PDA

View Full Version : Gout hit me

abunaitoo
12-31-2018, 06:46 AM
Haven't had an attack for a while.
Got to the range today, got out of the truck, and I felt it coming on.
Still can walk, but not well.
Got home and took my Solaray Total Cleanse Uric Acid.
Should be better tomorrow.
Not a good way to start the New Year.

condorjohn
12-31-2018, 12:41 PM
I've been battling gout for 35 years. I feel your pain. Hope you recover soon.

MUSTANG
12-31-2018, 12:47 PM
My wife periodically has gout. Drinks Pomegranate Juice or Black Cherry Juice which seems to help. Occasionally she will get a bout that requires Med's; but that seems to be less often when she drinks the juices regularly.

Dieselhorses
12-31-2018, 01:21 PM
I got that "once" and the doc said that it was from eating "sea salt". I wonder about that.

Eddie17
12-31-2018, 01:55 PM
Been using Tart Cherry Extract pills since my last bout. Has been working for me.

Chad5005
12-31-2018, 02:49 PM
I used to have it bad and Indocin was the only thing that would help mine

Taylor
12-31-2018, 07:09 PM
Got it in my big toe one time. Hurt like crazy, looked like it was hit with a hammer.

justashooter
12-31-2018, 07:24 PM
I used to have it bad and Indocin was the only thing that would help mine

indomethacin.

stop drinking red wine, brother.

Chad5005
01-01-2019, 12:42 AM
indomethacin.

stop drinking red wine, brother.

no red wine here,or any wine at all,steaks,shell fish and lima beans lol no problem now days though,no legs

Stephen Cohen
01-01-2019, 12:52 AM
Got it in my big toe one time. Hurt like crazy, looked like it was hit with a hammer.

I feel your pain, how one toe could cause so much pain is beyond me. That was till a week ago when it hit me in the left knee, just the breeze from the wall fan on my knee and moving the leg hairs was pure hell. I only have one kidney and meds seem to cause complications so lots of water and hope for the best. I always thought gout was a drinkers problem but found that is not so. Regards Stephen

Greg S
01-01-2019, 01:39 AM
Was on allopurinol and during attacks indomethacin for 20 years. Once I started drinking a 3-4 quarts ofmwaterma day and moderating my aspearagus intake to twice per week no problems. It may get alittle hot but force hydrating for a day or two usually clears it up without meds.

abunaitoo
01-01-2019, 03:22 AM
Might be from lack of water.
Been busy last few days, and I know I don't drink enough water when working.
Didn't eat anything I shouldn't.
Just getting old.

Steppenwolf
01-01-2019, 03:48 AM
Drink tonic water, the quinine in it will help. It is my go to remedy for gout.

Stephen Cohen
01-01-2019, 06:09 AM
Drink tonic water, the quinine in it will help. It is my go to remedy for gout.

With or without Gin. Regards Stephen

Taylor
01-01-2019, 07:51 AM
I feel your pain, how one toe could cause so much pain is beyond me. That was till a week ago when it hit me in the left knee, just the breeze from the wall fan on my knee and moving the leg hairs was pure hell. I only have one kidney and meds seem to cause complications so lots of water and hope for the best. I always thought gout was a drinkers problem but found that is not so. Regards Stephen

Yes, that's it. Air made it hurt and the cat of all times wanted rub on me. I woke up like that. Toe all swollen and red, hurt like nothing else. The wife accused me of stubbing my toe, even accused me of being drunk when I came home. Of all things. I lasted about 3 days before going to the doctor. He told me, "I got good news and bad news". You got gout. But it used to be called the rich mans disease. He said too much red meat and beer can cause it. Back then only rich people could afford meat and ale. He gave me some little blue pills and it was gone as fast as it came.

Taylor
01-01-2019, 07:54 AM
A thought just hit me. For my 25th birthday, Uncle Sam gave me a present. I had a hard landing, 2 broke legs and back. 6 months in an army hospital. And you know, that didn't hurt nowhere near as bad as having gout in my big toe.

abunaitoo
01-01-2019, 11:36 PM
When I was younger, used to drink lots of beer, and eat lots of red meat, along with ham, shellfish, colas, coffee, and any other food I wanted.
Never had gout.
Stopped drinking, and a year later started getting attacks.
Probably shouldn't have stopped drinking.

Taylor
01-03-2019, 08:25 AM
Hey abunaito, can you check to see if my name is still scratched in the cross at Kole-Kole pass?

Adam20
01-04-2019, 10:27 PM
First time it happened to me I went to doctor, he wiggled toe and got kicked with good foot. It’s miserable I sat in a chair And looked at a pink toe. Just wanted to shoot it off.
Good luck it gets better

abunaitoo
01-05-2019, 02:15 AM
Hey abunaito, can you check to see if my name is still scratched in the cross at Kole-Kole pass?

It's closed almost all year.
They used to have a run through it once a year.
Don't know if they still do it.

Greg S
01-05-2019, 05:37 AM
Stay well hydrated gents. Dillution is a solution to a point. Fresh water, not that barley water.

Rufus Krile
01-05-2019, 11:30 PM
Folks that haven't had the gout experience don't realize just how much pain we're talking about... I haven't had an attack in 6 years, but I'm religious about taking Allopurinol daily. Something else to worry about: gout can bring on bursitis. Have it in my left hip right now and they can't do anything about it other than cortisone shots. Treatment consists of, ahem, grandpa's hip elixir. When you get our age you do whatever you have to do...

justashooter
01-09-2019, 03:44 PM
no red wine here,or any wine at all,steaks,shell fish and lima beans lol no problem now days though,no legs

heart goes out to you. i will not complain any more.

daengmei
01-09-2019, 05:53 PM
I once limped gingerly to a school function for my daughter and her teacher asked about my walk. Told her I was recovering from a gout attack and previously had so much pain I wanted to chainsaw my foot off....she said her husband had talked of the same thing, also having an attack. She said she thought he was exaggerating about the pain....now she knew better.

I'm now taking Feboxastat (SP?) and no attack for several years. The allopurinol did not stop them. Serious diet changes also helped. I just breath air now.[smilie=l:

Butchman205
01-09-2019, 06:26 PM
Indomethacin always fixes me up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mold maker
01-09-2019, 08:50 PM
Who'd thunk, something as small as your toe could turn you into a whimpering little girl? And, by the end of the second night with no sleep, you'd consider a 44 HP as pain relief?
BTDT, during a week long camping trip in the deep woods. I had to pack up and walk to civilization.

Elkins45
01-09-2019, 10:09 PM
I had it once. Once was enough. I didn’t hunt deer this year for the first time since the mid-80s. Everybody I know has severely cut back their deer consumption because of gout fear so my deer freezer is still 3/4 full. At the rate I’m going through it I may still have some left next fall.

Drinking a ton of water helps keep it from getting worse and makes it go away faster. Of course you make yourself miserable walking to the bathroom.

lead-1
06-28-2019, 12:41 AM
Been dealing with it in my elbow since last Friday evening, I thought Sunday was the worst it would get but today has been extremely miserable. It hurts no matter how I move it and an ice pack don't even feel cold. I have a bad ticker and kidneys that are checked every six months due to the heart meds so a lot of the meds the Dr wants to give me are risky.
I don't wish this on nobody.

abunaitoo
06-28-2019, 05:59 AM
I don't take any meds fr my gout.
Heard they are bad side effects.
Drink lots of water, watch what I eat, no alcohol, try not to do anything stupid.
When I feel it coming on,
Black cherry extract in a glass of water, 3 times a day.
Solaray Total Cleanse Uric Acid, Celery seed 600mg tab, Aleve, 2 tabs of each, 2 times a day.

Sig556r
06-28-2019, 07:15 AM
Low purine diet...

redhawk0
06-28-2019, 07:53 AM
This is a good time of year for Cherries....so get a big bag of Black Cherries...have a dozen or so everyday. It will be relieved within 24 hours.

redhawk

dagger dog
06-28-2019, 07:46 PM
When I was younger, used to drink lots of beer, and eat lots of red meat, along with ham, shellfish, colas, coffee, and any other food I wanted.
Never had gout.
Stopped drinking, and a year later started getting attacks.
Probably shouldn't have stopped drinking.

:drinks:

Parson
06-28-2019, 09:12 PM
I get it every couple years. First time was the worst until doctor told me what it was. Went to health food store for Black Cherry Extract. Put as much in a glass of apple juice as I can handle, taste terrible. Clears it up in a short time and good for another couple years

OldBearHair
06-28-2019, 09:47 PM
When Cherries are in season, buy a bunch and dehydrate completely and eat a few every day until it runs out and if you bought enough they last all year til next crop of Cherries. I have gout in the middle knuckle both hands (about 40 years) and should I bump a middle finger on a door or something, the pain is excrusiating. They never hurt as bad as what you all are decribing.....

lead-1
07-02-2019, 10:31 PM
Well Sunday morning after aprox six hours sleep in three days, I couldn't take the pain any more so off to the ER I went. After bloodwork and X-rays I was admitted for cellulitis, two and a half days of strong IV antibiotics they sent me home to take ten days of oral antibiotics.
They started me off with a shot of Morphine and the later that day some Norco then the rest of the time it was Tylenol every four hours, I've gone from a pain rate of 8 to a current rate of 1 and I can move that arm a fair range of movement now, man that cellulitis stuff is at the top of my do not want again list!

GregLaROCHE
07-02-2019, 11:57 PM
First time it happened to me I went to doctor, he wiggled toe and got kicked with good foot. It’s miserable I sat in a chair And looked at a pink toe. Just wanted to shoot it off.
Good luck it gets better

If one day you shoot it off, you can send it to Dawson City in the Yukon and they wi put in bottle of alcohol and serve it to people.

AllanD
07-03-2019, 12:30 AM
After your second attack you will seriously consider getting careless with axe or chainsaw.

But the drug that works best is stuff called Colchicine, unfortunately most people just getting their first gout attack are already on Cholesterol and blood pressure meds and most "Statin"" drugs interact in a bad way with Colchicine.

Decades ago I got my feet caught and partially crushed in the brace legs of a small backhoe, and frankly walking on feet with broken bones is nothing compared to the pain from a gouty toe!

There is a reason gout was commonly depicted as a Dragon chewing on a toe.

I feel for you fortunately I haven't had an attack since December 2015, but the only food I dropped from my diet is canned tuna.