PDA

View Full Version : Recharging batteries

abunaitoo
12-30-2018, 03:53 AM
I have some C123 lithium batteries from our alarm system.
They go to the sensors, so they are not recharged over time.
Since these are lithium batteries, can they be recharged????

Johnch
12-30-2018, 08:22 AM
No

I use those batteries in 2 BRIGHT Flashlights
I buy ShureFire brand batteries in 12 packs

Same company that makes the flashlights

Way less of a cost per battery ... like 1/2 price
But since they sell the flashlights , I figure they should sell good batteries also
I tested the batteries and found they last the same as other brands

I have found the batteries 2 places
Both online and through a friend that has a FFL
Acu Sport was the last place he got them from , but I am sure lots of other whole sale houses sell them also
LOL I get them for just $ 1 over his cost

But I have to wait till he has a order already going in

John

GhostHawk
12-30-2018, 09:46 AM
If you google C123 lithium batteries you also find images for C123 battery chargers.

Amazon has charger and a 12 pack of 700 mah batterys but its 70$.

If it was me, I'd try this one.
https://www.amazon.com/Rechargeable-Battery-Zeasun-Lithium-ion-Batteries/dp/B072HF4FVK/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1546177500&sr=8-6&keywords=cr123+battery+charger

blackthorn
12-30-2018, 01:26 PM
I went through this just before Christmas. After some research, I decided on Eneloop batteries from Amazon. I bought a charger that does both AA & AAA, brand name Panasonic. These are not Lithium, they are NiCad(?sp). So far I am pleased with this combination Charger/battery. I have some old Cobra walkie/talkies and 4 AAA will give 32+ continuous "on", standby power.

JoeG52
12-30-2018, 05:01 PM
I went through this just before Christmas. After some research, I decided on Eneloop batteries from Amazon. I bought a charger that does both AA & AAA, brand name Panasonic. These are not Lithium, they are NiCad(?sp). So far I am pleased with this combination Charger/battery. I have some old Cobra walkie/talkies and 4 AAA will give 32+ continuous "on", standby power.
Eneloop batteries are NOT NiCad, they are NiMH.

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-30-2018, 06:22 PM
Warning: Most C123 batteries are disposable. Charging disposable Lithium batteries is just asking for an explosion/fire. If they are clearly marked rechargeable, then with a correctly designed charger device, you can recharge them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fG_UuPmLO1c

blackthorn
12-30-2018, 08:02 PM
Eneloop batteries are NOT NiCad, they are NiMH.

Yep---my mistake---(old man syndrome I guess)

Mr_Sheesh
12-30-2018, 08:50 PM
JonB, you say that like fires aren't fun? :p

There are indeed non rechargeable and rechargeable Lithium Batteries; And the two run at different voltages, some of the rechargeables run at a higher enough voltage that it COULD possibly damage a device IIRC. (Been a while but I looked into these in earnest for some devices I have.) I elected to just buy non rechargeable batteries for that, for now, to prevent cooked electronics.

You can definitely use partly discharged batteries in flashlights etc., but, carry a spare battery or two, for when the first one discharges.

Rick Hodges
12-31-2018, 03:33 PM
Rechargable 123's are called "16340" batteries. They have different chemistry than 123's.