PDA

View Full Version : Leading in muzzle break

44Blam
12-20-2018, 12:06 AM
I've got an AR10 style .308 that I have been developing a load for.

I have a load that gave me about 2450 fps and reasonable accuracy. I had a few fliers but for the most part it was pretty much on.

The boolits I was shooting were 174 grn from the NOE 311-174-FN mould. The boolits are gas checked, powder coated and tumbled in Alox. I was shooting these with 41 grn of Varget and had only partially flattened primers as signs of pressure.

I ran a bore scope though the barrel and I have zero leading in the barrel. BUT I have some lead splatter on the muzzle break.

What do you do about this? I'll clean it up with some chore boy, but I'm a little curious why I get lead just in the muzzle break. Also, I was planning on not powder coating the next set of boolits and use Ben's Red / BLL instead.

One interesting thing is I shot about 25 of the same COL/boolit/size under some lower loads and got poorer accuracy but no leading in the muzzle break. This last session I had a lot of fun smoking clays and golf balls, so I ended up going through about 80 rounds...

44Blam
12-21-2018, 02:34 AM
After using the search function, I think I'll just take the muzzle break off and just put a thread protector on...

crankycalico
12-21-2018, 04:05 AM
doing that will mess with your sights.

could simply just start doing a load ladder using the clean burning ones.

Or it could be the lube used. As someone with a compensator, im more worried on bullets getting through it.

303Guy
12-21-2018, 04:48 AM
If I may ask, why is the lead on the muzzle break an issue?

waksupi
12-21-2018, 01:52 PM
Dip it in Ed's Red before you go shooting. Should help.

mto7464
12-21-2018, 05:10 PM
same problem with my 300 BO. I have read many other shooters have this problem and getting lead in their can's. Not sure what to do about it.

44Blam
12-21-2018, 05:55 PM
I think I'm going to go ahead and take the brake off. I know the folks on the line will appreciate it and it seems like it'll help with accuracy.

megasupermagnum
12-21-2018, 11:17 PM
I accidentally posted on the other suppressor thread, but the question is the same. How can you have lead splatter with a powder coated bullet?

44Blam
12-22-2018, 01:06 AM
I accidentally posted on the other suppressor thread, but the question is the same. How can you have lead splatter with a powder coated bullet?
I actually had some flakes of powder coat in the muzzle break as well... So I'm assuming violent things happen when the boolit exits the barrel into the muzzle break...

When I get a chance, I'll see if my bore scope can snap a pic.