PDA

View Full Version : Tangential ogive for BP?

EchoSixMike
10-07-2008, 04:52 PM
I was considering casting REAL's or Maxis for BP but after futher reading I've been thinking about simply going full boat and getting a heavy (500'ish gn) custom mold, probably from Dan at MM. The molds I've got from him have been good so far and I find the design program to be effective. This is for a 1:28 Austin and Halleck using 2F Grafs, probably going to be 80-100gn, and I can fire it off via just about anything from 209's to musket caps to 11's, as I about cleaned them out when I bought the rifle.

What's the pros/cons of a Whitworth style projo vs a tangential ogive(ie LBT style) I'm thinking 4groove, 5 band with a .4 nose and 65% meplat, lubed with SPG or similar. I've been pondering a gas check as well, what are the pro/cons there? S/F.....Ken M

freedom475
10-07-2008, 05:31 PM
I know that the Maxi is real accurate...and the Real is also a good boolit. I shoot both of them in my 54 flintlock.

I have only shot one deer with the Real boolit, but in 54 cal it hit like a FreightTrain. I shot a doe that was standing on top of two large square hay bales (4'x4'x8' ) at about 60 yrds. She was facing straight on, ...I thought it was going to be real cool to watch her blow off the 8 ft stack...no luck....the boolit just droped her where she stood! She never moved enough to even fall from the platform. Small frontal nose or not; the Real is a killer!:Fire:

I suppose anytime you get over 50cal, nose profile is not as important. Round balls from a 72cal seem to flatten deer just the same.

Maven
10-07-2008, 06:39 PM
Ken M, I think freedom 475 is correct about the nose configuration: I don't think it makes much difference either. What DOES make a difference with conical bullets is bearing length, how carefully you cast them (got to be perfect!), powder granulation*, and lube quality. For example, I'm getting repeatably VG -> Excellent results with T/C Maxi-Balls and Lee Improved Minies seated over 60gr. Goex FFg (target load), ignited by a CCI #11 primer and lubed with Ox-Yoke Wonder Lube (stick form for my RCBS Lub-A-Matic). The rifle is a Knight Bighorn with a 26" bbl. and 1:28 twist.

*See my 10/5/08 post, "Size Matters" on the Cast Bullet forum.

Rattus58
10-07-2008, 06:45 PM
What is the bore diameter of your A&H? These things go from +/- .005 so you could have a real tight sucker like I have, or you may have a more loose one. If you get the right bullet with the right bore diameter, the austin and Halleck shoots conicals phenomenally.... (1443 fps with a Dan's gas check mold and a .499 sizer... it too a custom)

http://www.sunrisearchery.com/nwsltr/March05News.pdf

Aloha... :cool:

EchoSixMike
10-07-2008, 09:32 PM
Well, a .502 slug engraves slightly when pushed through the bore, so I was going to order .502 as cast and work from there, since there's a +.002 tolerance on the mold.

I'd rather go larger than smaller and heavier than lighter. This will also be used for elk and blackies, as well as feral hogs, so being overgunned isn't an issue. My usual sidehammer load is a 405gn Blackbelt and 100gn of Pyro RS and that's not unpleasant at all. S/F.....Ken M

Rattus58
10-08-2008, 04:43 AM
Hmmmmm if you actually got a 502 and you cast pure lead, you will most likely cast a .501 bullet... then have to get a .502 sizer and might have to "bump up" your bullet a little.... :)

Aloha... :cool:

missionary5155
10-08-2008, 06:00 AM
Before I invested in a custom mold I would visit the "Muzzle Loader Benchrest" fellers. They have got the bullet design ideas near used up and shoot some VERY FINE "itty-bitty" groups. Any pure lead bullet shape is going to expand on contact.

Geraldo
10-08-2008, 11:22 AM
I know IdahoRon has posted on this site. He uses paper patched boolits to good effect is muzzleloaders, so if you search for threads by him you might find useful info.

Underclocked
10-08-2008, 11:49 AM
Try some of Bull Shop's UC Shorts :). If you like that design and it shoots well in your A&H, I have the original drawing and will provide it to you. My objective with that bullet was one that would do well in twists from 1:24 though 1:32 and so far it has done reasonably well.

Another bullet Bull Shop produces is from a MM mold, the 460 NEx. Get a few of those too. I'm sure the mold dimensions/drawing could be had (I may have them). Dan can size them to .502 for you and I think you would like both bullets. Choosing a mold design would then be a lot simpler.

http://home.mchsi.com/~rltsr/bullshop.jpg sorry for the blurred pics.