PDA

View Full Version : Hopelessly confused.......

tjndaltx
10-05-2008, 09:05 PM
Hello guys,

I'm brand new to casting, my pot is still in the box. I'm spending a lot of time reading and studying.

I've purchased several new molds from Lee, RCBS, and Lyman and I am totally amazed that the molds that I bought from Lee.....I can't find any load data for them. I have the 47th and 48th edition of the Lyman Reloading, I also have the latest edition of Lee's book, Modern Reloading. Why would someone make a mold if there's no load data?

Am I stupid? Looking in the wrong place?

For instance, I've heard one can't use jacketed bullet data for cast bullets even if they're the same weight. Is this true? Then how does one know how to start making up a load and what powder to use?

Is there some "PLACE" that has load data for cast bullets?

I really appreciate any help.

45nut
10-05-2008, 09:14 PM
Hello guys,

I'm brand new to casting, my pot is still in the box. I'm spending a lot of time reading and studying.

I've purchased several new molds from Lee, RCBS, and Lyman and I am totally amazed that the molds that I bought from Lee.....I can't find any load data for them. I have the 47th and 48th edition of the Lyman Reloading, I also have the latest edition of Lee's book, Modern Reloading. Why would someone make a mold if there's no load data?

Am I stupid? Looking in the wrong place?

For instance, I've heard one can't use jacketed bullet data for cast bullets even if they're the same weight. Is this true? Then how does one know how to start making up a load and what powder to use?

Is there some "PLACE" that has load data for cast bullets?

I really appreciate any help.

Cough, cough,, b-s. If there is no data published I always go to jacketed start loads and work my way through.

454PB
10-05-2008, 09:18 PM
Relax! Load data from jacketed bullets can be used for cast boolits. You have to use common sense, work from below, and make sure the seating depth is about the same. Jacketed bullets generally produce higher pressure than cast, assuming equal bearing surface. In addition, data for one particular cast boolit can be used for another design of the same weight, observing the same cautions previously stated.

waksupi
10-05-2008, 09:19 PM
I will add, this IS the place for information. Welcome aboard!

Heavy lead
10-05-2008, 09:52 PM
I've never owned a cast bullet data book. I think the Alliant and Hodgdon sight have seperate data now, at least for some weights, but I've always used jacketed data.
Welcome[smilie=s:

chuebner
10-05-2008, 10:28 PM
A few years back I stumbled across an unused copy of the "RCBS Cast Bullet Handbook 1st. Edition" published in 1986 in a used book store. This little book has a wealth of load data for the RCBS bullet line but the load data is applicable to the same weight bullets from other popular mold makers. I use this along with the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook quite often for reference. My set of Lee 7.62X54R dies actually has cast bullet load data on the reference sheet included in the die set.

tjndaltx
10-05-2008, 10:31 PM
Hey guys,

Thanks a lot. Now I know I have a place to start making up my CB loads. I really appreciate this forum.

Best to all........

TJ

GP100man
10-05-2008, 10:53 PM
have a 35891 lymam mold 150 gr wadcutter i size & lube with carnauba red place it flush with the case & roll it a little wsp primer & 2.5 gr clays. it does`nt smoke cases like 2.8 gr of BE
point being these loads are`nt in a manual but from peoples exp & trial error have come up with a low recoil , low report loads .
always consider the available space in the case with the bullet or boolit being used.
& these loads don`t hurt my arthritic hands like big booming loads !!!
pick a boolit weight & use startin grs. & work from that, i did it until i got my 46th lyman , then cast handbook!!!!
the slower powders are easier to work with , the ball powders like upper end pressures the best
powders like hs6 are a versatile type , not good for lite loads , not good for upper end super blasters , but shines anywhere in between

GP100man:castmine:

mooman76
10-05-2008, 11:14 PM
If you can, find the closest bullet to the Lee and use that data. Always as usual work your load up. It is better to use the bullet data from a slightly heavier bullet than the oter way around.

MtGun44
10-06-2008, 01:04 AM
Cast lead has a much lower coefficient of friction against barrel steel than
copper alloy jackets, so will typically generate higher velocity and lower
pressure for a similar jacketed bullet. As usual, start low and work up,
no two guns will react the same with different loads. Stay safe.

The real danger is taking a max load for a cast boolit and using that load
for a same wt jacketed bullet !! This can be dangerous.

Bill

PatMarlin
10-08-2008, 08:47 PM
tjndaltx,

I you have Lee's Modern Reloading second addition starting on page 105 is probably the best info I have ever read on calculating reduced loads and reduced pressure loads for cast boolits.