PDA

View Full Version : 30-210 hbc loads

Boondocker
12-02-2005, 10:33 PM
Hi all
I am finally getting around to shooting this boolit. I am home on medical recoop from surgery, just carpal tunnel. 32 years of wrenching finaly caught up to me. I cast some straight ww , sized to .310 and checked with a Hornady. This is my first casting in rifles lots of pistol tho. I read a while back about some one using Unique around 9 grains. I have 4lbs I would like to burn up. I want to eventually work up a deer load with this puppy. Thanks Steve

(PS I am up for suggestions an or critics) Any powder suggestions also. Sorry for the long wind.

culexx
12-02-2005, 10:59 PM
Boondocker, I have been using 4064 and 4350 powders with the HBC booletweighing around 190.0 grains.I am also using a very hard alloy (BH30) after water quenching. Boolets are seated into the rifiling. Suggest that you start with 30-35 grains of 4064 or 4895 since your wheel weight alloy is softer. Also remember to clean the barrel thourghly. Try some loads with dacron filler. Culexx

Maineboy
12-03-2005, 08:55 AM
Boondocker, this is a photo of some 100 yard HBC groups fired from my M70 Winchester 30-06 shortly after I received the mould. It includes one group with a load of 9 grains of Unique. I've tried it in just about all my 30 caliber rifles with so-so results. I find the boolit does work better when you keep the velocity down.

Maven
12-03-2005, 10:41 AM
Ditto what MEboy said. However, some have claimed m.o.a. accuracy with it at [much] higher velocity. To that end, I've got some loaded with milsurp IMR 7383 (used a starting load for IMR 4350 and a 190gr. jacketed bullet) in my .30-06, but won't know how they perform until our range re-opens and it's warm enough to set my chronograph up. Btw, the .30HBC is also quite accurate with 15-17gr. WC 820, but velocity is <1,600fps.

Newtire
12-03-2005, 02:00 PM
Hi Boondocker,
That might be a real tough boolit to get to shoot straight because of it's pointy nose which might want to slump on firing as Buckshot mentioned on the thread on the "Squibb" bullet. I have one rifle with a real close fitting chamber that it might work in as far as getting it aligned with the bore goes & since I am off work for a while with a couple of new stents in my ticker, I plan on giving it a try in that gun. For deer hunting, you might be better off with something more flatnosed or rounded. Someone in here is sure to chime in. It looks real awesome as a bullet though and think maybe it ought to work as a kind of sub-sonic sniper load for slodiers of fortune down on their luck and needing cheap bullets? Good luck with that carpal tunnel. I had that done in '98 and took about 6-months to get completeldy gone. Wrenching done me in too! All better now in the hand department.

Boondocker
12-03-2005, 05:56 PM
Thanks Guys

This will give me a start to see what I can do. Keep me out of the wifes hair also. Snuck out today and made meat for the table. Me and the wife is going to make around 30 lbs of jerky tommorow. Doc said it was ok (shhhh !!!!dont tell work) . To be honest for hunting load I dont need a fast tack driver where I hunt. She went down today at 30 yards. Newtire I can finally sleep at night again, waited long enough. Therupy monday and a really dont see where it will take 6 weeks a hand to go but I will take it. Hadnt had this much time off since high school 32 yrs ago. :redneck: Boon

Buckshot
12-04-2005, 01:24 AM
...............Boondocker, welcome to the board. I have the mould but as yet haven't touched it. My comment is to add a hearty ditto to Newtire's comment:

" For deer hunting, you might be better off with something more flatnosed or rounded."

That spitzer would most likely thread it's way though an animal so slick the thing wouldn't even know it was hit. Then again it might tumble and create instantaneous death. However a FN slug is a well known commodity as to it's effect, so long as it's well placed.

.............Buckshot

trk
01-07-2006, 11:27 PM
I cast a few tonight - but when attempting to size they shortened up way too much. Need to dig out some lino and water quench to gain hardness.
Looking at the 40X in 7.62 Nato for testing.

Ricochet
01-08-2006, 04:08 PM
After all this time I still haven't gotten around to trying them. I've had some cast for a long while, from water dropped wheelweights, they weigh right at 200 grains. I plan to try them with 7383 in my .300 Weatherby Vanguard first, as it's always been a tackdriver and my only .30-06, a Ruger M77, throws improved cylinder patterns with anything loaded in it.