PDA

View Full Version : Question about length of new virgin brass.

Trapperscott
12-26-2018, 10:16 PM
I have recently acquired an 1894 marlin 357 cs. I posted here about what heavy mold to get for it. I ordered an NOE 360-180 on the recommendation of several here. It's a great mold and I really like the boolit it throws.

Here's my problem. I bought some brand new virgin Hornady brass. I have ordered some starline brass for this rifle but it hasn't arrived yet. In working up this Hornady brass I wanted to trim all of it to the same length. My Hornady reloading manual advises a max case length of 1.290 with a trim to length of 1.280. Got my trimmer out and ready and measured the first piece of Honady brass and low and behold, it measures 1.244. The next one measured 1.2475. The next three measure 1.251, 1.243, and 1.2435.

My question is, with these cases being so much shorter than the trim to length what kind of pressure problems am I going to get into by using these shorter cases? These are shorter by .029 to .037 shorter than the trim to length.

I'm getting great groups of 1/2 to 3/4 groups at 50 yards with iron sights with some used Starline brass I had on hand. I've worked up to 14.5 gr of LiL gun with no pressure signs at all.

I hate to have to start over with this brass to make sure I don't have issues with pressure.

What am I getting into if I use this shorter brass?

lightman
12-26-2018, 10:34 PM
I would not think that the pressure increase would be significant. If you are really worried you might drop the charge by 1/10th of a grain or so. I am seeing lots of post about Hornady brass being shorter than normal. Kind of makes one wonder why?

crankycalico
12-26-2018, 10:43 PM
lever revolution cases. THEY DO MAKE NORMAL BRASS at hornady ive been told, but it you want brass that's made to SAAMI spec,

Starline
Remington
Winchester
Federal

Are your friends. Reducing the over all length like that CAN cause issues, but as your using a 180 grain bullet, your already going to be pretty close to minimum case capacity as it is.....

country gent
12-26-2018, 11:27 PM
If you can maintain book overall length in the shorter case capacity will be very close. If you need to shorten it to crimp in groove or some other reason then drop down 10% and work up. I would load them to overall length in book or longer if rifle allows for it taper crimp on a band and try it. Any change in components ( even same maker different lot numbers) should be lowered and worked up.

Peregrine
12-27-2018, 12:30 AM
Well, here's one thing to think about- if you don't adjust the seating depth on your die you're not going to change the amount of empty volume in the case, and indeed the only thing that will change is the amount of brass you have gripping your bullet...and when you reduce that initial resistance to getting the bullet moving you're actually decreasing pressure.

In other words I wouldn't give it a second thought, just load 'em up and let the brass grow to where the book says it should be. I've had some once fired Dominian 8x57 brass that was .070" undersized and after some thought I just loaded it up and let it stretch to something more in line with published data.

osteodoc08
12-27-2018, 01:20 AM
Welcome to the world of Hornady. I’ve had so many issues with their products I don’t buy many reloading components from them except blasting bullets. Occasionally brass. I know the 45/70 brass is short and I use their brass in one of my 1886 that has zero throat. Not sure the 357M have shorter cases by design for the FTX bullets.

That being said. Just load and shoot. Once you get your Starline in, trim if you feel the need to and head back to the range.

Trapperscott
12-27-2018, 10:36 PM
I appreciate the replies guys. I think I’m going to set these aside and wait on my star line brass to get here.

Dan Cash
12-27-2018, 10:52 PM
Even Starline, at least in .45-70, is way short. Most of what I bought in the past has run 1.80 or so instead of 2.10. It gives some leading problem with black powder loads but I have over come it.

winelover
12-28-2018, 08:05 AM
I noticed Starline brass in 44 Mag, is a little on the short side. Not that big of a deal, might have to adjust/tweak the seating die. Cast bullets don't build the pressures that the same weight J-words do.............so I'm never concerned with high pressures as long as I'm at or under J-word published loading data.

Winelover