PDA

View Full Version : TV repairs

abunaitoo
12-10-2018, 08:14 PM
Any TV repair guys here???
We have a Panasonic Viera TV.
Got it in 2010.
Problem is every once in a while, the voice is garbled.
It sounds muffled, with an echo.
Last around 10 to 15 minutes, and will go back to normal.
If we turn off the TV, and turn it back on again, it will go back to normal.
This is and older model, so no self diagnostic feature.
We just had to change to digital with Rectum cable.
Was fine before.
We had the cable guy come and check it.
He repaired a cable, but said it's probably the TV, because it only happens to one of the TV's we have.
Other than that, it works fine.
I would think a TV would last longer than 8 years.
One we had before it lasted over 15 years.

popper
12-10-2018, 08:27 PM
Have a DVR/cable box? Call C.S. or just power off the cable box 1 min, restart. Digital timing drift. Home electronics aren't what they used to be. Most of the LED TVs are just a computer, LED screen. Cable boxes are even lower quality.

jcren
12-10-2018, 10:15 PM
Poor cable connections can cause wwhat you described. Just hooked up a sound bar for my mom that did that occasionally, replaced the audio cable and it has worked fine.

sureYnot
12-10-2018, 10:32 PM
Agree the connection from box to tv is most likely. Could still be TV, box, or outlet (wiring) though.
I'd try another cable from STB to TV first.
To eliminate STB as the issue, swap with another one in the house. Make sure you get the coax fittings torqued back to 20 lbs (just barely too tight to remove with your fingers). If issue follows the box, it's the box. If it doesn't, put a different tv there for awhile. If issue persists on the different tv and box, there's a problem with the outlet. (Possible, since he "fixed" a cable. Lots of cable guys will "fix" cable that should be replaced.)
If we have a betting pool going, I'll take "cable from box to tv".

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

abunaitoo
12-11-2018, 04:49 AM
Thanks
Cable guy changed the screw-in part of the cable.
He said it was old and bad.
Didn't solve the problem.
I have changed the HDML cable between the box and TV.
Same problem
Then I changed the box.
Same problem.
Then the guy changed the cable connector.
Still have the same problem
Probably the TV.
I checked on-line, and these did have a problem with the sound.
Speakers or main board.
TV repair guy I talked to said probably the board.
Old stuff just going bad.
Had to change the ice box, waiting for a new stove to come on Thursday, now the TV.
It's been a bad year.
Hope next year is better.

sureYnot
12-11-2018, 06:40 AM
Do you have that sound issue when watching a DVD or other devices connected to that tv? If not, it could be HDMI compatibility issue between tv and box. Certainly wouldn't be a problem with your tv. Try switching to component cables. If you don't have any of those laying around you could try RCA cables. (Folks are more likely to have extras of these laying around. They can't give you HD picture. They're sufficient for this troubleshooting step, though.) If the problem goes away with RCA cables, then it's worth buying a set of component cables. Cheaper than a new TV. This wouldn't be the first HDMI incompatibility issue I've heard of. These issues are common enough to be worth the hassle of this troubleshooting.

Petrol & Powder
12-11-2018, 07:27 AM
If the problem occurs with only that one TV that suggests the problem rests with the TV itself.
You could try moving the TV to another location ( different cable box, component cables, etc. ) and see if the problem follows the TV, if it does then you'll have your answer.

Almost nobody repairs TV's these days. If the problem is more than you can tolerate you're choice will likely be replacement of the TV. The old one will make a nice glorified monitor or could be a spare TV in another room until the problem becomes unbearable.

I wouldn't spend a lot of money trying to fix this issue because in the end you'll just have a collection of HDMI and other cables and still have a broken TV.

sureYnot
12-11-2018, 07:54 AM
If the problem occurs with only that one TV that suggests the problem rests with the TV itself.
You could try moving the TV to another location ( different cable box, component cables, etc. ) and see if the problem follows the TV, if it does then you'll have your answer.

Not necessarily. As stated, HDMI compatibility issues are common enough to be worth troubleshooting as a possibility. If that's the problem, the issue would follow the tv to another (same model) STB. Component doesn't suffer from compatibility issues. That's why it's worth trying. Especially if the issue is not present with other connected devices. The fact that the issue was not present prior to the upgrade, lends even more weight to the theory. His sound board and speakers didn't change. The delivery method did. He doesn't need to buy a bunch of cables to do this troubleshooting. Probably already has RCA or component cables attached to a vcr, DVD player, or other devices, that can be borrowed.

elmacgyver0
12-11-2018, 08:05 AM
Not much to fix in them anymore. Everyone just replaces boards. If you can determine which board it is located the part number and "google" it.
You will more than likely find a cost effective replacement. I fixed a TV that hit by lightning this way. Cost me $35 for a replacemet board from a used unit that had a broken display. E-Bay is your friend.

jsizemore
12-11-2018, 09:08 AM
Thanks
Cable guy changed the screw-in part of the cable.
He said it was old and bad.
Didn't solve the problem.
I have changed the HDML cable between the box and TV.
Same problem
Then I changed the box.
Same problem.
Then the guy changed the cable connector.
Still have the same problem
Probably the TV.
I checked on-line, and these did have a problem with the sound.
Speakers or main board.
TV repair guy I talked to said probably the board.
Old stuff just going bad.
Had to change the ice box, waiting for a new stove to come on Thursday, now the TV.
It's been a bad year.
Hope next year is better.

Coulda had a volcano.

Petrol & Powder
12-11-2018, 05:39 PM
Not necessarily. As stated, HDMI compatibility issues are common enough to be worth troubleshooting as a possibility. If that's the problem, the issue would follow the tv to another (same model) STB. Component doesn't suffer from compatibility issues. That's why it's worth trying. Especially if the issue is not present with other connected devices. The fact that the issue was not present prior to the upgrade, lends even more weight to the theory. His sound board and speakers didn't change. The delivery method did. He doesn't need to buy a bunch of cables to do this troubleshooting. Probably already has RCA or component cables attached to a vcr, DVD player, or other devices, that can be borrowed.

I would agree with that if the problem wasn't intermittent. However the garbled audio that only lasts 10-15 minutes and then returns to normal hints at a TV problem and not a source problem. And the fact that it's only one TV in the house fed by the same cable source also hints that the source is OK.
The fact that it just appeared along with upgrade in service may just be a coincidence.
If you move the TV (like to another HOUSE) and the problem follows the TV, the problem lies with the TV.

So, before buying HDMI cables and other external components, why not just move the TV (for free) and see if the problem follows the TV?

jsizemore
12-11-2018, 06:46 PM
If your TV is stereo, it could be one channel dropping out and in. It will sound dim and echo.

MaryB
12-11-2018, 09:13 PM
8 years is the average life for a TV.. you got your monies worth! And the new flat screens have MUCH better resolution... with Christmas deals going on I would upgrade.

If it was in my shop you would have a minimum $50 charge in advance(costs me $20 to get rid of a dead TV when customers abandon them, other $30 cover my time troubleshooting) plus parts... figure $100+ and a new TV is Under $300 for the smaller screens, I saw a 55" at Walmart of $399...

NyFirefighter357
12-11-2018, 10:29 PM
8 years is the average life for a TV..
If it was in my shop you would have a minimum $50 charge in advance(costs me $20 to get rid of a dead TV when customers abandon them, other $30 cover my time troubleshooting) plus parts... figure $100+ and a new TV is Under $300 for the smaller screens, I saw a 55" at Walmart of $399...

The average appliance is 7-8yrs as well. Ii you can't fix it yourself it's cheaper to buy new.
Can't even find a TV repair person around these parts if you do $100 might get them to look at it. Then they are going to tell you it need $200-$300 in parts & install, most just tell you to buy a new TV.

Traffer
12-11-2018, 10:30 PM
Sounds like a capacitor gone or going bad to me. The sound amp in those things are pretty cheap. Do you ever hear a high pitch squeal ...not through the speakers but coming from inside the TV? If so it is definitely a bad cap. If there is any way to bypass the sound and run it through some other amp, that would solve the problem (if indeed it is a bad sound board) Try tapping into the rca jacks for sound instead of the hdmi cable...

abunaitoo
12-11-2018, 11:03 PM
It's not connected to anything else.
just the cable box and TV.
I was going to try and hook it up to the stereo, but to many things to turn on.
It's the TV in the living room.
Mom watches it so it would be hard fro her to remember to turn on the stereo.
Went to walmart today. 40" going for around $200.
Probably just buy a new one.
It's sad that things these days last only 7 years.
Our old tube TV lasted over 15 years.
Ice box lasted over 17 years.
Stove lasted almost 20 years.
They just don't make things to last anymore.
I rather have old stuff. Car is a 1990 and truck is 1999.

Traffer
12-12-2018, 04:24 AM
It's called planned obsolescence. They perfected the concept with personal computers. The one that get's me is cars. The new cars are created to be obsolete in 7 years or so. I am still driving my 1999 Civic that I bought new. I contend that it is better than the brand new ones.

sureYnot
12-12-2018, 03:38 PM
I would agree with that if the problem wasn't intermittent. However the garbled audio that only lasts 10-15 minutes and then returns to normal hints at a TV problem and not a source problem. And the fact that it's only one TV in the house fed by the same cable source also hints that the source is OK.
The fact that it just appeared along with upgrade in service may just be a coincidence.
If you move the TV (like to another HOUSE) and the problem follows the TV, the problem lies with the TV.

So, before buying HDMI cables and other external components, why not just move the TV (for free) and see if the problem follows the TV?Not saying it can't be the TV. Just that it's worth troubleshooting. Worked as a cable guy and satellite installer for several years. Including charter, which is now spectrum. I've pretty much seen it all, as far as TV setups go. Replaced many an HDMI cable with component cables due to issues like this. Yes, they can be intermittent.

Petrol & Powder
12-12-2018, 04:45 PM
Not saying it can't be the TV. Just that it's worth troubleshooting. Worked as a cable guy and satellite installer for several years. Including charter, which is now spectrum. I've pretty much seen it all, as far as TV setups go. Replaced many an HDMI cable with component cables due to issues like this. Yes, they can be intermittent.

Not saying you're wrong. I am saying it would be cheaper to start the diagnosis by moving the TV first before buying a HDMI cable or other external components.

jsizemore
12-12-2018, 05:07 PM
About all TVs that use an HDMI cable are in stereo. Your TV has left and right speakers. If you go into the TV's program you'll see the balance adjustment. That's what I meant by stereo. I also should have said channel as in Left or Right not channel 4 or 12.

georgerkahn
12-12-2018, 05:47 PM
I am in concert with Traffer's post (#15). We had SAME problem with a Samsung t.v., not all that old. For the first several minutes, too, sound was AOK... then, garbled. To be OCD, I plugged a DVD player in it's input, so there was no way there'd be a "cable" possibility as the culprit. Problem stayed the same :(. Step 3 was to take Audio Out of television, and plug those, using standard phono cables, into the stereo. Not only was the problem solved, but the sound has appeared to be awesomely better than just from the wee television's speakers. The big down-fall is now needing/using two remotes -- the second just for the sound; and, perhaps the extra pennies in electricity usage with the second device going as well... BUT, cheaper ;) than a replacement television.
geo

Outpost75
12-12-2018, 06:30 PM
I'm using a 20-year-old Sylvania tabletop model with a digital converter and Sony DVD player patched in through a diplexer. We don't have cable or satellite, but use the old Channel-Master antenna and rotor up on the roof. We get as many channels as we want to watch, PBS, H&I, Grit, Escape, Laff, local news, weather and ION.

We don't get NBC, Fox, ABC or CBS out here in the sticks, but I don't miss them. Get great AM and FM radio reception up here on the mountain with outdoor antenna for the Sangean WR3. Plus accumulated a good collection of over 1000 quality DVDs since I retired, paid for with the money I saved not paying $100/month for Comcast, Direct TV or any of that nonsense.

Lloyd Smale
12-13-2018, 06:51 AM
have to agree. there pretty much throw aways today. Ours was getting tired and had lines in the picture and two years ago at a Walmart chirstmas sale they had 55 inch Philips hd tvs for 300 bucks. In 1970s money when you called a tv repair man that would have been like buying a tv 5 times bigger then what was available for 60 bucks. I was skeptical at that price level but ive had a number of people comment on how good of a picture it has. Sound was a bit tinny but I already had a surround sound system anyway so don't use the tv speakers. Bottom line is I paid about what a 12 inch black and white tv was worth in the 70s.
8 years is the average life for a TV.. you got your monies worth! And the new flat screens have MUCH better resolution... with Christmas deals going on I would upgrade.

Elkins45
12-14-2018, 12:50 AM
I have a 19" and a 25" RCA CRT set. Those TVs are now obsolete because they don't have digital tuners. The 19" was bought in 1987and it cost me nearly two works earnings IIRC. Who knows how long they could have lasted. Back then TVs weren't built to need replacement every few years.

Any decent laborer couldn't earn a living repairing most electronics these days if they charged a living hourly rate. For the cost of a couple hours labor you can find a new set to replace the broken one.

abunaitoo
12-14-2018, 04:23 AM
Kind of sad how we've become a throw away society.
We seem to not care about quality, only price.
I wonder how many repair professions / craftsman have been lost.

dragon813gt
12-14-2018, 07:16 AM
I guess I live in an odd area. There are two TV repair shops and they’re always packed w/ ones waiting to be repaired. I sort of get replacing the cheap ones. But people do spend thousands on TVs. So repairing is still the best option. There are still people out there making money repairing TVs.

MaryB
12-14-2018, 08:06 PM
I now limit repairs to high end flat screens. No I won't fix your 20" monitor for $20! Go buy a new one for $80! I don't actively advertise, just word of mouth. Being retired I don't want a bunch of work!

Lloyd Smale
12-15-2018, 07:28 AM
Yup I could sure see paying a repair man to fix a tv that cost 2 grand but then if a tv cost much more then 500 dollars it isn't coming home with me. Personaly my eyes don't see the difference in a 2000 dollar tv compared to a 600 dollar unit. Its like blue ray players. Ive looked at the same movie played on the same blue ray capable player using both blue ray and standard cds and I couldn't tell a bit of difference. But then I guess I could say I shot the same 308 bullet out of a savage axis and out my Kimber and couldn't tell the difference but still own a Kimber. I guess it worth it if your into it.

DougGuy
12-15-2018, 09:31 AM
I agree with Traffer. You can pull the back off and look at the circuitry near the audio jacks, you will see a few things that all audio processors have in common, regulators, op amps, and capacitors. If you look at the end of the cap and it is rounded or bulged at all, it is a bad cap which could intermittently garble the signal then it's fine on the next boot. Somtimes you can take a plastic probe and press on components while the set is running and hear loud static, you have found a loose solder joint. Heat and age cause issues like this and they can be easy to fix if you can get to the circuit board and reflow all the solder joints, or you can clip the caps off above the board and leave the legs soldered in, solder new caps to the legs (if the legs are soldered to the board in barrels, you will NEVER get these out and back in without risking burning the whole board up) or if they are just wav soldered on the bottom, they are easy enough to get out. If you want to keep the dinosaur, this is what will need to be done.

Honestly, My new 43" Samsung HDTV was $422 at Best Buy earlier this year, same tv is $100 cheaper now, I would put the old one out to pasture and get a new one the imagery and picture quality is fantastic!

DougGuy
12-15-2018, 09:41 AM
Now.. A word about capacitors.

Some years back, a major cap manufacturer had an inside "theft" of the formula for it's electrolyte solution, this stolen formula was then sold to several major cap makers, and millions of caps were produced with the stolen electrolyte formula. All the major PC makers used them. Abit, Asus, MSI, Gigabyte, Dell, Gateway, all of them used the cheaper knock off caps.

FF 2yrs. Caps began bulging and failing by the hundreds of thousands. Warranty repairs began to choke the manufacturers. Computers began dying by the thousands. True story. We are talking late 1990s early 2000s time frame.

Why? The "formula" that was leaked/stolen was flawed, it was taken at a point in the process that was not the final version. I had an Abit BX6 motherboard that was horrendously unstable, replacing bulged caps totally fixed it and it was one of the most stable Pentium machines I owned.

I recently bought a Dell at a church yard sale for $10, popped it open and saw 3 bulged caps. Ebayed some new high quality caps, cut the old ones off, soldered the new ones to the old legs sticking up and it is off and running it's behootie off, very stable, very good investment for $10 and $10 worth of caps.

I loaded Linux Mint 19 on it, it is going to a friend who is marooned on the Windows 7 island and has no way off. He will not run windows 10, and I am glad, I do his business machines and his network for 20+yrs and he would drive me up the wall with support for windows.

popper
12-15-2018, 12:54 PM
Got 20$ for a Samsung 55" that wouldn't work right. Wasn' the model that had bad caps. These are just computers now and it they get out of sync they don't work right. This one couldn't get the back light refresh to work right. Probably could have sold the boards on ebay but then somebody else has the problem. Funny part is when you look at the schem. they are signed by some really weird names and who knows who built or designed them. Some of the parts must have been in inventory for 20 yrs.

HangFireW8
12-15-2018, 12:59 PM
Replacement is a real option. I understand about using a stereo introducing another remote. Our HDTV has no audio out so to get 5.1 stereo I have to switch HDMI through the receiver. That means controlling the tv and volume with two remotes.

To hear the complaints you would think it was the end of the world.

I noticed one remote was programmable so I programmed it to switch inputs and control volume. Problem solved.

Now they use both remotes anyway.

MaryB
12-15-2018, 07:38 PM
Yup I could sure see paying a repair man to fix a tv that cost 2 grand but then if a tv cost much more then 500 dollars it isn't coming home with me. Personaly my eyes don't see the difference in a 2000 dollar tv compared to a 600 dollar unit. Its like blue ray players. Ive looked at the same movie played on the same blue ray capable player using both blue ray and standard cds and I couldn't tell a bit of difference. But then I guess I could say I shot the same 308 bullet out of a savage axis and out my Kimber and couldn't tell the difference but still own a Kimber. I guess it worth it if your into it.

I can easily see the difference... much better resolution! I went 4k Ultra and that blows away BluRay 1080p

MaryB
12-15-2018, 07:42 PM
LOL I have 3 remotes! TV, Stereo, and DirecTV receiver...

Yes capacitors are a major failure point. My older Visio that I replaced 2 years ago the back light capacitors failed twice from heat. I am one who has a TV running a lot... 8+ hours a day as background noise most of the time...

Lloyd Smale
12-16-2018, 09:14 AM
you sure don't have to spend 2k for a 4k ultra tv. Like any other new fangled deal they were expensive for the first couple years they were THE technology. Now 3-500 bucks will buy one at Walmart. Lots of networks don't even put out a 1080 signal yet. The only advantage to 4k would be watch a disc on a proper player. I cant comment on what they look like because I haven't ever watched one. If the difference is comparable to blueray vs standard discs I sure am not going to spend money till the blueray player dies. That will probably be a good long time. Movie rental places around her have about all dried up and the only discs I watch are from my son. He buys a movie about once a month and shares it with us. Get most of my movies on netflicks now. For the price of two rental I can watch movies every night of the month.
I can easily see the difference... much better resolution! I went 4k Ultra and that blows away BluRay 1080p

MaryB
12-16-2018, 09:06 PM
you sure don't have to spend 2k for a 4k ultra tv. Like any other new fangled deal they were expensive for the first couple years they were THE technology. Now 3-500 bucks will buy one at Walmart. Lots of networks don't even put out a 1080 signal yet. The only advantage to 4k would be watch a disc on a proper player. I cant comment on what they look like because I haven't ever watched one. If the difference is comparable to blueray vs standard discs I sure am not going to spend money till the blueray player dies. That will probably be a good long time. Movie rental places around her have about all dried up and the only discs I watch are from my son. He buys a movie about once a month and shares it with us. Get most of my movies on netflicks now. For the price of two rental I can watch movies every night of the month.

Actually they up convert standard definition to at least 1080p, and 1080p to 4k... and MOST stations are now 1080p since they went digital. I have a 4k DVD to go with, it is like a movie theater with crystal clear sharp picture.

Lloyd Smale
12-17-2018, 07:50 AM
Maybe my old eyes are just getting tired but I just don't see it. Now when watching tv (dish) there are some channels that aren't hd and theres a big difference between them and the standard channels. If mine is suppose to upgrade that signal to 1080 it does a poor job of it. I guess its like ar15s. A 600 dollar one will do anything a 1200 dollar one will do and shot in many cases just as accurate. But if you are one of the 1 percent that can really tell the difference then the 1200 bucks is worth it to you. Im more of the 600 dollar type. At 400 dollar tv and a 100 dollar dvd player work find for my eyes. What to me lacks more in the cheap tvs then picture quality is sound quality. My ears are old and tired and I have to crank up the volume and about need a sound bar to keep the sound clean at those levels. Im sure a 2000 dollar tv would have a better and bigger amp and better speakers.

Ickisrulz
12-17-2018, 08:51 AM

Whether a person sees an improvement of 4K over 1080p is dependent on how close they set to the TV. I have 4K TV, 4K Blu-ray player and 4K movies. There is no difference over plain old Blu-ray unless you sit fairly close to the TV. Most people don't sit close enough to the screen to see a benefit.

There are very few 4K TV channels so the need for a 4K TV for a plain old TV watcher is just not there.

There is a very noticeable improvement of Blu-ray over DVD at any distance from the TV. DVDs are terrible, even when upscaled.

Lloyd Smale
01-03-2019, 09:28 AM
ok some real world experience here. Three nights ago I turned the tv on and saw lines all over the screen and could smell burnt wires. Went to Walmart then next day (I know chew me out) to buy a new set. Looked all over the net for reviews on 4k tvs (cheaper ones) and hisense seemed to have the best ratings. So I bought a 55 in smart hisense roko tv. Paid right at 400 bucks out the door for it.

Does it have a better picture then my old hd tv. Maybe but its sure not night and day. My buddy I do crop damage shooting with is a tv junky like mary. He went out and bought a new qled tv because there so much better then his oled unit and gave the old one to his daughter. He paid 3k for that tv! He happened to stop over right after my wife got the tv new one set up. I would probably still be fooling with it. When he walked in and looked at it he said its about time I bought a good expensive tv that had a good picture. When I told him what it was and what I paid he shook his head. He said at least on normal tv and netflicks it had as good of a picture as his 2k set.

Now like I said if I put the old hd set next to the new one im sure id see a bit of a difference in the picture and im sure if he put his fancy 2k tv next to mine it might have a slightly better picture too. But not 5 times the difference that he paid for his. 4k? what do I think. Not much. there isn't squat for 4k programing on dish. When we logged into net flicks with the new set it must have sensed we had a 4k tv because it offered a upgrade to 4k. told the wife what the heck we have it and what the heck is 3 bucks more a month to take advantage. Well she did it and I got looking around on netflicks and found out theres only about 30 shows on there that are 4k and none of them were any interest to me. So she got back on line and canceled it.

Ive got a perfectly good blue ray player and the only disc movies we watch are ones my son buys. he collects movies and has quite a pile of them. He only has a blue ray too and doesn't buy movies because there 4k so im not spending any money to improve on the blue ray that already does hd and looks just fine to me. What I do like is this tv came with roko. Theres enough free stuff on roko that if I would have known about it I would have paid the one time 30 bucks for roko on a tv that didn't come with it. To be honest right now I could live with an antenna for local tv and netflicks and roko. But my son is learning disabled and has an apartment out back and most of his day is watching tv and lots of the shows he watches we need dish service for.

Now to spend 2k on a tv seems a bit ridiculous to me. Tvs are mostly throw aways and don't last more then 10 years and many don't make 5. My last one made 3. Now maybe an expensive set would last longer but like I said I could buy 5 of these for the price of one qled set and id have to guess the 5 cheap ones would outlast one expensive one by a good amount. I guess I look at it like this. I got a new tv with a great picture and with the difference between it and one of those high dollar units I could buy two nice new guns. the guns will be around when my great grandkids are at the range. the tv will have been in a landfill for many years before that.

Another thing is there about obsolete if you want the best every two years. 3 years ago when I bought my last one you couldn't touch a 4k tv for under a grand and today you can find 55 inch 4k tvs for under 300 bucks. Kind of like cell phones. 5 years from now qled tvs will cost 300 bucks and some mystical new and improved one will be the one to have. I still remember when to be cool you had to have a projector tv and today there dinosaurs. Remember when to be cool you just had to have a flip phone. Then the smart phone came out and only old fuddy duddys use flip phones. Well i guess im still an old fuddy duddy because i still use mine. Its 10 years old and still works just fine. If you feel your 4k tv is amazing then why would you feel the need to step up to a oled or qled?? How amazing do you need. For 2k to me it better be able to butcher deer for me too or fly me to the farm!!! if I had my old hd tv back working and 30 bucks for a roko thing a magiggy id be happy.

Ickisrulz
01-03-2019, 11:12 AM
I still remember when to be cool you had to have a projector tv and today there dinosaurs.

What kind of projector are you thinking of? I just got a BenQ DLP projector last year. I project a 10 foot 1080P image and the experience blows away any TV out there. The cost of the projector and screen were about $900. If someone likes movies and has the room, that is the way to go.

HangFireW8
01-03-2019, 11:33 AM
Remember when 3D was the hot new thing in TV? Your set was OBSOLETE if it wasn't 3D. Well the market sure killed that. I just did a 3D TV search on Amazon and ONE 3DTV came up, old stock from 2012.

4K will fare better. On the hardware side, the 720p low-end will go away, the new low-end will be 1080p/"full hd" and the norm will become 4K. Programming will catch up, mostly, not all programming is even 1080p at the moment. I will buy a 4K TV at some point... when one of my 1080p screens die, now that prices have come down.

Cable is the worst deal in programming. I set up my HDTV antennas and was blown away by how sharp the picture was on the local news broadcast. I already had 2 settop boxes and subscriptions for them. Then when I called Comcast to cancel everything but Internet I asked them what resolution/compression their HD programming was in. I immediately got a scripted response of "OK I'll look into that but first I need to..."

"no I need to know what resolution"

"but first"

"but first"

Then I canceled cable programming.

A friend has a Fire TV stick with apps loaded that get "free" local broadcast channels. They are rebroadcasts of TV stations from hobbyists and sketchy outfits. When one App content dies or the App gets kicked off the Fire TV stick, he gets another. I guess this is OK if you're really cheap. The resolution is roughly 480p and there are significant lags and glitches. I'd rather pay for Hulu and get decent streaming content in 1080p, but he is more budget sensitive than I am, and more thrilled about the bargain of getting local stations (circumventing the broadcaster's and FCC's blackout areas) from anywhere. I get all the local stations that are local, from 2 states, but I had to climb up in the attic to do so. No lags or glitches, though.

Lloyd Smale
01-04-2019, 09:22 AM
I think 720 is already dead. I didn't see one even at Walmart. Maybe some left overs on ebay but they probably have to about give them away. Like I said even 4k 55 inch units can be bought for under 300 bucks if you catch them on sale. heck you tech nuts cant even find a phone that exceptable to you for 300 bucks and pay more then my dish bill for there phone service. Anyone in the world can call and talk to me on my flip phone that was free and the 100 bucks a year I pay for prepaid minutes and the 50 bucks a month my land line costs with unlimited long distance.
Remember when 3D was the hot new thing in TV? Your set was OBSOLETE if it wasn't 3D. Well the market sure killed that. I just did a 3D TV search on Amazon and ONE 3DTV came up, old stock from 2012.

4K will fare better. On the hardware side, the 720p low-end will go away, the new low-end will be 1080p/"full hd" and the norm will become 4K. Programming will catch up, mostly, not all programming is even 1080p at the moment. I will buy a 4K TV at some point... when one of my 1080p screens die, now that prices have come down.

Cable is the worst deal in programming. I set up my HDTV antennas and was blown away by how sharp the picture was on the local news broadcast. I already had 2 settop boxes and subscriptions for them. Then when I called Comcast to cancel everything but Internet I asked them what resolution/compression their HD programming was in. I immediately got a scripted response of "OK I'll look into that but first I need to..."

"but first"

"but first"

Then I canceled cable programming.

A friend has a Fire TV stick with apps loaded that get "free" local broadcast channels. They are rebroadcasts of TV stations from hobbyists and sketchy outfits. When one App content dies or the App gets kicked off the Fire TV stick, he gets another. I guess this is OK if you're really cheap. The resolution is roughly 480p and there are significant lags and glitches. I'd rather pay for Hulu and get decent streaming content in 1080p, but he is more budget sensitive than I am, and more thrilled about the bargain of getting local stations (circumventing the broadcaster's and FCC's blackout areas) from anywhere. I get all the local stations that are local, from 2 states, but I had to climb up in the attic to do so. No lags or glitches, though.