PDA

View Full Version : how much weight variation?

hornsurgeon
10-06-2008, 09:54 PM
how much weight variation is ok without affecting accuracy? i cast some for my 45/70 from a lee mold. almost all came out between 408.5 and 409.5. is 1 grain too much variation for a boolit that heavy? should i keep it to 1/2 grain?

felix
10-06-2008, 10:05 PM
That 1 grain variation should be plenty good to pass through within the typical 45-70 used for close range especially. ... felix

Bullshop
10-06-2008, 10:17 PM
Weigh some factory jacketed bullets of about the same weight and see what ya get.
BIC/BS

wills
10-06-2008, 10:32 PM
Or, sort em into half grain groups: 408.0-04, 408.05-.09, 409.0-409.04 etc and shoot them together

jhalcott
10-07-2008, 02:23 PM
What per cent of the AVERAGE bullet weight is ONE grain? One quarter of one per cent does not seem to be enough to worry about. Of course ,what YOU intend to shoot them in/at is a consideration. Are they for long range target work or hunting, or casual plinking? Are you shooting them in a T/C Contender or an old trapdoor.?
I rarely worry about weight any more. Most of MY cast bullets are shot at under 100 yards at clay birds the trap shooters miss. This gives me a 4" target laying on the bank.!

Boomer Mikey
10-07-2008, 06:24 PM
I don't weigh them anymore for 100 yard work or less.

The most important part of a cast bullet is the quality of the bullet's base.

The bullet has completely filled out driving bands.

A consistent diameter that's at least groove diameter or larger for the barrel it's used in.

Weighing cast bullets that have been sorted into groups with these qualities will reveal very little weight variation when cast from the same pot of metal in the same casting session.

Most defects are from bullets cast too cold, too hot, and adding more material to the pot while casting.

When you get into a good casting rhythm the perfect bullets will pile up quickly and some days everything goes back into the pot until the correct tempo is reached.

I've weighed thousands of cast bullets and sorted them to tenths of a grain to end up tossing them back into the pot due to base and drive band defects.

I've learned to sort first, then weigh for long range work.

1 grain variation is insignificant in a 400 grain bullet except for the most demanding application.

Have fun,

Boomer :Fire: