PDA

View Full Version : Best veterans charity?

Elkins45
12-06-2018, 03:49 PM
If someone wanted to donate to a charity that assists veterans, what would be the best choice? I know Wounded Warrior project has a pretty shady reputation and the directors used to party pretty hard on the donated funds, so they aren’t an option.

I’m thinking DAV because they help the wounded, and also because their headquarters is not too far away if I ever needed to contact them. Donating to the USO is also a possibility.

Any suggestions?

JBinMN
12-06-2018, 04:12 PM
Most every Vets organization has a Veterans Service Officer. Each state usually has one as well. Some statewide & others by county/parish/etc.. {In MN each county has one.}
They are the point of contact for any veteran who needs assistance in any way. Mostly for benefits assistance & training for jobs, etc. They would be a good place to start, as well as any American Legion, AmVets or VFW post.

Below is your Kentucky Dept. of Veterans Affairs Overview webpage. There you can likely find the contact info to perhaps contact a local Vet. Affairs Service Officer that would be able to help you directly help local vets in your particular area.
If you search around that website, you might find even more info that you might find useful.

https://veterans.ky.gov/aboutus/Pages/default.aspx

It is a good thing you are intending to do & I thank you on behalf of all veterans for that.
:)

G'Luck! & Merry Christmas too!
;)

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-06-2018, 04:20 PM
Fisher House is at the top of my list.

https://www.fisherhouse.org/?gclid=Cj0KCQiArqPgBRCRARIsAPwlHoX63WBjH73VkFPGVlD 35Gd_sqrB5DFH69qhErgLjpGdVyTMb5oBdF8aAsQqEALw_wcB

Handloader109
12-06-2018, 04:52 PM
I would find a local group that spends your money LOCALLY, without sending in to a national org. There are plenty out there. Just have to look.

Adam_Selene
12-06-2018, 08:46 PM

https://www.fisherhouse.org/?gclid=Cj0KCQiArqPgBRCRARIsAPwlHoX63WBjH73VkFPGVlD 35Gd_sqrB5DFH69qhErgLjpGdVyTMb5oBdF8aAsQqEALw_wcB

Fisher House is solid. My own interactions with the USO lead me to believe that the money is being spent wisely and well.

I personally have Special Operations Warrior Foundation on my Amazon Smile.

goodolejim
12-06-2018, 09:00 PM

Fisher House is great!!!
Semper Fi
Doc Olive

Kylongrifle32
12-06-2018, 09:27 PM
Ask around at the local VFW lodges they should be able to steer you in a good direction.
Thank you for your concern for our veterans

642nd Engineer co 1983-1987

sureYnot
12-06-2018, 09:36 PM
Ask around at the local VFW lodges they should be able to steer you in a good direction.
Thank you for your concern for our veterans

642nd Engineer co 1983-1987This. Or just follow John Burk. He'll do all the investigation. Prepare to be offended. But he makes taking care of our vets a priority.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

WarEagleEd
12-07-2018, 12:08 AM
You can look up a charity on Charity Navigator (https://www.charitynavigator.org/), but they only list 501(c)(3) charities. Apparently, DAV is a 501(c)(4).

They rate charities using a 4 star scale. They rate them on "Accountability & Transparency" and "Financial." They break those categories down even further, for a specific charity, toward the bottom of the page.

DAV has a number of offices in each state (there are at least 3 different offices in KY). But, I'm not certain where a donation goes/what route it takes. Does it go to a central/national HQ and then get redistributed to states? Does it go just to a state HQ and get distributed within the state?

abunaitoo
12-07-2018, 03:05 AM
Watch out for scams.
We've had a few here.
90% of donations went to "administrative cost".

jonp
12-07-2018, 05:13 AM
abunaitoo is on the money. Always use a site like Charity Navigator. I stay away from Wounded Warrior due to past issues with their administrative costs.

There are many out there that are top notch. Fischer House is fantastic. The USO has one in every airport I'm aware of that gives traveling vets a place to rest between flights. They can always use donations like food, toiletries, etc for our soldiers. We call them every few months and ask what they need at the local airport location and get a list from them. Canned tuna and bread for sandwiches, dishwashing liquid, snacks etc and buy it on the way.

Slightly different but I donate to Team Rubicon on a monthly basis. They are disaster relief group made up of Veterans that travel all over to provide on the ground relief to disaster areas like clean-up, building repair etc.

"Disasters are our business. Veterans are our passion" https://teamrubiconusa.org/

owejia
12-07-2018, 10:08 AM
Look local there are many old vets that need assistance, maybe just driving them to a VA appointment or a hot meal delivered to them.

jonp
12-07-2018, 07:30 PM
Look local there are many old vets that need assistance, maybe just driving them to a VA appointment or a hot meal delivered to them.

Indeed. https://www.dav.org/veterans/i-need-a-ride/

chsparkman
12-07-2018, 08:12 PM
I'm a volunteer for Project Healing Waters Fly Fishing. We are in every state and several countries, serving wounded veterans by introducing them to fly tying, fly rod building, casting, and of course fly fishing. Our organization has only a handful of paid employees, but thousands of volunteers like myself. The greater proportion of donations goes directly to the servicemen and veterans whom we serve. We have participants who have served in every conflict since WWII. Read about us at

https://projecthealingwaters.org/

Thanks,
Chris Sparkman
Asst. Project Lead
Project Healing Waters Fly Fishing - Ft. Belvoir

fiberoptik
12-08-2018, 12:08 AM
If someone wanted to donate to a charity that assists veterans, what would be the best choice? I know Wounded Warrior project has a pretty shady reputation and the directors used to party pretty hard on the donated funds, so they aren’t an option.

I’m thinking DAV because they help the wounded, ……Donating to the USO is also a possibility.
Any suggestions?

I can say that WW has a big fancy building in the expensive area here in Jacksonville. It’s Very luxurious looking. The commercials are on alot, but I haven’t met anyone actually helped by them, & hear of those given only a blanket instead of help. For this I took them off my Facebook page.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gwpercle
12-08-2018, 10:36 AM
I would find a local group that spends your money LOCALLY, without sending in to a national org. There are plenty out there. Just have to look.
Donate to a local group.
When my Dad (WWII Navy vet ) passed the funeral home notified a local group who furnished an American Flag for his casket , they played taps , folded the flag and presented it to me...It was so moving and appreciated...I cried . Call your local funeral home and find out where to make a donation to this organization that provides a beautiful send off to our veterans . Our family wasn't charged a dime....so we made a donation to them directly.

Gary

RugerFan
12-08-2018, 10:47 AM
I'm a volunteer for Project Healing Waters Fly Fishing. We are in every state and several countries, serving wounded veterans by introducing them to fly tying, fly rod building, casting, and of course fly fishing. Our organization has only a handful of paid employees, but thousands of volunteers like myself. The greater proportion of donations goes directly to the servicemen and veterans whom we serve. We have participants who have served in every conflict since WWII. Read about us at

https://projecthealingwaters.org/

Thanks,
Chris Sparkman
Asst. Project Lead
Project Healing Waters Fly Fishing - Ft. Belvoir

Yes, Project Healing Waters is an excellent organization! I have donated to them before.

missionary5155
12-08-2018, 10:58 AM
If you have some extra time … see what you can do personally.
When we are up north I go see one 90 year old vet weekly and sit with him for a couple hours and just talk.
A second I see twice a month.. again just talk.
I will also do simple jobs they need done. Haul them to the store. No regrets with the time involved.

Kraschenbirn
12-08-2018, 11:04 AM
American Legion. Here, we're 35 miles from a VA med center and the Legion runs a (free!) shuttle service for vets who need it. Also, as described in a previous post, Legion provides uniformed 'Honor Guard' for veteran's funerals at no expense to families.

Bill

dpoe001
12-08-2018, 11:17 AM
Check with your local VFW.Our local VFW will give medical items everything from walkers to hospital beds free of charge to vets.

chsparkman
12-08-2018, 02:20 PM
Yes, Project Healing Waters is an excellent organization! I have donated to them before.

RugerFan - Thank you!

Houndog
12-08-2018, 03:53 PM
A few years ago my gun club held a benefit rifle shoot for Wounded Warrior Project with 100% of the money going to them. They returned our check with a letter stating they didn't accept money from gun related orgs! They will NEVER see another dime from me nor will I participate in anything with their name attached to it.

Shriner's Children's Hospital and Saint Jude Children's Hospital get the biggest part of my charitable donations any more. I KNOW my money gets to where it needs to go.

Kraschenbirn
12-08-2018, 07:44 PM
A few years ago my gun club held a benefit rifle shoot for Wounded Warrior Project with 100% of the money going to them. They returned our check with a letter stating they didn't accept money from gun related orgs! They will NEVER see another dime from me nor will I participate in anything with their name attached to it...

Very interesting. One of our range officers...former Marine NCO...is very active in Wounded Warrior Project and, for the last couple years, has been pushing for the club to install 'handicap access' for our high-power rifle line (estimated cost in the neighborhood of $30K) so that he can bring some of the vets he works with out to shoot. Wonder if he knows that our money isn't 'acceptable' to WWP? Btw, about half our membership are veterans, some with service-related disabilities, and get along quite well with our current arrangement.

Bill

11th Air Assault Gp
1st Cavalry Div (airmobile)
RVN '66, '67, '68

Idaho45guy
12-08-2018, 08:50 PM
A few years ago my gun club held a benefit rifle shoot for Wounded Warrior Project with 100% of the money going to them. They returned our check with a letter stating they didn't accept money from gun related orgs! They will NEVER see another dime from me nor will I participate in anything with their name attached to it.

Shriner's Children's Hospital and Saint Jude Children's Hospital get the biggest part of my charitable donations any more. I KNOW my money gets to where it needs to go.

I worked with a guy that quit to go work with Wounded Warriors. He was always updating his status on Facebook with pictures of him fishing or kayaking with vets in very posh locations.

He lasted maybe a couple of years before he quit citing "philosophical differences". He was a very honest and dedicated former Air Force guy, so I guess his conscience got the better of him. No more links or references to WW on his page.

shell70634
12-08-2018, 09:00 PM
I give to the EOD Warrior Foundation, http://www.eodwarriorfoundation.org/. They spend about 10 percent on administration, which I believe to be to high, but some of my friends have been helped by them.

jonp
12-08-2018, 09:24 PM

Not the first time I've heard that which Is why I steer clear of them

AZ Pete
12-08-2018, 10:53 PM
Folds of Honor is worth a look also.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

alamogunr
12-09-2018, 12:28 AM
I have donated to Fisher House a couple of times. Got started when our grandson sent us a letter that his college fraternity was supporting Fisher House and was appealing to family to donate. I looked it up on Charity Navigator and was impressed so donated.

I have also donated to DAV and USO after investigating their use of donations. Sorry to say I can't support all worthy causes but at present most of my charitable donations go to St. Jude Children's Research Hospital and a couple of semi-local children's homes.

trails4u
12-09-2018, 01:36 AM
Worked with WWF once.... They offered up $100 'donation' to support a duck hunt we were hosting for DAVs. Once we accepted the 'donation', they pretty much showed up with the cameras, microphones and pretty faces and basically attempted to hijack the entire weekend affair. It was unsettling to say the least, as the intent was clearly publicity and not about the cause. (Bad word for an ill-mannered woman) had the audacity to bust out a recorder and try to get supportive commentary from our guests during a dinner we had all just prepared together, just prayed over, and just sat down together to enjoy. Her entire contribution to said dinner was taking pictures. I'm not a fan....

Mr_Sheesh
12-09-2018, 06:38 AM
About all I can afford currently is to give a Vet friend (I've known him since '72) rides as needed, Navy Vet. I need more budget so I can help more...

Idaho45guy
12-09-2018, 07:47 AM
About all I can afford currently is to give a Vet friend (I've known him since '72) rides as needed, Navy Vet. I need more budget so I can help more...

That's more than most do; definitely more than I've done lately. You should be proud.

Smoke4320
12-09-2018, 08:49 AM
As a business owner I have had several experiences raising money for WW before stuff hit the fan. Found out they were anti gun at least locally and became terrible to work with. They will never get another dime from me

Echo
12-09-2018, 12:13 PM
I donate to AmLeg, VFW, DAV, USO, and a local Veterans Aid Program. Member of AL Post 36 here in Tucson...

jonp
12-09-2018, 12:48 PM

That's enough. Money is not the end all be all. Thank you for doing it.

If your short on funds but have a little time Patriot Guard Riders is a great organization. You don't need a motorcycle to participate. Standing at Vet's funerals with a flag to honor his/her service is gratifying. Several times the Vet had no-one there but us to stand for him.

El Bibliotecario
12-10-2018, 12:30 AM
https://www.militaryblood.dod.mil/
Armed Services Blood Program. A military-run program. Blood product collected is used to treat active duty military and dependents. Limited to locale--check the website to see if there is a donor center near you. Donor centers often go on the road for blood drives. Some restrictions if prospective donor is taking certain medications.
For what its worth...the Red Cross sells their product to the military

https://www.aerhq.org/
Army Emergency Relief. A military-run program. Website explains how funds are used for active duty troops.

These programs may not be your cup of tea, but unlike some private sector programs, there is no question about their integrity.

KYCaster
12-10-2018, 01:30 AM
https://usacares.org/

https://www.honoredveterans.org/

https://www.mission22.com/#ourcause

gwpercle
12-10-2018, 05:39 PM
American Legion. Here, we're 35 miles from a VA med center and the Legion runs a (free!) shuttle service for vets who need it. Also, as described in a previous post, Legion provides uniformed 'Honor Guard' for veteran's funerals at no expense to families.

Bill

American Legion ! That's it... Thanks for providing such a very moving and beautiful service , I will alway's remember it .
Donate to this wonderful organization .
God Bless All Our Veterans ,
Gary

Elkins45
12-14-2018, 01:10 AM
Thanks for all of the input. There are several of the organizations you suggested that I'd never heard of.

quilbilly
12-14-2018, 03:04 PM
I would say the DAV is very good since, even out here it a more remote part of the Olympic Peninsula, I see their vans around daily taking vets to the VA, delivering meals to homebound, etc., not just around the big city.

hornsurgeon
12-14-2018, 11:30 PM
not specifically a charity, but if you ever want to have an enjoyable evening thanking vets, take $100 and go down to the vfw or american legion. buy a veteran a drink and have a conversation with him/her. i guarantee itll be the best $100 you ever spent.

Adam_Selene
12-14-2018, 11:44 PM
Shapiro mentioned this one the other day (and reminded me). I neglected to include them in the original: https://www.garysinisefoundation.org/

https://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=17612

Firebricker
12-15-2018, 07:56 PM
Stockhands Horses for Healing.
Stockhands is a nonprofit that does equine therapy for kids and adults with physical and mental disabilities. We have other programs including our Veterans program. We are local to the central Ohio area. They meet twice a month and work horses. And we have had a group show at the Quarter horse Congress. Just to be clear I am not a veteran so I am not part of the group. One of my best friends is the cofounder and U.S.M.C. veteran. We are currently trying to expand our cart/driving portion. There are members that have difficulty mounting a horse. So the driving program give them the direct connection with the horse but easier on the body. Anyway I wanted to list it here. There is a lot of information on the FB page. Also one of the things as a non profit is we have an open book policy. We have our financial records open at all events. So if you donate to can easily see where your money went. FB

Rick Hodges
12-15-2018, 08:32 PM
Did I miss seeing mention of the Purple Heart? They have always been up front with helping and providing employment for disabled Vets in this area.

popper
12-15-2018, 09:00 PM
go down to the vfw or american legion.
Tried that a couple times in Ne, couldn't get them to stop putting beers in front of me.
Wreaths across America is having trouble getting donations for next year. Am Leg, DAV, USO, Sinise, etc. are good dependable ones.