PDA

View Full Version : Lubrisizer

45Spades
10-06-2008, 09:06 PM
I'm new to boolit casting and haven't cast the first boolit yet. But I plan on starting this life long habit this winter. I have most of what I need to get started but I need a lubrisizer. I have a question about the star sizers. Do they size nose first or base first? What advantage does a star sizer have over an rcbs or a lyman? I don't mind spending a little more money for better quality long term. But I don't want to spend money just to spend money.

Opinions please.

Thanks

454PB
10-06-2008, 09:22 PM
Actually a Star can size either way, but most are set up to size nose first. By sizing nose first, you can use a single flat punch to do many different boolit designs, rather than having to use a punch designed to fit the nose of each particular boolit. Theoretically, you can use one punch to do several calibers, although I don't like the ring it leaves if the punch is too small.

The main advantage over Lyman or RCBS is speed, the Star is at least 3 to 5 times faster once it's properly adjusted. The main disadvantage is cost....both of the tool itself and the dies and punches.

870TC
10-06-2008, 09:34 PM
I'm new to casting as well, and have been lucky enough to borrow a RCBS, Lyman, and a Star. From this beginners stand point, the Lyman is easiest to use and adjust then the RCBS and lastly the Star. The Star is supposed to be fast and do a better job, but I have not got the hang of adjusting the punch depth, lube pressure or amount of heat.