PDA

View Full Version : Close bear encounter

Thumbcocker
12-23-2018, 08:24 PM
If you go to YouTube and search for "the scariest thing I ever woke up to" there is a 14 minute video of a young black bear sniffing around a tent. Filmed by a guy in the tent. I tried to post the link but couldn't.

NyFirefighter357
12-23-2018, 11:57 PM
https://youtu.be/WAQZK5qjlOc

nvbirdman
12-24-2018, 12:44 AM
My mother told me that when I was about one year old my parents went camping in Yosemite Nat. Park. I think it must have been one of the tent cabins they have there, but anyway they had me in a crib right at the door of the tent. My mother woke up in the middle of the night, looked at me and there was a bear staring at me in my crib.

gpidaho
12-24-2018, 01:09 AM
If he'd of yelled BOO! real loud that bear would have run like a scalded dog. LOL Gp

jsizemore
12-24-2018, 09:30 AM
Most critters will come to a distress call.

LUCKYDAWG13
12-24-2018, 09:51 AM
My older brother was mauled by a Black Bear in 1959 he was 9 years old at the time at a roadside park in Tennessee a lady held popcorn over his head to feed the Bear well something went wrong Bear almost took big brothers arm off well over a 100 stitches on shoulder neck face

popper
12-24-2018, 12:26 PM
As a kid tent camping in Tetons, bears would sniff the tent at nite. You could see their shadow by the parking lot lamps. Red River, forget to move the trash from under the camper bed to the bin. Kept awake most of the night, cougar was liking the empty bean can and bumping the bottom of the bed. Mostly they look for available food, not us.

poppy42
12-24-2018, 09:24 PM
Hey Bo Bo what do ya say we go get us some picnic baskets? I don’t know Yogi Mr. ranger will get mad at us!
I don’t know about that trust in the universe stuff . But what knuckleheads like that don’t understand is by letting that bear hang out near his camp all he’s doing is helping to eliminate that bears natural fear of humans . It’s all great that he’s nice and calm and got to take pictures for 15 minutes but what happens when the next campers happen to have someone that’s not so calm, like a child, a bear shows up and I think it’s cute and cuddly like Yogi. The bear gets scared mauls somebody. The that suffers is the bear. Who winds up getting put down. I hate jerks like me this. It’s a wild animal and it’s unpredictable! They should be respected and discouraged from any interaction with humans. I never go wandering around bear country without bear spray and an air horn at the very least!

abunaitoo
12-25-2018, 01:17 AM
It's funny that the media makes bears look so friendly and cuddly.
Gives those snowflakes a false sense of how dangerous they really are.
But that could be a good thing.
snowflakes will go into the woods thinking bears are cute, harmless, teddy bears.
Go up to them to pet them and ...............................
Another problem person taken care of

shooter93
12-25-2018, 08:09 PM
When I went to Zimbabwe it was pretty common to find lion prints around the compound in the morning as well as Buffalo and other animals. Any of them could walk in or through the area with no trouble at all and check out the occupants if they wanted. An amazing experience that I loved and I'd REALLY like to get back there.

FISH4BUGS
12-27-2018, 09:23 AM
Here in NH bears are becoming kind of a nuisance. If you leave trash out, or don't secure your trash bins/dumpsters, they are pretty good a tearing up everything while looking for food.
We have lost a number of bird feeders and had one on our back porch in the fall.
Don't bother them, and they won't bother you.....but I still carry a 44 mag when I hike the woods around here.

https://www.unionleader.com/news/animals/bears-in-nh-are-on-the-move-and-under-the/article_47f0733c-adc0-5f58-9443-e697f01b6192.html?block_id=664693

Hickok
12-27-2018, 02:01 PM
I have two old gentlemen friends who are very protective of me, Mr.'s Smith & Wesson.

They would not condone a bear being that close to me,.....I can't do a thing about it, that is just the way they are!!!:not listening: