PDA

View Full Version : Looking for member BNE, need some alloy tested...

Idaho Sharpshooter
12-27-2018, 02:06 AM
I have two large piles of alloy in ingots. Both are oxidized a bit, and the same color. One is pure lead, the other WW.
I would like to have you test one or the other to help me identify them.

My new Shiloh 45-100 needs boolits using the pure lead to alloy.

thanks,

Rich

You may PM me if you prefer.

Traffer
12-27-2018, 02:59 AM
Did you try to PM him?

Peregrine
12-27-2018, 03:36 AM
If one batch is pure alloy and the other WW you will certainly be able to tell which is which after marking both with a punch.

WW is much, much harder than straight lead, the difference should be obvious to even the most casual observer after trying to dent/cut an ingot.

kevin c
12-27-2018, 04:59 AM
Or how about putting an ingot of each in a vise and compressing a BB between them? The pure should have a significantly bigger indentation.

BK7saum
12-27-2018, 08:08 AM
Or drop ingots on a concrete floor. The one that rings will be the WW.

OS OK
12-27-2018, 08:11 AM
Take one ingot of each stack, walk over to a concrete surface and drop them from belly button height. Try to drop them so that they land on an edge.

The pure Pb will have a definite 'thud' when it hits the deck and the WW will have a higher 'ting' sounding thud when it hits.
If the ingots are what you say.

lightman
12-27-2018, 06:44 PM
When I need to contact him I go to the stickies with his XFR test, click on his name and send a private message.

shooter93
12-27-2018, 08:50 PM
I have a Cabin Tree tester for BHN. If it helps just send me a sample of what you need tested and I'll check it for you.

Peregrine
12-27-2018, 08:59 PM
Take one ingot of each stack, walk over to a concrete surface and drop them from belly button height. Try to drop them so that they land on an edge.

Or drop ingots on a concrete floor. The one that rings will be the WW.

Yes, I'll third trying this. The difference is very convincing.

Conditor22
12-27-2018, 10:37 PM
there are threads on pencil hardness testing. I'd get a set of pencils that way in the future you will always know what the lead hardness is.

You could find him in the members list and PM him

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/memberlist.php

or you can search BNE in the search bar