PDA

View Full Version : Lee 310

Tom W.
10-06-2008, 02:43 AM
I got to get out to the woods Sunday afternoon, and took a box of boolits I loaded up from my mold that I got from VilliageIdjit. A 310 grain Lee with 19 grains of H110. As I was mostly just plinking, I didn't really shoot for groups or anything, just shot up a few outdated salad dressing bottles (Plastic, lest the tree huggers become enraged) and an old refrigerator that was left in my back yard by my wife's step-daughter. The load seemed to shoot about a foot to the left at first, but after a sight adjustment it all came together. about 2 inches high. I was shooting offhand and just was doing so for S & G, but was happy with what I saw. I'll have to get to the range for serious sighting, but as it was it was good. I knew that if I didn't get out and burn some powder I'd soon go nuts...

BTW, my wife got her first CCW permit in the mail Saturday. She's 71 and never owned a firearm in her life! She went with me and had a ball shooting my 22/45....

EMC45
10-06-2008, 07:33 AM
How's that 310 with 19gr 2400? Brutal recoil? I have the 240gr Lee GC and have thought about getting the 310.

IcerUSA
10-06-2008, 08:03 AM
I like the 310 for a hunting boolit , shoots good out of the SBH .

Keith

44man
10-06-2008, 08:34 AM
In the SBH, slowly move up to 21.5 gr's of H110. Much better accuracy.

Tom W.
10-06-2008, 01:17 PM
I'm shooting a SRH, and to me, recoil wasn't any worse than shooting 245 grain cast bullets with 22 grains of H110. I shot all 50 rounds and wasn't in any pain. I don't think the recoil was brutal at all. I'll be working up a bit with H110 and maybe a load of 2400.
It was a lot of fun!!!

When I went to clean the revolver, I didn't see any traces of leading, either.

44man
10-06-2008, 02:01 PM
Tom, 19 gr's is the starting load. As you work up, groups will tighten and if you go a little over, groups will slowly start to open. With H110, maybe even 22 gr's will be better. I use 296.
Also, after you find the tightest groups, switch to a Fed 150 primer to see what happens.
We have shot a ton of 1/2" groups at 50 yd's with the SRH and I shot pop cans at 200 yd's with it.
If you are using LLA snot, then try Felix lube. I am sure you will see a large improvement.
I seat the boolit in the lower crimp groove too.
The Lee boolit is amazing.

Dale53
10-06-2008, 07:42 PM

Thank you, 44man. Since Frank Siefer and I designed that bullet, many have been VERY pleased with it.

Dale53

TCLouis
10-06-2008, 10:19 PM
I have posted before that this is the most accurate boolit I have shot at 50 yards out of my SRH. 18.5 WC820 (old . . . OLD batch comparable to H110) and it is as good or better than any 25 yard group from that gun. I went up to 21.5 or 22.0 but nothing matched the accuracy of the 18.5. It is just moseying along out there, but 310 grains of lead moseying along is likely to at least scuff the hair or break the skin on todays armor plated deer or other critters.

SBH, Oh yeah one really know when that load goes off . . . NOT really fun.

I just wish the nose was 10 thousands smaller so I could load to bottom crimp groove

GP100man
10-06-2008, 11:17 PM
i love this boolit & my redhawk will testify of it also !

gc`ed carnauba red lube WWmag primer& all the imr4227 that my hand can stand in a new starline case !
a 1x4 burris scope!
it turns into a 2 holer everytime , one hole in & one hole goin out , man what an exit!!!!!

GP100man :cbpour:

Tom W.
10-07-2008, 01:47 PM
When I run the green stuff out of my lubrisizer i'll be using the carnauba red exclusively. After I use up all of my CCI primers, I'll be going with the Federals. I know what a difference the match primers made with my 7mm rem mag...

Bob Krack
10-08-2008, 12:32 AM
I'll have to get to the range for serious sighting, but as it was it was good. I knew that if I didn't get out and burn some powder I'd soon go nuts...
Howdy Tom,

Mayhaps I could talk you into loading a cylinder full without gaschecks just for giggles and see what a difference there is between GC and gc-unchecked with the exact same load?

I am pretty certain I know how you feel about it ahead of time, but I have no way of testing and would really like to have the knowledge from someone I know and can talk to on the phone if needed.

Thanks a brazzilion, (private joke, will tell ya sometime)

Vic

454PB
10-08-2008, 12:41 AM
Lee makes the same boolit in .452", and it is every bit as good!

Tom W.
10-08-2008, 04:21 AM
Don't think that I haven't had my eye on it, but I'm really fond of my RCBS 270 gr SAA mold. 10 grains of Herco is a mighty stout load...

Vic, I'll do as you requested, but at the range so I'll have a good rest. I dunno when, however, but the next time I get out there....

Bob Krack
10-08-2008, 09:36 AM
Don't think that I haven't had my eye on it, but I'm really fond of my RCBS 270 gr SAA mold. 10 grains of Herco is a mighty stout load...

Vic, I'll do as you requested, but at the range so I'll have a good rest. I dunno when, however, but the next time I get out there....

Thanks Tom,

I din't realize til I looked at your profile - I am 10 years your senior .... to the day.

I have the Lee C452-300-RF mould, I'll be glad to send you a few samples for ya to try and if ya like'm I'll loan you my mould or trade (short term) for something else.

Vic

NHlever
10-08-2008, 11:32 AM
I've used the .452 version in both a 4 5/8" Blackhawk, and a 24" barreled Marlin Cowboy. I did have some stabilitiy problems out of the Blackhawk at longer ranges, but not from the longer barrel. It's an awesome bullet for sure. Though both friends, and I hunted with it, none of us have taken any game with it yet. Near maximum loads of H-110 worked best for me.

hedgehorn
10-12-2008, 10:56 PM
I just cast and sized a hundred of these this saturday. I have been looking for load data. Mine weigh closer to 320 with my alloy. I would like to try a middle of the road load first. I see on Hogdon's web site that HS-6 13 to 14 grains should yield between 1100 and 1200 FPS.
What do you guys think about HS-6?

TCLouis
10-12-2008, 11:12 PM
Hedgehorn

It has always been my opinion to shoot anything that you can find load data for and let the target tell you what ya got!

I have some HS-7 that I want to try.

I cast and sized 150 the other night and am just waiting for them to normalize.

I can honestly say it is sure hard to go back to a two cavity mold when I want to run lead!

hedgehorn
10-12-2008, 11:22 PM
Yes it is hard to go back to a two cavity mold. I haven't had the best luck with the two cavity molds. The two halves dont care to align by themselves. I have this one and a 148 grain .358 soup can that you have to give one side a little tap to get them to re-align while closing thee handles. It throws nice boolits when its aligned properly but deffinately not as well machined as the 6 bangers that I have used to this date. I hope these shoot well. I will try the HS-6 and see what happens. :o

Tom W.
10-13-2008, 12:00 AM
I finally got to cast some boolits from the Ranch Dog mold that I ordered, and in my haste I didn't clean it out too well. The boolits were wrinkled like the mold or alloy ( or both ) were too cold, and probably were. I took a 30 cal cleaning brush and brushed out both cavities and resmoked the mold and all was well...

I didn't get the chance to go to the range this weekend, as my wife wasn't feeling the best and because I work night shift she doesn't get to see me awake too often....So we stayed home. She likes to go now and I think she has claimed my 22/45 as hers now...

44man
10-13-2008, 09:00 AM
Maybe something of interest here! I have a 330 gr boolit for my .44 that has done 1" and 1-1/4" at 100 yd's from my SBH with 296.
For years I have said the BH's and SRH's love 296 but the RH likes H110. Lots of arguments ensued over it. I never got H110 to shoot with my SBH, Vaquero or SRH.
Whitworth brought a RH out and I tried a bunch of my 296 loads out of it. Beat my knuckle BAD, but that is another story.
Anyway, my loads SUCKED out of it, barely making 6" at 50 yd's. I also tried the RD 265 gr boolit and it was not much better with 296.
I told Marko that we must try H110 and he gave me a funny look. I don't think I have enough left to test either.
No, I can't explain it, never could either! :confused:
If you have a SBH, SRH, RH or a .45 Vaquero, you MUST test both powders.
Even though Hodgdon has both powders now, 296 still shoots out of my guns. No way I will ever change.
If you are stuck on H110, just give 296 a try. There IS something different.

TCLouis
10-13-2008, 07:23 PM
44Man

This boolit and RD's is the very reason I want two jugs of the 297 that Pat McDonald is selling. Now if he just had the Russian "unique".

hedgehorn
11-04-2008, 10:59 PM
OK I am going to try to revive this thread because I need your opinions. I have been loading this boolit in the bottom crimp groove with 13 grains of hs6 and getting good accuracy out of my 5.5" Redhawk. I would like to get your ideas about where I should start with my powder charge if I want to load the bullet and seat to the upper groove ( about .090" deeper. I have to put a little force on the cartridge with my thumb to get it all the way in the cylinder right now. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :-D

44man
11-05-2008, 01:45 AM
To tell the truth, I never seen much difference when I seat deeper. I suppose it would matter if I was loading right at max. More depends on what your gun likes.
I like HS-6 for a lighter load in my .475, groups as good as 296 but I never tried it in the .44. I suppose dropping a grain to start would work. You ARE on the hot side though right now so it might be better to start a little lower.

454PB
11-05-2008, 01:58 AM
Your Redhawk will handle pressures that are way above what other revolvers can take, but seating deeper can get you in trouble if you're near max. If I were you, I'd reduce the charge at least 5%. In my .454's, using the Lee .452" equivalent boolit, I had to use the upper crimp groove to feed correctly in my Puma rifle. My chronograph showed a 100 fps. increase in my revolvers just from increasing the seating depth. I'm using Lil'Gun and H-110, but the same caution should be used with HS-6.

hedgehorn
11-05-2008, 11:25 PM
Thanks for the replies. I will back off the load one grain and try seating it in the upper groove. I hope the weather warms up a little for the weekend I want to take my redhawk to the range again. :-D

S.B.
11-07-2008, 10:47 PM
Tom, 19 gr's is the starting load. As you work up, groups will tighten and if you go a little over, groups will slowly start to open. With H110, maybe even 22 gr's will be better. I use 296.
Also, after you find the tightest groups, switch to a Fed 150 primer to see what happens.
We have shot a ton of 1/2" groups at 50 yd's with the SRH and I shot pop cans at 200 yd's with it.
If you are using LLA snot, then try Felix lube. I am sure you will see a large improvement.
I seat the boolit in the lower crimp groove too.

Can you see a pop can at 200 yards? Must be using a scope? If your going to change primers shouldn't you back off and start lower?
Steve

JesterGrin_1
11-07-2008, 10:53 PM
If you go from a Mag primer to the standard primer such as the Fed 150 it will lower the pressure a bit. So you would not have to worry about raising the pressure with such a change. And unless you are shooting in sub O then a standard primer will work fine. I found as 44 Man did that the standard primer would give better groups than going with the Mag primer. But I also live in South TEXAS so I really do not worry much about extreme cold lol.

44man
11-08-2008, 09:20 AM
SB, yes the SRH had a scope for testing from bags but I change to a red dot for hunting. I like a scope for working loads though.
Actually, a spay paint can is easy to see on the 200 yd rail, bigger then a pop can, and I have hit them with my .475 BFR using an Ultra Dot. Since the boolit drops 18" all I have to do is put the dot a little above the can. A few shots to get the right elevation and it is easy from then on.
The SBH is nowhere near as consistent as the SRH or BFR's. Cans at 100 yd's is about my limit with them.
I have shot my .475 BFR to 400 yd's and hit pretty small targets using the Ultra Dot and my 45-70 BFR has clanged steel rams at 500 meters. With a SBH it is wishful thinking! :mrgreen:
A friend talked me out of the SRH when I needed money for a new BFR, I miss it! They are the most accurate revolvers Ruger makes.
The standard RH can be a pain to get to shoot.
Of the hundreds and hundreds of guns that have rolled through my range all these years, the BFR's are the most accurate with the SRH second. Custom revolvers hang right with the SRH. The amount of money spent on a gun makes no difference in how they shoot.

For rifles, the Weatherby Vanguards are proving to be the most accurate out of the box rifles, for a reasonable price, that I have ever shot. The Mark V is no slouch either. Next would be the Savage. However most every new rifle now is already tweaked and bedded right from the factory. Most factory loads will also question why we load our own other then to save money.
These are just my opinions though! :Fire:

MtGun44
11-08-2008, 03:04 PM
Hodgdon says that the only difference between H110 and W296 is
packaging and lot to lot variation. Made in the same factory to the
same specs.

Bill

454PB
11-08-2008, 03:22 PM
As is WW 760 and H-414.

44man
11-08-2008, 04:17 PM
That was not so long ago when the powder supply was separate but since Hodgdon now handles all, it probably is the same.

felix
11-08-2008, 04:42 PM
Who really knows anymore, 44man! It just makes sense these days to produce powder like any other gross commodity. Test a finished lot with several earmarked "guns" and see where it falls within intentional, existing specs. If so, label it as the standard it falls into. Else surplus it, or bring it out as a brand new number. It just depends on how much was made, and can it be mixed (physically and chemically) with other stand-by lots to make it a canistered number. Of all the powders on the market that I have used, only the V-V powders are constantly within 0.1 grain by volume, and by performance. Maybe that extra lot-to-lot blending time required to do that is passed on to us in terms of more money per pound. ... felix