PDA

View Full Version : Jim Shockey Gold?

jethunter
12-27-2018, 08:38 PM
Found a good deal on a quantity of Jim Shockey Gold FFG and FFFG. Is it suitable for BPCR use or should I pass on it?

Kraschenbirn
12-27-2018, 09:42 PM
From my limited experience with Jim Shockey Gold, I'd advise you to pass. I tried some in 45-70s and couldn't come close to matching accuracy and consistency of real BP. Gave what I had left to another shooter and he almost destroyed a really nice reproduction Richards-Mason Colt Navy. Wiped the exterior and ran a couple patches through the bore and chambers before he leaving the range and, by the time he got around to really cleaning the gun later that evening, had fine layer of rust every place where any fouling residue remained.

Bill

crankycalico
12-27-2018, 09:53 PM
every time people wise up to that stuff labeled with shockeys name on it, sales drop to nothing, and they change the label so people start buying it.

10 years ago, the internet population of the firearms world considered him a bigger joke then Gerry Rivers.

rancher1913
12-27-2018, 09:58 PM
I think that is the powder made from sugar, might be wrong but his name and sugar powder stick in my brain.

NSB
12-27-2018, 11:40 PM
Absolutely the worst stuff I ever tried as a BP sub....by far. I lost any respect for the guy for even putting his name on this stuff. He had to know better.

Loudenboomer
12-28-2018, 09:43 AM
A friend of mine was a cook in a sheep camp with Jim and his Dad some years back and said they were real first class guys. As far as gold powder goes I've never herd any thing good about it.

Huvius
12-28-2018, 04:41 PM
I tried Shockey’s Gold in my first BPC rifle, a Westley Richards 1869 500/450 No.1 Express, and I thought it actually performed well.
The residue needed to be cleaned promptly or it would harden but hot water cut it without too much work.
I still have a couple containers of it but now that I am a disciple of the Holy Black I really don’t know what I’m going to use it in...

crankycalico
12-28-2018, 06:02 PM
I tried Shockey’s Gold in my first BPC rifle, a Westley Richards 1869 500/450 No.1 Express, and I thought it actually performed well.
The residue needed to be cleaned promptly or it would harden but hot water cut it without too much work.
I still have a couple containers of it but now that I am a disciple of the Holy Black I really don’t know what I’m going to use it in...

got gopher dens?

jethunter
12-29-2018, 03:29 AM
Did some reading on different forums about this powder.I guess j know why its being offered at the low price. Thanks for your replies

Knarley
01-05-2019, 02:58 PM
I use it mainly for SASS shoots, in the BP catagories. Accuracy isn't paramount. Works fine for that, but make sure it gets cleaned immediately! Cleans well with hot water and a little soap, or Balistol and water. Make sure the gun gets oiled when done!! Trust me on this.
Tried with LEE alox in a 45-70 for BPCR....ONCE. Leading to beat the band. YMMV.

The "Gold" is the same stuff, more expensive than the regular, 'cuz his mug is on the can...
Knarley

Smoke4320
01-05-2019, 03:17 PM
Strange it must be the loose form that's bad. I have been using the pellets for 50 cal inline for years .. very very consistant clean burning
I clean up with shooters choice and oil down with CLP .. never had any rusting issues ..
Have left gun loaded for over a week during hunting season Fired right off when needed

have turned many customers to it and never a complaint