked out of was Maverick. I have been there when my Dad was still kicking and it was a heck of a place. Faded, yes. but at an elevation, especially through the spring and winter, it was a pisscutter. 7800+ feet and colder than a woman's heart.
He told me over and over again that there were independent chickenshot outfits that would try to undercut the cutting and hauling of timber. These he called Gyppo outfits. There reputation was cut-rate and unreliable, BUT they were cheap, Haha.

woodbutcher
01-04-2019, 01:26 AM
;-):lol: Well lets see.
Good golly Miss Molly.
Gee whiz shazam.
Colder than a tax collectors heart.
Crooked as a snake with the cramps.
Watch yer six.
None of your beeswax.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

Mr_Sheesh
01-04-2019, 01:43 AM
Answering machines

Thin Man
01-04-2019, 07:40 AM
TILT! This one from my pinball machine days. I only remembered it because I used it just the other day when a co-worker did something genuinely stoopid. After I said this he asked me what it meant and I explained it to him. Today's youth don't even know what they missed by being born too late.

dave roelle
01-04-2019, 08:12 AM
"Cut a chogy" leave in a hurry

mozeppa
01-04-2019, 11:09 AM
I believe the term "gyp joint" was shortened from "gypsy joint" .
i remember as a kid the row of gypsy businesses )mostly mentalists , palm readers fortune tellers and the like,,,
who would try to carnival bark you into the store front then "GYP" you out of your money....or just plain rob you.

buckwheatpaul
01-04-2019, 01:33 PM
Finer then frog hair!

JBinMN
01-04-2019, 01:47 PM
This topic has, "Grown some legs!" and taken right off!
;)

Hickok
01-04-2019, 03:38 PM
"Hey toots!"

When they bury him, the tombstone will say, "Here lies work, we could never get it out of him!"

Give me a toke!

A poke= paper bag

Remember back in the day when you would ask a girl, "Would you go out with me?"

"Bang a gear" on your 4 speed Hurst shifter.

Winger Ed.
01-04-2019, 05:54 PM
Uglier than a mud fence.
Dancing around like a cat on a hot tin roof.
On a road trip, "Don't make me stop this car".
Shines like a diamond on a goat's ***.
Sticks out like a sore thumb.
Meaner than a sack full of snakes.
Fighting like cats in a pillow case.
My head hurts like a woodpecker on a steel post.
Tougher than Chinese Algebra.
"Mom, he's looking at me"!
"You just wait until your father gets home".
Is the Pope Polish?
Drives with a Lead foot.
Rougher than a corn cob.
Madder than a wet hen.
Don't be square.
Last one ……… is a rotten egg.
Giving each other a 'cootie' shot.
'Come and get it, or I'll throw it to the hogs'.
'Back when I was just a little whipper snapper'.
"If I had a Nickel for every time you asked me that...……….."
"That, and a dime will buy you a cup of coffee".
"See yawl later, I'm going to be like cow flop, and hit the trail".
Follow a horse a little ways, and you'll see 'road apples'.
Out on the Hi-way, you could sometimes peel up and throw a 'sail rabbit'.
'He's too lazy to scratch a tick'.
She dropped him like a hot rock.

MyFlatline
01-04-2019, 06:06 PM
Cruisin for a bruisin

Knucklehead

Gonna be dumb, ya better be tough. And I think mentioned before..Stop that crying or I'll give you something to cry about..

Smoke4320
01-04-2019, 06:44 PM
Dumb as a box of rocks

Winger Ed.
01-04-2019, 06:46 PM
"Bang a gear" on your 4 speed Hurst shifter.
"If you can't find it, grind it".

Pb Burner
01-04-2019, 07:00 PM
Finer then frog hair!

That one reminded me of an older guy I used to work with, an old "country boy". That was on he'd say occasionally.

Also, sometimes if he was asked a "what if.." question that wasn't such a good idea his reply would be "yeah, and if a frog had wings he wouldn't bump his butt on the ground all the time".

Winger Ed.
01-04-2019, 07:03 PM
"yeah, and if a frog had wings he wouldn't bump his butt on the ground all the time".
And...…….."If grasshoppers had machine guns, the birds wouldn't bother them so much.

WheelgunConvert
01-04-2019, 10:11 PM
Climbing fools mountain
She’s off chasing butterflies
Watching the submarine races
Snipe hunt
Boy, go fetch me a skyhook
Bat s crazy

woodbutcher
01-04-2019, 10:20 PM
:lol: Just remembered one that my Dad used when someone was aggrevating him.
Well,zipidee do da to you too.
Finer than snuff,and not half as dusty.
Good God miss Agnes,what was that?(My Mom)
Leo

varmintpopper
01-05-2019, 02:02 AM
Geetus (money)

edler7
01-05-2019, 02:22 PM
Hoopey (or Hoopty) for an old car.

Smoke4320
01-05-2019, 02:41 PM
green backs
referring to an old cow : Shes so old she gives powder milk

Hossfly
01-05-2019, 02:48 PM
You can’t make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear.

woody1
01-05-2019, 03:21 PM
That'll happen when pigs fly!

woody1
01-05-2019, 03:23 PM
"If you can't find it, grind it".

Grind me a pound.

Smoke4320
01-05-2019, 03:23 PM
that mans got deep pockets and low morals

Smoke4320
01-05-2019, 03:24 PM
you can that a redneck out of the country but you cant take the country out of a redneck

buckwheatpaul
01-05-2019, 04:07 PM
jumpin' jeehosafat

buckwheatpaul
01-05-2019, 04:09 PM
Mrs. buckwheatpaul used to say: "rid up" .... she is from PA.

Winger Ed.
01-05-2019, 07:55 PM
Overhaul kits for Holly (& other) 4BBL carburetors. .Mallory dual points distributor.
Setting your points with 'feeler' gauges and using a timing light. National top speed limit 55mph. 'Cheater' slicks.
'3 duces' / '6 pack' carbs, or a pair of Holly 650 'double pumpers' with tunnel ram on a 429 Cobra Jet.
'White gas' for 15 cents a gallon-- in your own can. 105 octane Leaded 'premium' gas for 33 cents a gallon.
A '2-55 air conditioner'---- going 55mph with both windows rolled down.
Steering wheels and shifters that didn't lock. No seat belts. Bias ply tires. '8 track' tape player.
'Mom's car' usually had a 400 + horse power big block V8 and weighed almost 5,000 pounds. Turbo 350 and 400 Transmissions with no overdrive.
Big luxury cars were available with a 'trailer towing package' and "posi-track" rear ends.

A '64 Stingray still smelled 'new'.

Shop tools with no plastic in them. 'Long distance' phone calls went through various 'big city' operators.
Since your phone number might be: 'FLeetwood' or 'CApital' 1-2345--- you used those letters on your rotary dial phone.
There were no Postal 'ZIP' codes, and all mail was sorted by hand.
Steel toys from Tonka and Erector sets. Kid chemistry sets that you could make gunpowder with.

Eating at the local 'greasy spoon'. Burger King Whoppers on a Kaiser roll so big it was hard to finish one.
Sneaking people into the drive in theatre by hiding in the trunk.
Having a 'DA', 'crew', 'Beatle', or 'buzz' haircut.
Without a Poloroid camera, you took your film to the drug store to be turned into pictures.... or slides.

Being 10-12 years old and buying ammunition and BBs (100 pack for 5 cents) at 7-11. '7-11' meant 7AM to 11PM.

When you wanted something, Dad always asked, "Do you think money grows on trees"?

At the military surplus store, you could actually buy real military surplus from WWII that was dumped onto the market.

MyFlatline
01-05-2019, 08:08 PM
Dwell meter, that throws the new guys for a loop.. then toss out wouble stick and the are lost. Couldn't adjust the points on a Cheby without them

high standard 40
01-05-2019, 08:35 PM
Dwell meter, that throws the new guys for a loop.. then toss out wouble stick and the are lost. Couldn't adjust the points on a Cheby without them
Dwell was 28-32 degrees on most V8s.

Les Staley
01-05-2019, 09:10 PM
Kmart (just getting started from Kresges) sold tune up kits for most cars (points, condenser and roter) for $2.39. If car started running rough, pull over, pop the distributer cap, file the points with the wife's nail emory board, set the gap useing a matchbook cover (pretty close to 016 thousandths) and hit the road to K mart.

JWFilips
01-05-2019, 09:13 PM
To Follow up Winger Ed:
Overdrive!
3 on the column or 4 on the floor!

woodbutcher
01-05-2019, 10:04 PM
:D Then there`s:
Carrying the mail.
Balling the jack.
Terms for very fast drivers.
Leo

one-eyed fat man
01-05-2019, 10:31 PM
One I heard on a few occasions, "I brought you into this world, and by God, I can take you out."

AZBronco
01-05-2019, 10:49 PM
I`m saving up to buy....

Winger Ed.
01-05-2019, 11:04 PM
I`m saving up to buy....
That went away with 'hula hoops', rabbit ear antennas to get in the 3 TV stations, and steel roller skates that clamped onto your saddle or penny loafers.
Also gas stations with a service bay & mechanic on duty, and you had to get permission to pump your own gas, then go inside and pay.

buckwheatpaul
01-06-2019, 08:34 AM
dagnagit!

Winger Ed.
01-06-2019, 02:44 PM
Mom would say, "Those kids are running around like a 33 & 1/3 record played on 78".

Grandma's cure for any illness was 2 table spoons of Castor oil.
Grocery stores only had paper sacks. Meat came in white paper wrappers.
Mom packed your steel lunchbox with a sandwich wrapped in wax paper.
You stood in line for your new prison made license plates that all expired on the same day every year.
You returned your empty glass soda bottles for deposit when you got refilled ones.
People knew what a 'church key' was for.
There was a very good reason you checked the oil and tire pressure whenever you got gas.
Nobody knew 'white gas' or the cheapest 'no Lead' was a perfect substitute for Coleman fuel.
If you drove a pick up truck into the city- you were some kind of really poor country bumpkin.
In older houses, you still occasionally saw Deerborn or even open flame gas heaters.

WheelgunConvert
01-06-2019, 08:54 PM
Only you can prevent forest fires
Ask what you can do for your country, not what your country can do for you.
Smokey
If I tell you a rooster can pull a freight train, you better harness him up
Flipped chicken

mold maker
01-07-2019, 12:59 PM
This thread should be called "Giggles and memories".

Smoke4320
01-08-2019, 12:55 PM
in like flynn

Loudenboomer
01-08-2019, 02:06 PM
Pretty girl wolf whistles!

Thin Man
01-08-2019, 09:24 PM
Ask a stoopid question, the answer that came back was "cat got a climbing gear???" or "does a bear poop in the woods??".

hlvabeach
01-08-2019, 10:48 PM
You are like a bull in a china closet.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

hlvabeach
01-08-2019, 10:50 PM
He/she has wine taste on a beer budget.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

KenH
01-08-2019, 11:02 PM
"does a bear poop in the woods??"

He/she has wine taste on a beer budget.

Colder than a witches tit.

Wait, I thought this thread was to be about phrases from childhood times. Those 3 above are still in common use - aren't they? I say them quite often.

buckwheatpaul
01-09-2019, 06:27 PM
Got your rubbers (goulashes / rubber boots) - my grandmother
Pack your grip (suitcase) - my grandmother
cruising for a bruising

Winger Ed.
01-09-2019, 07:20 PM
Banks gave you a toaster or some small home appliance when you opened an account.
Grocery stores gave out green stamps, and only had paper sacks.
The Interstate Hi-way system wasn't complete yet outside of big cities.
Only big luxury cars had front disc brakes.
It was common to see a after market, under the dash airconditioner if a car didn't have AC from the factory.

MyFlatline
01-09-2019, 07:30 PM
Laundry detergent had glass wear in the box
Brylcreem
Butch wax
Party line phone
Fedoras.

I didn't know what a Barber was til I was 10 or 11. Was sheared like a sheep.. Still do it to myself..

maggnutt
01-16-2019, 10:10 PM
Why be stupid if you cant show it

bbs70
01-17-2019, 03:14 PM
Darn, some of these I had completely forgotten about.
Like glass wear in detergent boxes, my mama had a collection of glasses from them
Books of Eagle, top value, and green stamp books.
Making her own lye soap, ringer wash machine, side by side rinse tubs.
Hell, she even made her own wine and root beer.
Man those were great days

Tripplebeards
01-17-2019, 03:22 PM
Where’s the beef??!!!

woodbutcher
01-18-2019, 10:23 AM
[smilie=s: How about"Lickedy Split"?
Leo

Conditor22
01-18-2019, 12:56 PM
You’ll shoot your eye out

Jury-rigged something

Flip a ***** = U-turn (starts with a "B")

hunky-dory

kick the can

red rover

lights on nobody's home

the elevator doesn't reach the top floor

Winger Ed.
01-18-2019, 02:58 PM
'Take ya out behind the woodshed'.
'He's got a burr under his saddle'. 'She's got a bee in her bonnet'.
The word 'gay' meant happy.
Dish towels came in bags of Gladiola flour. Grandma made her own buttermilk.
Milk was delivered to your door in glass bottles.
Prime time TV shows were Black & white.
Madder than a captured Jap.

MrWolf
01-19-2019, 12:26 PM
On tv you would here "It's 10 PM, do you know where your kids are?" We would jump up and try to turn the volume down. Yea no remotes back then except us kids.

JWFilips
01-19-2019, 04:35 PM
Not sure if I saw this here yet:

You can talk to me until you are "Blue in the face"
( I'm not going to listen!)

coloraydo
01-19-2019, 10:37 PM
To the moon, Alice.

popper
01-19-2019, 10:51 PM
Talk the legs off a chair.

mold maker
01-20-2019, 03:38 PM
When pigs fly.

woodbutcher
01-21-2019, 04:05 AM
:grin: My Mom had one for people that talked a lot.I think they were vaccinated with a phonograph needle.
Leo

HABCAN
01-21-2019, 12:47 PM
"My word!" "Land o' Goshen!" "My saints!" "Don't get yer knickers in a knot!" "Kilroy was here!" "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious".

David2011
01-23-2019, 12:20 AM
I`m saving up to buy....

That one went down the tubes with later generations!

Replaced with "Buy now, pay later."

woody1
01-23-2019, 03:59 PM
Remembering Prince Albert (tobacco) in a can and prank calls to the corner grocery asking,"Do you have Prince Albert in a can?" "Why, yes we do." "Well then you'd better let him out!" Followed by much laughter, usually young boys.

MrWolf
01-24-2019, 10:43 AM
Between you, me, and the lamp post. Said it yesterday.

Winger Ed.
01-24-2019, 10:47 PM
"If you don't stop that, I'll have to slap the ugly off of ya".

buckwheatpaul
01-25-2019, 08:29 AM
Remembering Prince Albert (tobacco) in a can and prank calls to the corner grocery asking,"Do you have Prince Albert in a can?" "Why, yes we do." "Well then you'd better let him out!" Followed by much laughter, usually young boys.

How about the call: "Is your refrigerator running? Well yes it is! You better go catch it then!"

fast ronnie
01-25-2019, 11:33 AM
To the moon, Alice.

They finally identified that skeleton on the moon ---------

popper
01-29-2019, 08:33 PM
Now the explanation of some of these words - tried to find the link to this but can't , it's a fun read.
"They used to use urine to tan animal skins, so families used to all pee in a pot & then once a day it was taken & Sold to the tannery.......if you had to do this to survive you were "Piss Poor". But worse than that were the really poor folk who couldn't even afford to buy a pot......they "didn't have a pot to piss in" & were the lowest of the low".
"Most people got married in June because they took their yearly bath in May, and they still smelled pretty good by June.. However, since they were starting to smell . ...... . Brides carried a bouquet of flowers to hide the body odor. Hence the custom today of carrying a bouquet when getting Married."
"Bread was divided according to status. Workers got the burnt bottom of the loaf, the family got the middle, and guests got the top, or the upper crust."
"Lead cups were used to drink ale or whisky. The combination would Sometimes knock the imbibers out for a couple of days. Someone walking along the road would take them for dead and prepare them for burial.. They were laid out on the kitchen table for a couple of days and the family would gather around and eat and drink and wait and see if they would wake up. Hence the custom of holding a wake."
"... When reopening these coffins, 1 out of 25 coffins were found to have scratch marks on the inside and they realized they had been burying people alive... So they would tie a string on the wrist of the corpse, lead it through the coffin and up through the ground and tie it to a bell. Someone would have to sit out in the graveyard all night (the graveyard shift.) to listen for the bell; thus, someone could be, saved by the bell or was considered a dead ringer."
" Peas porridge hot, peas porridge cold, peas porridge in the pot nine days old. Sometimes they could obtain pork, which made them feel quite special. When visitors came over, they would hang up their bacon to show off. It was a sign of wealth that a man could, "bring home the bacon." They would cut off a little to share with guests and would all sit around and chew the fat."

JWFilips
01-29-2019, 10:03 PM
Not sure If this one was mentioned yet but it would do well for the young folks to take to heart now days with all the cyber bullying:

"Sticks and stones can break my bones but words can never hurt me!"

Winger Ed.
01-31-2019, 07:19 PM
"Look what you did...…….. This is why we can't have nice things".

woodbutcher
02-01-2019, 05:30 PM
[smilie=s: Pitch a hissy fit.
Pitch a conniption fit.
Leo

jonp
02-02-2019, 01:57 PM

No, we always said "it's colder than a witches tit in a cast iron bra" or "colder than a whores heart"
Grandfather always said "that makes as much sense as tits on a boar pig". "Worth as much as a pisshole in a snowbank"

These sayings bring back quite a bit and I often bust out with one without thinking and get some strange looks. Many are regional or very local but are being lost in the global environment. "She's/That's quite a rig" or "check out that rig".
"Crazy enough to run through hell in a gasoline suit"
"Ain't worth a plug nickle"
"Good gravy" as an exclamation.
"Got enough guts to hang on a fence"
"Tougher than whang leather"
"ugly enough to gag a maggot"
"slap you silly"
"does the Pope wear a funny hat"?

jonp
02-02-2019, 02:03 PM
Olie, Olie, Octen Free
yelled while playing Kick The Can

Tom W.
02-03-2019, 12:11 AM
Sweet Jumpin' Jesus!

Tell it to the Marines.....

Knuckle sandwich....

richhodg66
02-03-2019, 06:34 AM
This is mainly an old army one, not kids, but certain soldiers were described by their NCOs as "spring loaded in the dumb position"

Another I used to hear the old timers say describing someone who was hopelessly screwed up is "tore up from the floor up".

One I remember my dad and uncle use when describing something that was badly broken or worn out is "it's seen better days".

baileyboy
02-03-2019, 12:50 PM
"Thanks be to God." What my mother always called an unused piece of table ware that could returned to the silverware drawer without washing.

blackthorn
02-03-2019, 12:57 PM
When asked if we could do some activity I really wanted, my Grandma would often say---"perhaps presently". I came to realize this meant somewhere between, somewhere between highly unlikely and it aint gonna happen!

Winger Ed.
02-03-2019, 01:40 PM
When traveling from New Mexico or El Paso to visit Grandparents in Mississippi,
for about a day and a half, every hour or so one of us kids would ask, "Are we still in Texas"?

7-Up ran a commercial with a real big guy that had a part in a old James Bond movie saying, "This are un-cola nuts"

AZBronco
02-06-2019, 12:37 AM
That is a Kodak moment !!!

MrWolf
02-06-2019, 10:25 AM
Is it live or is is Memorex

mold maker
02-06-2019, 01:09 PM
35mm camera film in plastic bottles.

woody1
02-06-2019, 01:29 PM
35mm camera film in plastic bottles.

Ahem, before that it was aluminum cans

Tom W.
02-06-2019, 09:32 PM
Money Grip = moneybags

Anybody remember calling home to let family know that you were o.k. by making a person-to-person collect call for someone that your momma told you to ask for that didn't live where you called?

MyFlatline
02-06-2019, 10:17 PM
We called person to person for ourselves..

I remember getting the operator on the line at a pay phone and saying it took my dime, she would connect me. Later on , they wanted to mail you a check for the .10

Ah, being poor always had it's challenges. :)

Winger Ed.
02-06-2019, 10:24 PM
When you came in and had some sad tale of woe,,, that Grandma had no sympathy for what so ever,
She'd say, "Ohhh,,,,,,, bless your heart".

coloraydo
02-06-2019, 11:37 PM
Smile, you're on Candid Camera.

bbs70
02-07-2019, 12:12 PM
Puke a buzzard off a gut wagon

coloraydo
02-08-2019, 12:57 AM
Make a freight train take a dirt road.

AZBronco
03-07-2019, 09:28 PM
I miss MY WEEKLY READER

barrabruce
03-07-2019, 10:48 PM
Put yer boots on!
If you chop your feet off with that lawnmower don’t come running to me!

No good deed should go unpunished

A dog a wife and a walnut tree.
The more you beat’em Thar betta thar be.

Being sent to the principal for 4 or six of the best. (strapping).

Or teachers whooping you telling you they’ll "teach you for being smart."

JWFilips
03-08-2019, 07:33 PM
How Many of you Remember "Highlights for Children" magazine!

Traffer
03-08-2019, 08:15 PM
I clocked my wife the other day...
Really, I was taking a clock down and she was behind me. When I swung it around it hit her in the face. (no damage, no blood, no bruise, no scars) But it made me think, "does anyone know what we meant by "getting clocked" back in the old days.

JWFilips
03-09-2019, 12:20 PM
That is a good one! My Dad used to say back in the 50's when I was misbehaving: "I'm going to clock you in the head!"

gbrown
03-09-2019, 12:54 PM
"Mom packed your steel lunchbox with a sandwich wrapped in wax paper." From Winger Ed. All I could think of was, "They must of been pretty well off, all I ever got was a brown paper sack!"
Anyway, sounds pretty much like ya'll are beating a dead horse! I think I smell a rat in the woodpile--any more of this and I'll give you a taste of trace leather. That'll put you in your place! LOL:D:D:D

Tom W.
03-09-2019, 01:51 PM
How Many of you Remember "Highlights for Children" magazine!

It's still available. I see it in some of the Doctors waiting rooms.

JWFilips
03-09-2019, 02:32 PM
Tom W.
Well they have kept me in business ( Professional photography) for many years and I'm greatfull
Jim

mold maker
03-10-2019, 08:53 AM
Growing up, I had my clock cleaned several times before I learned to pick my battles. Some times it's more important to judge his resolve more than his muscles.

woodbutcher
03-10-2019, 10:35 AM
:D When someone went past really fast,my Mom would say'Boy,he`s going Lickedy Split".
Leo

DoubleAdobe
03-10-2019, 08:07 PM
Growing up, I had my clock cleaned several times before I learned to pick my battles. Some times it's more important to judge his resolve more than his muscles.

Hmmm, thinking the "cleaning his clock" thing may be a distant cousin to this one.
When I was a little kid, my Dad was giving me a talk on dealing with bullies at school.
His terminology was "don't start the argument/fight,but if he wants to duke it, "clean his plow". I just thought of that for the first time in many years, haha. It was an oddly freeing speech. I knew he had by back if it turned into real trouble, I guess.

DoubleAdobe
03-10-2019, 08:09 PM
:D When someone went past really fast,my Mom would say'Boy,he`s going Lickedy Split".
Leo

Wow,another old one came to mind. When someone passed in a shaky place or something similar, my Dad would shake his head and say "Speed on, brother"
ETA, kind of unrelated, but when someone passed or went by with a boy/girl, man/woman sitting close together on the old bench seats, he would remark "I guess it takes two to drive that car"

Winger Ed.
03-10-2019, 08:30 PM
"I may have to slap the ugly off of ya".

fatnhappy
03-11-2019, 09:08 PM
Cigarette window