PDA

View Full Version : Apple phones

Goatwhiskers
12-15-2018, 04:26 PM
When my wife passed on I got her iPhone. Been trying to figure what model it is, was told by a friend it's either a 7plus or an 8plus. How do I tell the difference? I know I'll have to go to the store to get it set up, been thinking about doing that as the quality is so much better than my Samsung Rugby Pro. Only thing is it won't fit in my shirt pocket. Appreciate any advice or pointers. GW

Markopolo
12-15-2018, 04:37 PM
There is a number printed on the back of the phone that you should be able to look up and will give you the details... it will look like a serial number, but it is actually the model number....

Good luck sir... hopefully the phone isn’t locked...

buckwheatpaul
12-15-2018, 04:50 PM
GW when in doubt call your carrier.....they knew....had to call Verizon and they answered my question on my wife's Apple and my Droid.....good luck brother!

Goatwhiskers
12-15-2018, 05:14 PM
Apparently a 6S plus. As I said a lot better than my Samsung, once I get used to it. We were both on AT&T so I'll go check it out Monday. GW

Dieselhorses
12-15-2018, 05:31 PM
Just switched to an iPhone 10 only because of a promotion ATT was offering. I thought I was in another country! Not too bad though. Main differences between an Android and iPhone are 1) There is only one volume setting for everything 2)iPhone does not have indicator lights on face and 3)the "OS". Other than having to change my number after 14 years. it was worth it to get away from Google.

bangerjim
12-15-2018, 05:43 PM
iPhones are the best. Use them in my company and most family members have them. With Verizon calling is cheap and between users calls are free.

Watch the 10X phone. Apple switched from Qualcom chips to some cheaper ChiCom ones and the connectivity is the pits. Had 2 of them and took them back for the previous version. 10X had 2 bars and older ones had FULL bars!!!!! Major problems with comm chip set in 10X.

banger

Dieselhorses
12-15-2018, 06:00 PM
iPhones are the best. Use them in my company and most family members have them. With Verizon calling is cheap and between users calls are free.

Watch the 10X phone. Apple switched from Qualcom chips to some cheaper ChiCom ones and the connectivity is the pits. Had 2 of them and took them back for the previous version. 10X had 2 bars and older ones had FULL bars!!!!! Major problems with comm chip set in 10X.

banger

Good observation. Now it's got me wondering because I still have till the 20th to exchange phone. The platform for mine is:

Platform
OS iOS 12, upgradable to iOS 12.1
Chipset Apple A12 Bionic (7 nm)
CPU Hexa-core (2x2.5 GHz Vortex + 4x1.6 GHz Tempest)
GPU Apple GPU (4-core graphics)

From what I read it has the same CPU as the 10S and 10S max, correct me if I'm wrong. Also found out that my phone is just the glorified version of the 9!

RU shooter
12-15-2018, 07:14 PM
On my iPhone 5 if you go to settings then to general it will list the SN and other info about the phone . I stay with the 5 till it dies as I don't want anything bigger in my front pants pocket . I don't think I could ever switch to android phone my woman has one and I can't make heads or tails on how to do stuff on it

Finster101
12-15-2018, 07:21 PM
On my iPhone 5 if you go to settings then to general it will list the SN and other info about the phone . I stay with the 5 till it dies as I don't want anything bigger in my front pants pocket . I don't think I could ever switch to android phone my woman has one and I can't make heads or tails on how to do stuff on it

I'm with you on the size. My 5 would no longer get updates. I just got a refurbished iPhone SE. Same size as the 5 but with the same processor as the 7 for around $230.00. All I had to do was back up my 5 to the laptop change the sim card to the SE and then backup the SE to the laptop. Easy Peasy.

jmort
12-15-2018, 08:59 PM
The SE is an I6 in an I5 Body.
Mine cost $145 new at Walmart
I like small phones
I like 3.5mm jack
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPhone_SE

nicholst55
12-15-2018, 09:13 PM
For any military members or veterans considering purchase of an iPhone, Apple does offer a discount. You don't hear much about it, but it is available.

MUSTANG
12-16-2018, 12:11 PM

banger

Apple Chips are made in both China and Germany. Internally there is some effort to shift the production to predominantly German made.