PDA

View Full Version : Problem with group buy mihek brass 2 cavity .502 600 bullets/mould

happyfast79
12-13-2018, 06:15 PM
So I bought this mould back in like 2011 off a group buy that daytona69 put on and mihek built and finally got around to loading some bullets up for my s&w 500 ( better late then never)and found that none of my rounds will chamber, it seems that the bullets are hitting the ledge where the cylinder drops down from case diameter to bullet diameter. Also having issues with rough pins for the penta hollow point on this mould. Anyway bullets measure .5015 at the spot that they are contacting in the cylinder and the end of the chamber measures.5005 according to my cheap digital caliper.

I also have some bullets from Matt’s bullets and they are stepped down in the area that the group buy bullets are contacting and they fit great. So I’m just wondering if my gun is out of spec and also how to fix the rough penta pins( they have ledges going up the slope of the penta point). Bullet on the left is Matt’s bullets 700 gr and fits fine, bullet on the right is 565 gr penta from the group buy

Thanks

HangFireW8
12-13-2018, 06:48 PM
Are you sizing the Mihec boolits? From what to what?

Is seating them deeper an option?

happyfast79
12-13-2018, 08:01 PM
Are you sizing the Mihec boolits? From what to what?

Is seating them deeper an option?

I did not measure the diameter before sizing but I’m sizing them to .501

happyfast79
12-13-2018, 08:03 PM
And as to seating them deeper, I won’t have anywhere to crimp and they would take up a lot of powder space. It just seems strange that everyone else who bought this mould didn’t post about any problems

leadhead 500
12-13-2018, 08:22 PM
Can you post a pic of a sized bullet, also what is your mixture on your lead?

happyfast79
12-13-2018, 09:50 PM
Can you post a pic of a sized bullet, also what is your mixture on your lead?

Sized bullet pic

megasupermagnum
12-13-2018, 09:57 PM
size to .500", or have your cylinder throats reamed.

happyfast79
12-13-2018, 09:59 PM
I have always sized cast bullets at least .001 over. But I may have to try that. I don’t have a die that size

megasupermagnum
12-13-2018, 10:17 PM
I have always sized cast bullets at least .001 over. But I may have to try that. I don’t have a die that size

It is not ideal, but if it works, great. Maybe you are lucky and have a .499" groove.

Dieselhorses
12-13-2018, 10:27 PM
If those are live finished rounds in pic one, I don't see a whole lot of crimp on em. Is it possible that the "case" itself is binding in the cylinder throat? Just an idea. My cylinder throats are exactly .500.

HangFireW8
12-13-2018, 10:34 PM
If the penta pin ridges are proud of the surface, you can polish them down on a buffer wheel and some rouge. If they are grooves, shallow might polish out but deep grooves would be a problem.

The chambering problem is the ogive or shoulder of the boolit interfering with the chamber step. Your choices are to change the ammo or change the gun.

I would start with the ammo, try to get the diameter up front a little slimmer.

happyfast79
12-13-2018, 10:34 PM
The bare bullet get stuck in the same spot

happyfast79
12-13-2018, 10:37 PM
If the penta pin ridges are proud of the surface, you can polish them down on a buffer wheel and some rouge. If they are grooves, shallow might polish out but deep grooves would be a problem.

The chambering problem is the ogive or shoulder of the boolit interfering with the chamber step. Your choices are to change the ammo or change the gun.

I would start with the ammo, try to get the diameter up front a little slimmer.

I’ll polish the pins and see what that does, it’s a bummer that I have a new mould that was designed for the 500 and I can’t use it in it

happyfast79
12-13-2018, 11:25 PM
Think smith and Wesson will ream throats bigger? Barrel/cyilinder gap is also on the big side @ .010 on one side and .009 on the other side so maybe they will fix it all

megasupermagnum
12-13-2018, 11:45 PM
Think smith and Wesson will ream throats bigger? Barrel/cyilinder gap is also on the big side @ .010 on one side and .009 on the other side so maybe they will fix it all

As sad as it is, I would think .010" is inside their specs. I wouldn't worry about it. Contact DougGuy on this forum to have him hone your cylinders. First you can size your bullets to .500", and assuming your throats are bigger than that, they will then fit. This may or may not shoot good, you would have to try it. A cheap way to size is to use a 1/2" dowel with mallet, and tap your bullets through your cylinder. Remove the cylinder, drill a hole in a block of wood to allow bullets to drop through, and you can tap a number through in no time.

Another option is to seat deeper, adjust powder accordingly, and taper crimp.

Mal Paso
12-13-2018, 11:48 PM
Doug guy could ream them. Smith cuts 44 mag throats smaller than the groove I wouldn't be surprised at 500 tight throats.

That's a huge cylinder gap.

Early pentas were rough, they are much better now.

happyfast79
12-15-2018, 12:08 AM
Thanks all for the help. I’m going to contact smith and Wesson to see if they will fix it under warranty and see if they will fix barrel cylinder gap while it’s there

reddog81
12-15-2018, 12:17 AM
Good luck with S&W, but I'm almost positive they'll say stick to factory ammo and you'll be fine. I'm guessing .500 throats are the standard. I'm pretty sure I've heard .012 is their thereshold for the barrel cylinder gap.

Like others mentioned, contacting Doug Guy will be your best bet.

megasupermagnum
12-15-2018, 12:23 AM
Thanks all for the help. I’m going to contact smith and Wesson to see if they will fix it under warranty and see if they will fix barrel cylinder gap while it’s there

As a guy who spent about 5 months, multiple trips to the factory, trying to get Smith and Wesson to fix a gun with a bad barrel (which is what it would take to fix yours), I'd advise you don't. Too much headache and too much time, life is too short. If you try to call them, take a seat, and prepare for a LOOOOOOOONG wait.

I doubt you'll miss the little bit of velocity from that gap, and DougGuy can have your cylinder back to you before S&W returns you messages.