PDA

View Full Version : Best Bullets in mold form

archeryrob
12-31-2018, 12:04 PM
I want to start making my own conicals for my traditional cap rifle and my inline rifle. The traditional is a CVA Hawken 1:48 and the inline is a New frontier Cascade Magnum. I have been shooting the cap with PRB and the inline with 295 grain powder belts. Both are 50 caliber and looking for my punch than the RB and not really happy with powerbelts when I can make my own. I already have the Lee REAL 250 and 320 molds I tried it in the cap rifle with Emmerts lube and it just gunked up the rifle so i quit for a while. Now that gun seasons are over I want to start shooting in spring and find bullets I can cast on my own and find the charge for them. I want to cast several and test them for accuracy in the two guns. My daughter used the inline and I use it when she is not many times in case for a longer shot.

I some suggestion on others molds to try for the comparison with the reals.

I tried to do some reading and so my varying information. Some saying the conicals will only work in the 1:48 and the 1:28 can only handle sabots. I don;t care if the two guns need different bullets, but just want your opinions. will be using ff in the 1:48 starting at 85 grains and 777 in the 1:28 starting at 100 grains

Edward
12-31-2018, 01:46 PM
You 1-28 will do paper patch just fine ,and the 1-48 will do the lee REAL great with a card under the base . As for you gun gunking I would say find a lube that works (crisco) is simple and works . Just pan lube as you can not size those Lee"s ,they need to be as cast . Investigate the Lube thread and black powder lubes ,and I use OE 2f/3F and never let 777 near the house /Ed