PDA

View Full Version : New Marlin Bolt action

msp2640
10-06-2008, 04:28 PM
Anyone own or shot one of the new Marlin Bolt action rifles - I wish they were available in Stainless or atleast had matte bluing, but for the price its tough to complain. Just wondering if anyone had any personal feedback. Appreciate any info - I'm looking specifically at the camo version in 25-06. Thanks Bill

Blammer
10-06-2008, 05:08 PM
I have one in 30-06. Just got it recently.

Have not shot it yet.

It is a very nice gun for the money IMO.

The trigger is great! Metal work looks good, it fits the synthetic stock nicely, the recoil rubber pad is thick and practical!

Overall I really like it!

I have not shot it yet because I'm really wanting to turn it into a 35 whelen... :)

and they say 'don't shoot the doner gun, cause then you'll never change it.'

well I may just break down and shoot it.

It came with scope bases to mount on it. Weaver ones.

msp2640
10-06-2008, 05:48 PM
I read few articles about them, but I can never really accept the writer's opinions, since most of the guns reviewed are usually also advertisers in the publications. Good to hear feedback from an owner. I have yet to get my hands on one in any of the local stores, so I'm relying on the good folks hear before placing an order thru a local dealer. Thanks again - Bill

MT Gianni
10-06-2008, 10:45 PM
I have one in 06. It will not outshoot the old Savage but does decent work. I am embarassed to say I worked up a load with 165 gr hornadys and it has never seen lead as I have another 06 for that. If I were to do it agaain on the cheap I would try a Stevens 200 only because the trigger is easier to upgrade.

Buckshot
10-07-2008, 12:42 AM
................First one I saw was on a magazine cover and I thought I was looking at a Savage. Read the article and it said they took (IIRC) a couple years in development to get what they wanted. Surprised me all to heck as it looked like they took a Savage and put their name on it :-)

..................Buckshot

VTDW
10-07-2008, 12:17 PM
There is a forum for them at Marlinowners. Here is the link and lots of great information.

http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php?board=78.0

Most folks seem to like them really well and are reporting out of the box sub MOA. I am leaning toward a .270 myself for my first bolt action rifle.

Dave

msp2640
10-07-2008, 12:56 PM
Great link - didn't know about that site - Thanks Bill

VTDW
10-07-2008, 05:30 PM
Great link - didn't know about that site - Thanks Bill

We have lots of members here that belong at MO as well and vice/versa. Cast boolit shooters have quite a bit in common with leverguners.:drinks:

Dave

pumpguy
10-07-2008, 10:36 PM
We have lots of members here that belong at MO as well and vice/versa. Cast boolit shooters have quite a bit in common with leverguners.:drinks:

Dave

+1 to that. Lots of great guys over there with a wealth of knowledge about all things Marlin. Very polite. Reminds me of being here.:-D

10-08-2008, 11:54 AM
Anyone know any of the Mods over at Marlinowners? I can't get in because my password expired or became inactive. I'd like to get back in, but I can't seem to get an e-mail to the mod or site owner.

Josh

BABore
10-08-2008, 02:43 PM
Anyone know any of the Mods over at Marlinowners? I can't get in because my password expired or became inactive. I'd like to get back in, but I can't seem to get an e-mail to the mod or site owner.

Josh

Send a PM to VDTW on this site and a few posts above on this thread. He's the owner of the MO site.

VTDW
10-08-2008, 04:12 PM
+1 to that. Lots of great guys over there with a wealth of knowledge about all things Marlin. Very polite. Reminds me of being here.:-D

We are similar indeed. We have a very polite membership for sure but we watch close just like Admin has to do here as well because everyone has a bad day on occasion and of course, there are troublemakers everywhere. It is great to have a place to get questions answered about casting, tools and equipment as well as having the opportunity to share knowledge. Cast Boolits is a favored site at MO and we plagerize (but give reference) from this site on occasion.

Josh, like BA said, drop me an e-mail and we will get you set back up.

Dave

pdawg_shooter
10-09-2008, 12:50 PM
Got my new Rifle mag last night. They reviewed it and said it was a good deal. 3006 tested, 1 to 1.5 groups and no malfunctions.