PDA

View Full Version : Size Really Does Matter!

Maven
10-05-2008, 07:01 PM
If you've been following my posts on the Knight Bighorn on the Muzzle Loader (nee Front Stuffers) board, you'll remember my last tests involved a few .490" RB's (.010" patch) and many T/C Maxi-Balls, Lee Improved Minies and 6 T/C Maxi-Hunters (purchased; all others were cast by me). The overall results varied from good+ to not-so-good and I couldn't figure out why; i.e., until I returned home and happened to see a target I shot ~a month ago. At that time I was using 60grs. Pyrodex RS with the T/C Maxi-Ball and 40-50grs. with a .490" RB + .010" patch and the results were hugely different: 5 shots with both the Maxi- and RB were touching @ 50yds. using Win. 209 primers. The not-so-good results were obtained using Pyrodex P and CCI #11 percussion caps. Today I decided to determine once and for all whether the earlier results could be repeated and whether switching primer types made a notable difference. Again I chose the T/C Maxi-Balls and Maxi-Hunters, the Lee Improved Minies as well as a handful of .490" RB's, but with GOEX FFg and CCI #11 caps instead of Pyro. RS and Win. 209 primers. [The conicals were lubed with Ox Yoke's "Wonder Lube" and T/C Bore Butter (Maxi-Hunters), but I used "Old Slickum" on the patches.] I used 60grs. FFg for the conicals, but only 50 for the RB's. The good news is that the accuracy I earlier achieved returned and that switching to a percussion cap really hadn't much effect as far as grouping. The bad news? Well, there really isn't any except to say that the T/C Maxi-Hunters didn't group as tightly as the other 4 projectiles, maybe 2" @ 50 yds., which was much better than the 4" - 5" I got with Pyro. P.

Unlike those smutty e-mails we all get, size, I mean powder granulation, really does make a difference in my rifle and maybe yours as well. It looks like I'll be ordering some FFg in the very near future!

EMC45
10-05-2008, 07:20 PM
I've always been told it doesn't matter [smilie=1: