PDA

View Full Version : 2018 Christmas Dinner - What's cookin'??

JBinMN
12-25-2018, 12:48 PM
Merry Christmas !!!

I was wondering what everyone else is having for their Christmas dinner... ??

We are having a smoked whole yardbird, a chicken this time, with mashed potatoes & gravy, green bean casserole, and miscellaneous appetizers before hand. Apple pie for dessert.

I just put the brined chicken, all rubbed, and butter/spice injected, on the smoker with Cherry & Hickory to start & some Apple wood after an hour or so.

It is not necessarily a "traditional" Christmas dinner, but there are only the two of us & maybe my youngest son stopping by later. The Oldest son is working,with his missus & the two grandboys in Savannah , Ga., visiting her kinfolk down there. So, I am just keeping it a small dinner this year.
Turkey is just too big for just us to eat & besides, we had a hankering for some more brined & smoked chicken.

So... What is your Christmas dinner gonna be?
:)

Freightman
12-25-2018, 01:09 PM
Prime Rib, cooked over Mesquite all the trimmings, and Pecan pie. Traditional Texas Christmas no snow or cold.

JBinMN
12-25-2018, 01:10 PM
Prime Rib, cooked over Mesquite all the trimmings, and Pecan pie. Traditional Texas Christmas no snow or cold.

NICE!

Merry Christmas !!!

CastingFool
12-25-2018, 01:12 PM
We're having a spiral cut ham, cuban style roast pork, green bean casserole, baked sweet potatoes. That is just what we are providing. The rest of the family will be bringing other vittles. There will be 13 of us, including 4 little boys.

KMac
12-25-2018, 01:17 PM
Chicken Gumbo and Jalapeno Poppers. My wife usually stays up half the night on Christmas eve getting a turkey and dressing and several pies and a lot of other stuff. So we asked her to just make her excellent chicken gumbo so she can get some rest this Christmas. I will grill the Jalapeno poppers and she is making a Caramel Creme pie. Life is good.

Hossfly
12-25-2018, 01:19 PM
Smoked turkey and deer ham yesterday, helped making giblet gravy this morning, green bean casorole Hawaiian rolls and cranberry sause, then nap time. 10 adults to fill up. Happy, Happy, Happy. Cloudy and about 60’ no sun but dry. Not sweating concrete. Beautiful day Merry Christmas everyone. Deer get the day off.

JBinMN
12-25-2018, 01:21 PM
We're having a spiral cut ham, cuban style roast pork, green bean casserole, baked sweet potatoes. That is just what we are providing. The rest of the family will be bringing other vittles. There will be 13 of us, including 4 little boys.

Whoah! Quite the crew there!
Sounds like a feast! Enjoy!

Merry Christmas !!!

Chicken Gumbo and Jalapeno Poppers. My wife usually stays up half the night on Christmas eve getting a turkey and dressing and several pies and a lot of other stuff. So we asked her to just make her excellent chicken gumbo so she can get some rest this Christmas. I will grill the Jalapeno poppers and she is making a Caramel Creme pie. Life is good.

Nice that you were thinking of her that way!

Looks like an excellent dinner for you folks!

Merry Christmas !!!

JBinMN
12-25-2018, 01:22 PM
Smoked turkey and deer ham yesterday, helped making giblet gravy this morning, green bean casorole Hawaiian rolls and cranberry sause, then nap time. 10 adults to fill up. Happy, Happy, Happy. Cloudy and about 60’ no sun but dry. Not sweating concrete. Beautiful day Merry Christmas everyone. Deer get the day off.

Num Num!
;)

Another mouth waterin meal too!

Merry Christmas !!!

Off to check the smoker now for me... might have to have a snack since reading these is making the mouth water.
;)
LOL

dverna
12-25-2018, 01:32 PM
Put my famous pork loin in the crock pot an hour ago. Cheesy potatoes, corn soufflé, and peas to follow.

Inviting over the local hermit. An old Vet who lives alone in a 16x16 cabin and has no running water or vehicle. His son and future DIL were supposed to see him but bailed for some reason. Hate to see him sit alone watching TV, chain smoking, and getting drunk. He cannot smoke here but have a place set up outside on the porch for him

JBinMN
12-25-2018, 01:45 PM
Put my famous pork loin in the crock pot an hour ago. Cheesy potatoes, corn soufflé, and peas to follow.

Inviting over the local hermit. An old Vet who lives alone in a 16x16 cabin and has no running water or vehicle. His son and future DIL were supposed to see him but bailed for some reason. Hate to see him sit alone watching TV, chain smoking, and getting drunk. He cannot smoke here but have a place set up outside on the porch for him

Grand gesture & in the Christmas spirit to invite the fellow over! Good on ya'll for that!
:drinks: :)

Looks to me that your dinner is going to be Great! Have a wonderful time!

Merry Christmas !!!

Idaho45guy
12-25-2018, 02:57 PM
My brother's wife's family is German, so we had a traditional German meal last night.

Lots of vinegar and sour foods. Don't remember the names of it all, but this was the main attraction:

Kalduolphekosse (Kartoffelkloesse) German Potato Balls...

Going to a Hispanic family's Christmas today for their meal, and then to my brother's house tonight for smoked turkey and mashed potatoes. So a truly diverse Christmas meal experience.

JBinMN
12-25-2018, 03:12 PM
My brother's wife's family is German, so we had a traditional German meal last night.

Lots of vinegar and sour foods. Don't remember the names of it all, but this was the main attraction:

Kalduolphekosse (Kartoffelkloesse) German Potato Balls...

Going to a Hispanic family's Christmas today for their meal, and then to my brother's house tonight for smoked turkey and mashed potatoes. So a truly diverse Christmas meal experience.

Interesting! I have never had such German foods. Maybe some day I will have the chance. I like different ethnic foods on occasion. I am curious as to what the Hispanic folks have for dinner too, so please share what you have there if you can.

I hope you enjoy your meals & have a wonderful time enjoying your Christmas!

Merry Christmas !!!

koehn,jim
12-25-2018, 03:16 PM
Smoked baby back ribs and French fries.

JWFilips
12-25-2018, 04:21 PM
Having a "Who" Christmas: A nice "roast beast" !

curdog
12-25-2018, 04:45 PM
Baked bone in ham from wennemans meat market. Homade baked beans and homade potato salad and banana split cake.

Kimber1911
12-25-2018, 04:49 PM
We are going way non traditional, homemade pizzas and smoked wings!!

Kraschenbirn
12-25-2018, 05:09 PM
Just got home from our annual two-family Xmas 'Potluck Brunch'. Menu this year included: Fresh waffles, (genuine!) German Apfelstrudel, Biscuits & Gravy, Hopple Popple (another German classic), Monte Cristo Sandwiches, Bacon, (homemade) Sausage, and a fresh fruit platter along with an assortment of doughnuts/sweet rolls. Doubt if we'll be doing much in the way of an Xmas dinner this evening.

Bill

JBinMN
12-25-2018, 07:38 PM
Smoked baby back ribs and French fries.

Not too bad a meal! I like some slaw with mine when I can get it...
;)

Enjoy!

Merry Christmas !!!

JBinMN
12-25-2018, 07:39 PM
Having a "Who" Christmas: A nice "roast beast" !

Nice! Wild game is great! Many times we had some sort of wildfowl like ducks or geese, as well of course venison like deer or rabbit.

Bon Appetit!

Merry Christmas !!!

JBinMN
12-25-2018, 07:41 PM
Baked bone in ham from wennemans meat market. Homade baked beans and homade potato salad and banana split cake.

Mouth waterin' there too! IMO, Kind of traditional "close to the Mason Dixon line" style too!
;)

Merry Christmas !!!

JBinMN
12-25-2018, 07:42 PM
We are going way non traditional, homemade pizzas and smoked wings!!

Can't usually go wrong if ya make it yourselves, and maybe it will become a "traditional" meal for you in the future!
;)

Merry Christmas !!!

JBinMN
12-25-2018, 07:44 PM
Just got home from our annual two-family Xmas 'Potluck Brunch'. Menu this year included: Fresh waffles, (genuine!) German Apfelstrudel, Biscuits & Gravy, Hopple Popple (another German classic), Monte Cristo Sandwiches, Bacon, (homemade) Sausage, and a fresh fruit platter along with an assortment of doughnuts/sweet rolls. Doubt if we'll be doing much in the way of an Xmas dinner this evening.

Bill

Well, it sounds like a good feed was had by all, regardless! No wonder you may not do anything else for Xmas dinner!
LOL

Merry Christmas !!!

375supermag
12-25-2018, 08:47 PM
Hi...
For Christmas Eve we had crab cakes, shrimp wrapped in bacon and steamed shrimp. Wife made crab dip for an appetizer.

Christmas day dinner was a standing rib roast with baked potatoes and steamed mixed vegetables.

Assorted home baked cookies, fudge and a cheese and bologna tray for snacking.

shooterg
12-25-2018, 09:36 PM
My FIL and I do most of the cooking to feed the family tribe at Thanksgiving and Christmas. This one included a spiral ham, a country ham, turkey breasts, 2 kinds of dressing, mashed potatoes , gravy, Momma's Baked Beans,green beans, mac and cheese, broccoli casserole(not me, I hate broccoli !), cranberry sauce with and without berries,sweet potato casserole, plenty of yeast rolls, sweet tea of course(not that I can have any !)
Deserts- pecan pie, chocolate pie, strawberry pie, chocolate cake, Christmas sugar cookies. We feed family and anybody they can bring that otherwise would not get a home-cooked holiday meal, some of 'em I never catch their name, too busy serving up vittles. Try to send anything left away in go plates . Kids table holds 8 and so does the kitchen table, but we run 'em through in shifts and it always works out. Have fed over 40, only 23 this Christmas.
Tomorrow I'm eating hot dogs ! Don't want to even walk by the ham and turkey aisle in the grocery store for a few months.

MT Gianni
12-25-2018, 09:50 PM
Only 5 of us. Ham, rolls, funeral potatoes, green bean casserole and mandarin orange/cottage cheese/jello salad. Blueberry & pineapple pies.

skeettx
12-25-2018, 10:02 PM
Spiral cut ham, turkey breast, raspberry sherbet, sweet potato pie, mashed potatoes, ambrosia, green beans, rolls, pecan pie, and sooooo much more,
Ready to POP

Merry Christmas

woodbutcher
12-25-2018, 10:09 PM
:-D:drinks::redneck: Just sitting around wondering what to fix for supper.Knock on door.There stands a friend and his wife.Come in says I.Merry Christmas.And there they stand with TWO large "meat lovers" pizzas from Papa Johns.Plus a 6 pack of ice cold beer to wash it down with.They said Merry Christmas.Enjoy a no cooking Christmas Day on us.
Wish there were more good folks like that in this old world.
Wishing all here a Merry Christmas and a healthy,happy,safe and prosperous New Year.And as Tiny Tim said God bless one and all.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

mac60
12-25-2018, 10:53 PM
Mrs. mac60 has outdone herself. Prime rib, a turkey breast cooked in the air fryer, ham, dressing, cream corn and baked beans. What a feast!

lightman
12-25-2018, 11:29 PM
Ours was yesterday but bone in smoked ham, dressing, mashed potatoes, giblet gravy, a couple of casseroles, and homemade yeast rolls slathered in butter. Chocolate pie, tea or coke. Theres a reason that I'm fat!

dverna
12-25-2018, 11:58 PM
Grand gesture & in the Christmas spirit to invite the fellow over! Good on ya'll for that!
:drinks: :)

Looks to me that your dinner is going to be Great! Have a wonderful time!

Merry Christmas !!!

JB,
It was a great time. The “old fellow” is only 3 years older than I am, but in bad shape. A hard life, cigarettes, and too much booze have wrecked a toll on the man. My fiancé is 12 years younger than I am and she makes me feel young. She is a real Christian and we agree that we need to look out for him.

He only went out for one smoke in the 5 hours we spent together and did not get drunk even though the beer and booze were free. Not a easy thing for an alcoholic to do. We watched a couple of Christmas movies and chatted and had a few laughs. He stayed well past his normal bed time.

It felt good to help a lonely soul on this special day.

clum553946
12-26-2018, 12:46 AM
Roast leg of lamb, roast chicken, dressing, yams, red potatoes, and some sort of green to be named later! Had Swedish pancakes bananas foster, Cowboy scrambled eggs, bacon, & sausage for breakfast and we have been snacking all day!

samari46
12-26-2018, 12:53 AM
Spent Christmas with me and bob my pit bull. Wife is off with our youngest daughter and our grandson. Two fried pork chops some mixed veggies and some cranberry sauce. When cooking for myself tend to keep it very simple as I am bu no means what passes for a cook. Frank

JBinMN
12-26-2018, 02:25 AM
Well, it looks like there was a bunch of replies while I was away and it would be some time in my replying to each, so let me just say that I read thru them all & thank you all for sharing your dinners with everyone!

Lots of interesting & appetizing eats mentioned & it looks like just about all had an enjoyable meal for Christmas. From Pizza & beer to some pretty elaborate dinners!

I want to thank all who shared their doins & once again, I hope ya'll had a Wonderful & Merry Christmas !!!

wildwilly
12-26-2018, 03:10 AM
Like we have every Christmas.....My wife bought a spiral cut ham, my MIL's vegetable soup, my BIL's chili (w/beans), being in Mexifornia, tamales (beef, chicken,cheese), and the best...my daughter's strawberry cheese cake. Merry Christmas & hopefully, a prosperous New Year.

snowwolfe
12-26-2018, 10:02 AM
I tried a couple of spiral cut hams and never liked them. The meat seems to pick up a weird texture because every slice is exposed to air.
But back to dinner. We had prime rib, mashed potatoes, sauteed broccoli and fresh corn and Hawaiian rolls. Wife made a 3 layer coconut cake for dessert. Entire meal was a success. Best part was I bought a prime rib larger than we needed so leftovers tonight.

Idaho45guy
12-27-2018, 12:41 AM
Went to my brother's house for Christmas Day dinner and he had bought a large turkey to soak in brine to thaw, smoke, and then bake.

He soaked it in brine inside, instead of in the garage where it was 36 degrees. He lifted the lid of the plastic bucket it was in and smelled that it had gone bad overnight.

So, no smoked turkey for us! But the rest of the meal was wonderful!