PDA

View Full Version : Boolit weight variation

bikerbeans
12-22-2018, 12:16 AM
I have a levergun that i cast 41 cal WNFB boolits and launch at approx. 1,700 fps. This Glenfield will consistently put 3 shots into 1.5" at 100 yards. I use it for whitetail deer at max 100 yards, my limit not the guns.

I have been weighing each boolit before lubing and only use boolits that weigh 259 grains +/- 0.5 grains. This tolerance results in a scrap rate of 40 to 60 percent. Considering my 100 yard limit do you think my weight tolerance is ok, too big or to small? If i used +/- 2 grains my scrap rate would be about 5%.

BB

John Boy
12-22-2018, 12:26 AM
Bullet weight of several grains difference will not effect group sizes. At a longer distance - Yes

Hick
12-22-2018, 12:47 AM
You might keep in mind that when the bullet mold heats and cools slightly the size of the mold changes as well (not much-- but enough)-- so it's pretty much impossible for the weights of your bullets to stay too close together anyway. I gave up on weighing and rejecting bullets and didn't notice any worsening of accuracy. At least, the bullets were still more accurate than my eyes.

Mitch
12-22-2018, 12:51 AM
I would try them.But the answer is yes to tight for hunting bullets.At that scrap rate you should be getting better at casin that mold.Or it is a multi cavity mold and all the cavitys are not the same.

country gent
12-22-2018, 01:05 AM
1% +/- ( what most recommend) on a 259 grn bullet is 2.56 grns so your in that range. I would open up the range some. Another thing just to ease your mind is load 2 10 shot groups 1 with bullets in the .5 grn range and 10 in the with bullets at the extreme +- 2 grns and shoot a couple groups and see what they do. Let the rifle tell you what it wants.
40%-60% scrap is rough. Work on casting technique some pre heat mould experiment with pouring, cadence and sprue size.
I normally cast bullets in the 360 grn to 550 grn and ladle pouring with a over fill pour pre heating the mould to slightly to warm I hold under 1 grn. THe first 10 pours go back in the pot and from then they are very good. I sort more for visual defects than weight.

Czech_too
12-22-2018, 04:17 AM
IMO open up the weight variation to 1gr., no more than 1.5
For .22 caliber I limit myself to .5% variation of the average weight. My thinking is that the variation is going to be more noticeable in a 33-55 grainer than it would be a 150+
Larger calibers I give a good visual to and let it go at that.

GregLaROCHE
12-22-2018, 05:02 AM
I class my boolits +/-.5 grs, but don’t reject others. I just put them with others of the same +/-.5grs. I end up with the middle weight and two groups off one grn. apart on each side. I usually end up with 500 total.

I’m not shooting competition, except with myself and with open sights. My boolits are in the 350-500 grs. range too.