PDA

View Full Version : RCBS vs Lyman size dies?

yondering
10-06-2008, 12:43 PM
I thought I'd read somewhere here about the differences between Lyman and RCBS lube/size dies, but can't find it now. I know they are interchangeable, but does one do a better job of guiding the boolit straight than the other? Other than the price, is there any real difference?

Lonestar22
10-06-2008, 04:12 PM
I use both Lyman and RCBS, and have found neither better than the other. I have read posts that reported issues with Lyman Sizing dies due to the double row of lube holes. I don't recall what the problems were, so maybe someone else can reply on that. I also remember someone saying they inserted BB's into one row of holes, and that fixed the problem. Someone else needs to pick up on this.
Again, I use both brands in stock form, and experienced no problems.

wiljen
10-06-2008, 04:21 PM
I like the RCBS dies for bullets like the 200gr-45-SWC with a shallow base and single lube groove. When using Lyman dies with that style boolit, I plug the additional sets of holes with #5 shot. If the additional holes are not plugged, the base gets as much lube as the groove even with the proper depth adjustment when using a lyman die.

badgeredd
10-06-2008, 06:22 PM
I like the RCBS dies for bullets like the 200gr-45-SWC with a shallow base and single lube groove. When using Lyman dies with that style boolit, I plug the additional sets of holes with #5 shot. If the additional holes are not plugged, the base gets as much lube as the groove even with the proper depth adjustment when using a lyman die.

AH_HAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...now I know what to do about the problem I though only I had. I read something a few months ago about this but it just didn't clik in my little brain til now. Thanks Will

crowbeaner
10-06-2008, 07:00 PM
Use a styrofoam washer under the boolit base and you won't have the problem of shoving small shot in the top holes. I use the Lyman dies for most, but I have some RCBS depending on the diameter. The RCBS dies have more taper at the top allowing bigger boolits to be sized to that diameter. The Lymans are closer to a straight die; some will shave the base if too big to start with.

yondering
10-06-2008, 07:26 PM
The RCBS dies have more taper at the top allowing bigger boolits to be sized to that diameter. The Lymans are closer to a straight die; some will shave the base if too big to start with.

That's what I thought I'd read somewhere, thanks.