PDA

View Full Version : Scam call

GOPHER SLAYER
12-21-2018, 04:05 PM
I received a phone call today from someone who called himself officer Gibbons. He said he was calling to tell me about a legal action being taken against my Social Security # and for more information call this number. I have no idea what the scam is or how it works but the area code for the # I was to call is in I Illinois. Anyone else got such a call?

Omega
12-21-2018, 04:16 PM
I received a phone call today from someone who called himself officer Gibbons. He said he was calling to tell me about a legal action being taken against my Social Security # and for more information call this number. I have no idea what the scam is or how it works but the area code for the # I was to call is in I Illinois. Anyone else got such a call?

Careful, it's probably a Democratic fundraiser.

iomskp
12-21-2018, 05:02 PM
Omega you may be right they have to get enough money to run Hillary again.

mold maker
12-21-2018, 05:06 PM
I don't remember the callers name, but I've gotten three calls in the last two days, with the same line. Be cautious, they come in all flavors.

JoeJames
12-21-2018, 05:22 PM
Small county here in Arkansas. Some idjit had the brass to call a few folks here claiming to be so & so, a county deputy, and demanding money. Shoot, everyone here knows all the deputies. That dog did not hunt.

sparkyv
12-21-2018, 06:05 PM
Legal actions are served in writing...or in person! :shock: ...not via phone call. Scam for sure.

rancher1913
12-21-2018, 06:09 PM
got the same call. any recorded call like that is fake and a scam.

justashooter
12-21-2018, 06:23 PM
Legal actions are served in writing...or in person! :shock: ...not via phone call. Scam for sure.

a social security number is not a legal entity, so not legal action can be taken against one. sounds like he is gonna ask what your name and number is so that he can "clear this matter up". don't respond.

Rick Hodges
12-21-2018, 08:37 PM
I have got a couple of calls from a taped voice sounding like a sinister version of Lily Tomlin's Phone Company Lady, telling me that due to suspicious activity they would be "suspending my social security number and all my social benefits". I should press 1 for more information....I laughed hung up and blocked...they call back on another number but the same message a few hours later...and again today.

I can see how some might panic. I am sure it is a scam to get SSN's.

Tom W.
12-21-2018, 08:40 PM
I've gotten to the point that if I don't recognize the number and don't get a voicemail I just ignore it.....

Mal Paso
12-21-2018, 08:57 PM
I get Cathy in Card Services every few weeks. The IRS called a couple times threating jail, it's one of the biggest scams. The best is Russians claiming to be from Windows. They have a "boiler room" that sounds like a party.

Mr_Sheesh
12-21-2018, 10:21 PM
I think lately my phone calls have been about 90% scam baloney; It's past getting annoying, LONG past. I've had Social Security fraud calls, supposedly Microsoft "refund" scams, supposedly Microsoft "virus and malware" being sent through MS's servers (which is NOT the way the 'net works, it's a mesh network...) and the always stupidly amusing "This is Nancy at your credit card company" scam BS... Among others. I detest those so much. But, unfortunately, I can't reach through the phone to throttle these jerks...

DocSavage
12-21-2018, 10:24 PM
I'm still waiting for the "IRS" and the sheriff's deputies on my 2 warrants to arrive

nvbirdman
12-21-2018, 10:27 PM
I get Cathy in Card Services too. She says she is going to lower my interest rate. Since I always pay my bill in full, my interest rate is effectively zero. If they can lower it beyond that, they will be paying me.

CLAYPOOL
12-21-2018, 11:42 PM
HEY thats my money...! Send in care of "CLAYPOOL" and I will personally get those charges dropped. P.S. The dogs name is ROO - ROO and he likes treats .. that will get your cases front lined in court.

MrWolf
12-22-2018, 11:36 AM
I still get the ones where my loan for $250,000 has been approved and they just need more info....

rbuck351
12-22-2018, 12:52 PM
[I] get two different ones. One says my student loan has been forgiven. I'm 70 and never had a student loan in my life. The other wants to extend my cars warranty. My newest car is a 2001 with 200,000+ miles. So, being retired I have the time to waste their time so I answer and push the button to talk with a rep. When they ask for my name, I ask who they called because I am the one THEY just called. When they ask about extending my car warranty, I ask which one as I have three. I got instant hang up on that one. I figure if I have to dig my phone out of my pocket to answer, I am going to waste a bit of their time. I never give my name or any numbers to anyone that calls me. I figure it's better to give a fake number and name and let them waste more time finding out I scammed them.

Murphy
12-22-2018, 01:16 PM
The sad thing is not just the ones that fall for it, but other victims as well.

A lot of medical folks (my cardiologist being one) hide their number. I think they're worried about the HIPAA rules and don't want to risk anything. I too, have pretty much stopped accepting calls from numbers I don't recognize. I don't know anyone in Jamaica, British Columbia...etc. I guess it's a good thing I felt lucky that day and answered my cardiologists call or I would have missed an appointment made 6 months prior.

Hopefully, the phone companies will step in and do something. We are definitely in need of a new DO NOT CALL list.

Murphy

Rick Hodges
12-22-2018, 01:25 PM
The sad thing is not just the ones that fall for it, but other victims as well.

A lot of medical folks (my cardiologist being one) hide their number. I think they're worried about the HIPAA rules and don't want to risk anything. I too, have pretty much stopped accepting calls from numbers I don't recognize. I don't know anyone in Jamaica, British Columbia...etc. I guess it's a good thing I felt lucky that day and answered my cardiologists call or I would have missed an appointment made 6 months prior.

Hopefully, the phone companies will step in and do something. We are definitely in need of a new DO NOT CALL list.

Murphy

There is nothing wrong with the current do not call list...we just need someone to put some teeth into violations. It is labor intensive and expensive but serious fines, and jail time for chronic abusers just might have a deterrent effect. If it wasn't profitable they wouldn't be doing it.

MUSTANG
12-22-2018, 01:25 PM
A stupid Question/s (Yeah, that might mean I am Stupid - But):

Why do we never hear of any States or the Federal Government making arrests associated with the Illegal Criminal acts?

Why do we never hear of any State or Federal (i.e. FCC) actions that resulted in one of these operations being detected and shut down?

(P.S. Just wrote the White House and asked the same Question and mentioned that the President, Justice Department, and FCC have the job in this area, organizations all ready in place to do something, and the funding - asked when they are going to take action.)

Rick Hodges
12-22-2018, 01:31 PM

Why do we never hear of any States or the Federal Government making arrests associated with the Illegal Criminal acts?

Why do we never hear of any State or Federal (i.e. FCC) actions that resulted in one of these operations being detected and shut down?

It just isn't a priority. I did hear of the Indian's taking down some 70 persons for the "IRS is coming to get you" scam a couple of years ago...but there have been others to fill in the vacuum. I think our authorities put pressure on the Indians.....but there is not enough of it for sure.

Rufus Krile
12-22-2018, 01:38 PM
Got a call from "Mike" with a heavy Indian accent informing me that I was eligible for help in sorting out my MS Windows problems... I interrupted him to identify myself as "Rajinesh Kuranjee" and that I had called him with some good news about his credit card interest rate... "Mike" being somewhat slow out of the gate, tried to explain that it was HE who called me and that, apparently, I wasn't playing fair. It took in excess of 10 minutes for him to get his head around the idea that this had all gone terribly wrong and it MUST be some phone company screwup linking one boiler room to another. Then I broke the news to him about having a Mac instead of a PC and, subsequently, no MS Windows problem to solve. He hung up calling me the vilest names he could think of... proving he is an amateur at that, too.

woodbutcher
12-22-2018, 02:46 PM
:lol:[smilie=b: Just love it when I get the"lower your credit card interest rate"call.Have`nt had one of those things in 50 years.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

jimlj
12-22-2018, 03:15 PM
Guess what?? I (because I'm a valued customer who has stayed at one of their resorts in the past) qualify for a 3 day 2 night stay for free!!!! I'll bet YOU aren't special like I am. Also, because I (or someone in my household) has had chronic pain in the past, the "medical center" is offering a special deal just for ME!!! Woo HOO!!

Houndog
12-22-2018, 03:41 PM
I had one particularly annoying phone scammer calling at least 3 times a day until I answered his call "Federal Communications Commission fraud division how can I direct your call?" That was the end of his calls!

Handloader109
12-22-2018, 06:22 PM
Just tell everyone you know that there are a bunch of scams out there. My mom has had a bunch, I get all of the above weekly. Mom actually had guy call and pretend to be her grandson.... who needed bail money be careful

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

bdicki
12-22-2018, 07:08 PM
I got a call telling me I won a vacation to a central Florida theme park.

Taylor
12-23-2018, 08:31 AM
Haji keeps trying to sell me windows. So one day I decided to play.

-How many windows do you need?
-Just 1?
--Yes
- Are you the owner of the house?
--No, I'm just an inmate here.
-click-

jonp
12-23-2018, 08:58 AM
We get several types. Credit card, student loans, someone from several numbers in our home state looking for people (not sure how that one works as she didn't answer), threatening guy saying there was a subpoena for my arrest (I think that's a little backwards, a subpoena compels you to appear in court not be arrested. That would be an arrest warrant and I doubt they would call most of the time but I did have the Sheriffs Office call me once and tell me there was one against me and want me to come straighten it out).

Now I just don't answer the call unless I recognize it.

Wag
12-23-2018, 11:31 AM
Most of those have been going around for a long time. There is no doubt they work (and the people are gullible) otherwise, they wouldn't keep running the scams.

The other day, I got a new one, claiming to be from a church of some kind. Pretty vile, if you ask me, to use the name of a church or a god to run a scam on people. Ugh.

--Wag--

Goatwhiskers
12-23-2018, 01:43 PM
Well, shoot, now I'm feeling all depressed. Made me realize I haven't gotten one in a week. GW edit: at least I've never gotten one after about 8pm.

alamogunr
12-23-2018, 03:23 PM
I got one the other day that I didn't answer so they left a voice mail. The woman said if I didn't return the call(she left a phone #) they would "get" my social(whatever that is) and freeze my checking account.

My biggest problem right now is email spam. My email program, Thunderbird, catches most of it and calls it "junk" and puts it in a different place. It has increased greatly in the last couple of weeks. I downloaded 18 emails the other day and 15 of them went to junk.

After the 1st of the year I'm going to get my "computer guy" to look into it. I've already had one site message me that my email was on a spam list.

As far as Card Services goes, Cathy must have gotten the word from Rachel that I'm not interested.

6.5 CM
12-23-2018, 06:58 PM
Well worth it to have called ID and Voice Mail and NEVER pick up the phone.

I used to love stringing along the "Windows" guy for laughs. I'd let him run on until he asked what OS I had. I'd say "Tiger" (yes it was years ago) and there would be silence followed by dial tone.

nicholst55
12-23-2018, 07:55 PM
We got a cold call at the front door right before Thanksgiving. We were visiting my son in Maryland, and I was downstairs napping when this clown rang the doorbell. My wife answered (son and DIL were at work) the door, and he asked if she was Jennifer (my DIL). 'No. What do you want?' I'm Julio, from the IRS. I need to speak with Andy (son) or Jennifer about a very serious tax matter. 'Tell me what the issue is, and I'll contact them.' I can't discuss it with anyone except them. 'Well, if you won't tell me what you want, perhaps you should leave.' He left a business card - a very legitimate-appearing business card - with the actual address of the Baltimore IRS office on it (and I'm guessing a non-legitimate phone number), and said that either Andy or Jennifer need to contact him immediately. Or else!

The IRS doesn't send people around ringing doorbells, especially during the middle of the day, when the only people home are elderly, retired (and hopefully gullible) folks. I only wish that I had answered the door, because the cops just might have gotten there in time to arrest this scam artist!

6.5 CM
12-24-2018, 05:22 PM
The solution:

firefly1957
12-24-2018, 05:49 PM
I do not even listen to most phone calls anymore so many scams i just hang up if it is not someone i know!

Dinny
12-25-2018, 01:52 PM
I got the same calls as the OP. I quickly looked the number up using a reverse lookup online service. It came up as fraud/spam. Game on! I kept them on the line for 14 minutes while I explained all the problems I've had in my entire life. I was bored at work and thought they would have a less productive day too. Afterwards I called the SS Administration. Their IG has an ongoing investigation and appreciate any details you can share.

OT: Taylor - I was once a Widowmaker too.

Thanks, Dinny

Idz
12-25-2018, 02:44 PM
Long ago I proposed to a Congressman that the easy fix would be to add a phone feature so the consumer could hit a number (e.g. *777) and the telemarketer would be backcharged $1 for calling you. The unsolicited calls would shut down pretty fast.

bob208
12-25-2018, 04:44 PM
it has been 2 days since the last scam call. then I found out what happened. I forgot to charge my phone.

Tripplebeards
12-25-2018, 10:36 PM
I received the same call three times in the last couple weeks. The last one said if didn't call them back the local police department would be notified and come to arrest me. I reported them to the local PD and was given a number to the consumer services protection line. Consumer services were well aware of this scam and said the calls were comming from over seas and they change their number as fast as its given to them. I called the number back twice and won't type what I said to them.

LUCKYDAWG13
12-25-2018, 10:46 PM
When i get scam calls I just say in a low voice It's done but there is blood every were and hang up

BrassMagnet
12-25-2018, 10:53 PM
Guess what?? I (because I'm a valued customer who has stayed at one of their resorts in the past) qualify for a 3 day 2 night stay for free!!!! I'll bet YOU aren't special like I am. Also, because I (or someone in my household) has had chronic pain in the past, the "medical center" is offering a special deal just for ME!!! Woo HOO!!

You must be my twin!
I get them on my cell, my work cell, and my work desk phone!
Ain't I special?

Gator 45/70
06-10-2021, 11:30 AM
Bump, Just got the phone call about fraudulent activity from the s.security office (lol) and to press 1 to speak too an agent.
Shysters' are still out there men so be careful.

JoeJames
06-10-2021, 12:08 PM
Got one. Usually get about 3 or 4 a day. Anyhow that time I hit the number to speak to a representative about an extended vehicle warranty. Sounded like a young'un in Pakistan or India. I asked him: "Do you really think that by now there is anyone left in the United States who does not know this is a complete scam?" Click.

Krag 1901
06-10-2021, 12:36 PM
I got a call from a guy that said he was CEO of Publishers Clearing House and he was calling to find out why I had not contacted them about my winning the $35 Million Sweepstakes, $7,000 a month and an a new Mercedes?
I asked him to call back and then told him that our mailman had reported some mail stolen from his truck, maybe their letter was in that lot?
Over the next few days he finally said that I needed to pay $2500 some state taxes to get the money released. Just take the money to Chase bank and deposit it in an account number.
I told him I did and waited, He called back and said it never came thru. I professed wonder that Chase would **** over him and finally he gave me a name and address in New York to send the check. I reported to the CHase bank the account number they were using and never heard from them.
Now all this time I had been reporting this scam to the Consumer Affairs filing a six reports of the scam as it developed, phone numbers and even the address of the drop.
Never did I get a response and not even the FBI responded or the California Consumer Affairs, so I reported the mail fraud to the Postal Inspectors office. and Sent a note to the Address telling them to pack a toothbrush. Got the return receipt for the letter with no signature of who signed for the note.

I wrote my Congressman and and ask him to review the six reports by number I had sent to the friendly feds and got no response. He wrote back that he needed a signed fax authorization to get the reports from the feds.

I just let it drop there because I knew the Government had no interest in pursuing such a small crime that did not touch anyone of importance.
If the crime does not get anyone's face on TV or in the headlines, you are on your own.

kevin c
06-10-2021, 01:11 PM
I believe I almost got sucked in just now.

My health insurance sends me text reminders on my phone, so I didn't get suspicious right away when I got a robocall, supposedly from them, asking if I'd signed up for Medicare (eligible soon, and I have also gotten legit emails from my insurance about the same). The robocall offered the option of getting called with more info. Today that call came, from somebody with a very strong south Asian accent who said his name was "Kevin", who, from the background chatter was clearly working in a boiler room and with a spoofed caller ID from a small coastal residential community close to my home that has, I believe, a single restaurant and no other businesses. He said he was with an insurance bureau and wanted to sell me supplemental insurance. I hung up on him.

ETA:

My insurance says it wasn't them. They did say they use "automated calling systems" for some member communications, but in the live call what I heard is not the script format representatives are required to follow.

Tricky S*Bs...

starnbar
06-10-2021, 01:13 PM
Sadly that is the truth an inlaw of ours lost 35 thousand in life savings to a scam nothing was ever brought to court.

trebor44
06-10-2021, 01:36 PM
Caller ID is your friend, if you don't have it, GET IT and don't answer an unknown caller, wait for their "message" and proceed accordingly. Even giving them 'grief' is a win for them, since they now have a sale-able piece of data. If it is a scammer and you answer, you LOSE!

Budzilla 19
06-10-2021, 02:18 PM
Got the Social security scam today about the arrest warrant, Yada,yada,yada. Laughed as I hung up the phone. Do those stupid people, for want of a better word, so I don’t get a reprimand from the mods, really think anybody believes their bs?? Nice try, morons!!

alamogunr
06-10-2021, 02:39 PM
I got the Social Security call yesterday. As usual, I let them talk until they got to the point of wanting some information. I cut them off and blocked that number. I have no doubt they will just try using another number. That is what the automobile warranty callers do.

tommag
06-11-2021, 02:23 AM
I got a call recently about a vacation trip I signed up for last year. The heavily accented voice asked me if I remembered it? I explained to him that in my old age I'm having great difficulty remembering things that didn't happen. Click.

MrWolf
06-11-2021, 07:42 AM
I usually never answer a number I do not know or those "private" callers. For whatever reason I just happened to have picked up the phone without thinking and it was a private number. Turned out to be doctor's office. When I commented about the private number, yea they get that a lot and are not even allowed to leave a message. Duh.

fatnhappy
06-11-2021, 09:40 AM

(P.S. Just wrote the White House and asked the same Question and mentioned that the President, Justice Department, and FCC have the job in this area, organizations all ready in place to do something, and the funding - asked when they are going to take action.)

We just had 1 such arrest locally. A pair of upstanding Florida residents who are here were/are running the "bail money/attorney" scam. One of our elderly called the sheriff and the set up a sting for the "couriers."

The popped the guy trying to collect payment and his driver. Of course in NY they were given the obligatory hugs, cookies and warm milk all bible study choir boys receive before being released without bail.

The latest one locally:

rochester-police-warn-of-text-scam-involving-pictures-of-violent-content (https://www.whec.com/news/rochester-police-warn-of-text-scam-involving-pictures-of-violent-content/6135516/)

Bmi48219
06-11-2021, 10:14 AM
My SS call was an “officer” from some joint (IRS, SS & FBI) office. Theyall wanted a piece of me. The “Officer” had a distinctly Caribbean accent and a CT area code. I jerked her around for a while with questions about how I could become an FBI agent, why did they double my tax refund, where should I send the extra refund back to, how much she earned, a good recipe for jambalaya. She got really irritated. Started swearing so I forgave her. She hung up when I tried to report the neighbor’s backyard still. The wife overheard my side of conversation and the “officer” yelling. She said she never realized I had that effect on other women too.

FISH4BUGS
06-11-2021, 01:03 PM

I get these all the time. Scam. plain and simple.
If I am bored I will play along.

wv109323
06-11-2021, 01:31 PM
I just won 5.5 million dollars.

MUSTANG
06-11-2021, 07:25 PM
Yesterday Publishers Clearing House told me I won a new car and some money!