PDA

View Full Version : Dietz Air Pilot Kerosine Lantern Sale. $9.99

jonp
12-23-2018, 11:50 AM
Good sale on these at Lehmans. https://www.lehmans.com/product/dietz-air-pilot-oil-lantern/

I got 2 last night for $9.99 with shipping $29.30 so about $15 each to your door. Only the blue ones and they are now out of stock but you can backorder them. Several others are on sale, too. For this price, I don't know how anyone can resist a backup light source.

As an aside, I'm trying a Mars no. 78 I picked up at a local lamp shop for $9.99 on sale and might go get another of the smaller one. I used lamp oil but now am using Extra Virgin Olive Oil to see how it runs. Sputters a little but runs ok on it. Good for a pinch.

Bookworm
12-23-2018, 12:08 PM
I use the Dietz Blizzard lamps when camping. They put out enough light, without the campsite looking like it's being lit with Klieg lights. The Blizzard is just a bit larger than the Air Pilot, but I don't know how the light output compares.

I converted over to Kero for all the lighting whilst camping. A more mellow glow, rather than the harsh output of a double-mantle pressure lantern.

FredBuddy
12-23-2018, 12:27 PM
The Lehmans store is about an hour from me.
I visited it once. It's full of human powered tools.
The wood burning cook stoves/ovens are
works of art.
I have a large cast iron lard rendering pot from the 1890's.
Saw a new one at Lehmans for only $1,100.00.
Guess I better sell mine.......

jonp
12-23-2018, 12:38 PM
The Lehmans store is about an hour from me.
I visited it once. It's full of human powered tools.
The wood burning cook stoves/ovens are
works of art.
I have a large cast iron lard rendering pot from the 1890's.
Saw a new one at Lehmans for only $1,100.00.
Guess I better sell mine.......

All the large ones I've seen have had lye soap made in them sometime in the past so not good for food anymore. I've tried to find a way to get that lye and soap out so they could be used again but have not run across a method.

M-Tecs
12-23-2018, 01:24 PM
Thanks for the heads up

Elkins45
12-23-2018, 01:29 PM
All the large ones I've seen have had lye soap made in them sometime in the past so not good for food anymore. I've tried to find a way to get that lye and soap out so they could be used again but have not run across a method.

I would think that boiling enough water would eventually lift out the soap. Then some diluted muriatic acid (hydrochloric) would neutralize any remaining lye.

jonp
12-23-2018, 03:05 PM
I'm going to buy a few more, put wrought iron hangers in the hallways of my house and hang one or two in each. Great decoration and emergency lighting always at hand.

jonp
12-23-2018, 03:15 PM
I saw the mason jar kits to turn them into oil lamps. I haul out of a glass plant and can get all of the rejected mason jars I want for free. I got several cases for my wife to use for canning. Off color or something and they pitch them. Anyone try one of the kits like Lehman's sells?

Finster101
12-23-2018, 03:20 PM
I just bought a couple for the pole barn/fire pit area. Nice soft lighting. Kerosene is not that readily available here though. Another plus for camp lighting mentioned earlier is no roar from pressurized mantle lanterns with these either.

jonp
12-25-2018, 07:50 AM
I just bought a couple for the pole barn/fire pit area. Nice soft lighting. Kerosene is not that readily available here though. Another plus for camp lighting mentioned earlier is no roar from pressurized mantle lanterns with these either.

Try extra virgin olive oil if you can't get kerosine. Every Dollar General I've been in, or WalMart for that matter, has lamp oil.

Remmy4477
12-25-2018, 09:15 AM
I have a few original Deitz little wizzards. Good lamps. Not sure about the new ones?
We use lots of kerosene around this house!

jlm223
12-25-2018, 10:24 AM
Thanks for the link, ordered two blue.

MaryB
12-25-2018, 07:21 PM
I have 2 Aladdin kerosene lamps... lot brighter for reading during power failures. One of these years I need to get 24 volt LED fixtures in all the rooms... then run off the solar battery

Houndog
12-25-2018, 09:02 PM
I've got two of the blue ones on the way to go with the two Norfolk a Western railroad lanterns I already have. It's good insurance when the power goes off for more than a few days. That hasn't happened here for awhile, but it's lookin like we're going to have a hum dinger of a winter from the way we're going.

10x
12-26-2018, 10:54 AM
Used kerosene lanterns to milk, feed and water livestock , and do farm chores in the 1950's and '60's.
And in the 1950s it was the least expensive lighting we could get.
We used these because we could not afford to buy batteries for a flashlight.
I hate the smell of kerosene - it smells like poverty

Ron in PA
12-26-2018, 11:05 AM
232733I can use a few more.

6.5 CM
12-26-2018, 06:18 PM
"China"

How sad !

gnostic
12-26-2018, 07:12 PM
The last time I used a lantern with an open flame was in the 1994 earthquake in LA. After lighting it up, it occured to me that I might blow myself up as there would most likely be leaking gas from broken lines. I was lucky and nothing happened, but it sure could have. Since then, I keep a battery powered lantern in the garage in case of an emergency.

Finster101
12-26-2018, 08:57 PM
I have plenty of batteries and a standby generator but there is something about the warm, flickering glow of a coal oil lamp. I have a few old lamps (not lanterns) from my Grandmother that are older than her so I'm not willing to take them to the barn to sit down and be knocked over. I can hang these lanterns and if they get damaged it's no biggie.

Thin Man
12-28-2018, 09:27 PM
We had a power outage a few years ago during warm weather. SWMBO started complaining that we had lost lights and everything else electrically powered since the electricity had gone out. I answered we could still use the gas range top for cooking so everything was not lost. How so, she asked. I explained that the gas flow was not interrupted. Just open the valve to a burner and hold a match to it. It will light and we can cook. A few minutes later she shouted back "It won't light!" I walked into the kitchen and asked her to show me what she did to light the burner. Like I suggested, she opened a burner valve, then took a match out of the box and held it over the burner. "See, it won't light up at all" she complained. I answered "First you have to strike the match before the burner will light..." She gave me the deer in the headlights stare and very softly said "oh...." It was String Bean who said it best: Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction." All of the above is a true story. Sad, but true.

dbosman
12-28-2018, 09:50 PM
You've all apparently had better luck with Deitz than I've had. I've never seen one that didn't have kerosene wicking or seeping out onto the base. I'll keep my Aladdins for in the house lighting. I've got a caboose model if the ground starts shaking.

jonp
12-29-2018, 01:10 PM
We had a power outage a few years ago during warm weather. SWMBO started complaining that we had lost lights and everything else electrically powered since the electricity had gone out. I answered we could still use the gas range top for cooking so everything was not lost. How so, she asked. I explained that the gas flow was not interrupted. Just open the valve to a burner and hold a match to it. It will light and we can cook. A few minutes later she shouted back "It won't light!" I walked into the kitchen and asked her to show me what she did to light the burner. Like I suggested, she opened a burner valve, then took a match out of the box and held it over the burner. "See, it won't light up at all" she complained. I answered "First you have to strike the match before the burner will light..." She gave me the deer in the headlights stare and very softly said "oh...." It was String Bean who said it best: Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction." All of the above is a true story. Sad, but true.

Sitting at the table one night I asked my better half "what day is the 4th of July on this year".....we all have our moments.

Finster101
12-29-2018, 07:02 PM
Sitting at the table one night I asked my better half "what day is the 4th of July on this year".....we all have our moments.

A reasonable question. I prefer them on Fridays or Mondays.

jonp
12-31-2018, 04:01 PM
Well, the Air Pilot's showed up already! Well packaged and most of twice the size of the Mars No 78 I have. Light blue and very well packaged. I am quite happy with them considering the $15 shipped each I paid for them and the quickness they showed up.

jlm223
01-17-2019, 09:04 PM
Got my lanterns yesterday, very nice, winter storm on the way, good to have them on hand if needed!

1911sw45
01-17-2019, 10:50 PM
Ya'll mind post a pic of your lanterns?

jlm223
01-19-2019, 10:16 AM
https://www.lehmans.com/product/dietz-air-pilot-oil-lantern/

This is the link to what I got.

Friends call me Pac
01-20-2019, 06:05 PM
I bought two for the house. The wife and I had gone out for lunch the day they arrived. When we came back home the box was on the steps but was blocking the door. She pushed the box aside so she could open the door and down the steps they tumbled! :shock: I told her the box was her Christmas present and it was very breakable. I brought the box inside and she opened it up. I was very happy to see they were packaged so well even my wife's tumbling them down the steps had no effect on them.

That night we lit one to see how well it would light the living room and it did a fine job. She's happy with the lanterns and so am I.

Winger Ed.
01-20-2019, 06:54 PM
I just bought a couple for the pole barn/fire pit area. Nice soft lighting. Kerosene is not that readily available here though. .

I've got a few old Dietz lanterns and always used grocery store charcoal lighter fluid in them.
During mosquito infestations, I use that citronella Tiki torch fluid.
If you're outside, and not bothered by the stink, Diesel fuel will work too.