PDA

View Full Version : What have you learned about boolits this year

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-02-2018, 02:33 PM
We are nearing the end of 2018.
Some of us come to this website everyday, some less often but still quite regularly...anyway, What is the most memorable boolit-related hint-tip-trick that you learned this year?

Walks
12-02-2018, 03:17 PM
I've learned a lot, I think.
N.O.E. & ACCURATE both make GREAT molds and have GREAT Customer Service.
I've learned wood shavings/sawdust can cut down on oxidation.
I've learned that not all aluminum molds are crappy. Just lube them right and cast/close gently.
You can't cast as fast as iron/steel ( frosted bullets ) but you can cast from aluminum and produce good bullets.
I've learned to pay better attention when reassembling a mold sprue plate, SO YOU DON'T PUT WASHERS UNDER THE SPRUE PLATE, THAT BELONG ON TOP. SO YOU DON'T HAVE TO GO TO THE EXPENSE OF RETURNING IT TO THE MANUFACTURER FOR REPAIR, WASTING BOTH YOUR MONEY AND HIS VALUABLE TIME.
That after 60 years when you take a 10 year break, you can forget a GREAT deal of the small basic tricks that you spent 50 years learning. And have to stumble forward to learn again.

And finally I've learned about Powder Coating. Which I've yet to do, have Toaster Convection Oven, bullets, LEE sizer dies and am waiting for My order of Powder & black BB's from Smoke.

I've learned a lot this year.

sureYnot
12-02-2018, 03:42 PM
I learned that, if you care at all about your friends, you won't let them start their casting careers with AR15's and 9mm's.

I enjoyed the journey. But I'm somewhat of a masochist, I guess. Had a few gawdawful, painful weeks in there.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

FredBuddy
12-02-2018, 03:49 PM
The NOE .310/.313 neck sizer and the Redding
taper crimp die are the perfect solution to loading
boolits in 6 different and fussy 30-30's.

reddog81
12-02-2018, 04:17 PM
I learned that MiHec 8 cavity molds can knock out a lot of quality bullets very quickly. I picked up 2 of them this year and they have been nice additions to my mold collection. Great for 9mm rounds that seem to devour bullets very quickly.

flyingmonkey35
12-02-2018, 04:32 PM
I learned the my 45 Colt likes large cast lubbed black powder rounds. Or I do.

That cast iron molds are fantastic.

That a bad barrel will lead no matter what you put through it.

And that I sitll want to spend more money on equipment that I don't need but want to have.

BT sniper I'm looking at you for your BT simple 22 swaging dies. Drool.

Sent from my N9560 using Tapatalk

ShooterAZ
12-02-2018, 04:36 PM
I learned that the Lee TL314-90 is a fantastic mold for VERY accurate plinking/small game loads in any 30-31 caliber rifle. I have cast, loaded and shot thousands of them over the course of this past year. Miles of Smiles with that one. I've also learned that LVR powder is a real winner in the 30-30 Winchester with the 311041 boolit. I learned to avoid high tin content alloys when casting with my brass molds. I learned how to paper patch cast boolits. I learned how to "master" casting and loading for my Mosin Nagant rifle, long story on that one. I also learned that N110 is a great powder in my M1 Carbine with cast boolits.

Big Boomer
12-02-2018, 05:35 PM
Have read for some time about powder coating and learned from the experiences of others … and got into PC myself. Unless something unforeseen comes up, I'm done with traditional lubing. However, I do still like and use my Stars but the handles are a little short for high BHN lead alloys. Big Boomer P. S. Also learned with PC I can mix 50/50 WW/Stick-On with a little tin and it doesn't make any difference at the target.

Tom W.
12-02-2018, 05:40 PM
I've learned that finger lubing my 30 cal boolits with any hard lube or semi hard lube, while a PITA, and after sizing them and putting on a g/c, tumbling them in JPW and allowing them to dry for a day or two will NOT allow leading in my barrels.

WheelgunConvert
12-02-2018, 06:21 PM
most 9mm arms...aren’t

Jack Stanley
12-02-2018, 06:27 PM
I've learned that leaving retirement and joining the work force again really messes with my shooting time .

Jack

Minerat
12-02-2018, 07:45 PM
I learned that tumbling commercial hard cast bullets with BLL makes them more palatable in my pistols and that Smokes PC powder works great. Also it does not take much time to reach the NOE $1000 club.

gwpercle
12-02-2018, 07:56 PM
Cast boolits in the 9mm Luger can be successfully accomplished if you spend enough time , money and use enough curse words. The 9mm tends to throw all kinds of curves at you like new guns with little or no throat , bore diameters all over the map. As cast boolit diameters all over the map . The tapered case doesn't like carbide sizers and minimum starting charges usually will not cycle the action.
OAL's that must be worked out for every pistol loaded for...no two being the same.
The 9mm Luger is a Stinker !
But with enough time and effort it can be all worked out....

The most important thing I've learned is a WWII era Walther P38 is the easiest 9mm Luger auto pistol to reload for...any boolit shape , any reasonable OAL & it will feed.
Load enough powder under any boolit and it will feed, fire and cycle like a champ....not one hang up !
And it's just as accurate as any modern plastic wonder nine .

Gary

rintinglen
12-02-2018, 08:33 PM
That 85 grain bullets disappear quickly when loaded in 30 M-1 cases.:-P
That the .327 cartridge is wonderful.
That old bones don't like big recoil, and "big" gets smaller every year...

Tom W.
12-02-2018, 09:31 PM
Ain't that the truth! I'm enjoying shooting low recoil fire forming loads more and more.....

Outpost75
12-02-2018, 11:11 PM
I learned that loading Magtech 158 LRN .38 Special boolits BACKWARDS as a flush-seated, cup based wadcutter, at 1.150" OAL with ONE GRAIN of Bullseye, Titegroup, WST or 452AA makes a "silent without supressor" aka "Cat Sneeze" load for .38/.357 rifles which when from a 24" Cowboy rifle is no louder than an air rifle, and from a revolver can be shot without ear protection, being no louder than a cap pistol. Just the ticket for garden varmints or backyard practice without disturbing the neighbors!

dverna
12-02-2018, 11:17 PM
I have learned to be humble....

Texas by God
12-02-2018, 11:22 PM
I learned that the 8x57 Mauser is a cast boolit natural and the 9mm Luger and .300 BO are not.(for me)[emoji58]
The 38-55 is awesome as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

StuBach
12-02-2018, 11:37 PM
I continue to learn that this cost saving hobby, costs a lot.

More than sharing my learnings though I would like to share my gratitude for all that I have learned. This is a fantastic community which constantly teaches me new things and I can’t express how much I appreciate it,... despite the expense of all these group buys I keep getting suckered into.

In a pinch learning though, if you are in need of alternative powder containers: baby formula containers (powder or liquid) are made from the same plastic as manufacturers containers and are readily available from your closest friend/family/neighbor with a newborn.

waco
12-03-2018, 12:33 AM
I have learned a lot about boolit alloy, fit, and matching pressure to alloy bhn. High speed (2300-2600fps) is doable with acceptable accuracy in a faster(1-10) twist if done correctly.
For me, powder coat is more useful in handgun rounds and not rifles.

44Blam
12-03-2018, 01:16 AM
I learned that:
1) Pat Marlin's CFF is awesome flux that really makes casting more enjoyable.
2) You should phrase "What should I shoot at the competition" as "What should I shoot IN the competition"
3) Chronoing your boolits when testing tells you quite a bit about your load/etc.
4) Powder coat is great for big bore and pistol rounds. Also it can be applied at lower temps than advertised, but not too low. Seems like 300 degrees is best for lead hardness and still good for PC cure.

Petander
12-03-2018, 10:03 AM
I learned about Hi-Tek coating. There was a learning curve,my WW-based alloy has contaminants.

Coating got me back to casting after a break, especially for big bore rifles.

44Blam
12-04-2018, 12:57 AM
I learned about Hi-Tek coating. There was a learning curve,my WW-based alloy has contaminants.

Coating got me back to casting after a break, especially for big bore rifles.

What are the boolits that are 3rd and 4th from the left?

Harter66
12-04-2018, 09:01 AM
My learning hasn't been what some have gained .
I have proofed twist , RPM T , whatever it's called , is a thing with 5 rifles in 2 cartridges , 1 caliber , and 3 twists . At least it's proofed to me .
I've learned that I should have just stayed with the 458193 for the 45-70 because the other 4 moulds haven't advanced it or improved upon that bullet at all and are far more picky about loads .
I learned that Minies will shoot in twists far slower than they should .
I learned that it's a lot more fun to just load and shoot loads that are good enough for what you're doing than it is to agonize over getting that last little bit of whatever out of every single load .

Orchard6
12-04-2018, 01:38 PM
I’ve learned that I no longer need to be a He-Man and shoot full weenie loads at paper and steel targets. I’m much more accurate with standard loads and that most of my loads are more accurate than I am. Evidently the wing nut yanking the trigger is the weak link in my setup!

JBinMN
12-04-2018, 01:58 PM
I have been thinking on this since you posted the topic & I can't pick just one thing that was the "most memorable". I spend a lot of time reading on CB.GL forums & in particular in the archives.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/archive/index.php/f-8.html

So, I have covered a lot of ground in a lot of subjects since I joined. Hard to choose just one, even in just the last year.

One topic I have spent more time on, than many others is the use of, "fillers" in cartridges. But, I cannot say what I am learning is "most" memorable.

If I do think of one subject in particular that pops into my head, I will come back & share it though.
:)

Interesting topic, and glad that ya posted it. I enjoy reading what others might share as their most memorable subjects. Might even send me down another rabbit hole in search of more info.
;)

Land Owner
12-04-2018, 03:01 PM
Lead is liquid, soft, medium, hard, very hard, wet, dry, warm, hot, scalding, scary and fanciful if dunked in the pot when wet, active when loaded, very active when shot, deadly if received in its "very active" state on purpose, poisonous, safe to handle, and inert when just lying there. Its potential energy is zero at one instant and thousands of foot-pounds in another. These are just SOME of the mysteries of boolits.

gwpercle
12-04-2018, 04:19 PM
I learned I like NOE moulds way too much...and they are habit forming...crack habit type addiction !
Gary

sigep1764
12-04-2018, 08:21 PM
I learned that starting to cast and load for a second caliber is not nearly as hard as the first one was. The third was even easier. And the third was for a rifle!

I found the beauty of old Lyman/Ideal molds.

Discovered the 310 tool with the help of a couple guys on this here forum, one of which I found out was married to someone I went to high school with.

I learned that single stage presses are just as fun as progressives.

Bought my first gas check making tool and found my homemade checks to be every bit as effective as purchased ones.

Discovered that teaching casting to someone while taking patience and time, is rewarding and worth it.

Shopdog
12-04-2018, 08:23 PM
Bought a cpl things off the site this year. Very good transactions so,reconfirming that there are great folks on here willing to share and help out.

JMax
12-04-2018, 09:02 PM
I have learned to use steel shot as an oxygen barrier when casting. I use a fine sieve to separate graphite and any metal oxides from the shot at the end of each casting session. Either old lubed bullets or candle wax to flux when I refil the pot protected with the shot.

Chad5005
12-04-2018, 09:27 PM
i have learned a lot of things about casting this year,most from the great people on this sight that always seem willing to help if you ask and a lot from reading stickies on here,coww is my favorite lead for plinking,softer lead for hunting and smokes powder cant be beat

sawinredneck
12-04-2018, 09:54 PM
I’ve learned,
Again how great the members of this site are!
9mm is miserable when trying to load for several guns.
The NOE sizing die setup is worth its weight in gold!
I need to buy another .357mag because I’ve got molds, dies, sizers for it and sold the gun!!

Adam20
12-04-2018, 10:52 PM
20 gauge round ball loading. There is lots of things that I pick up on, it’s a continuous learning with pitfalls avoided by everyone graciously sharing knowledge. Thank you everyone.

and the green dot next to user name mean the person is online (learned that today)

higgins
12-05-2018, 12:36 AM
most 9mm arms...aren’t

WheelgunConvert and a couple of others beat me to it. And I thought their bores were supposed to be .355. Beretta tells me that their max. groove spec. is 9.1mm, or 0.3582677 in. according to the Google conversion calculator. who woulda thunk it?

David2011
12-05-2018, 02:43 AM
Learned I should have started powder coating a long time ago.

dale2242
12-05-2018, 06:36 AM
I discovered Big Toms 3D printed primer catchers here.
I bought one . They are one of the greatest ideas since sliced bread.
No more spent primers on the loading room floor.
They just go into a clean used milk jug....dale

Petander
12-05-2018, 09:26 AM
What are the boolits that are 3rd and 4th from the left?

They are Lyman 311679's.

mattw
12-05-2018, 10:25 AM
I have learned to further hate casting and loading for 9mm's after again adding another to the stable. I am learning to like PC boolits, but the variance in thickness of coatings between colors is something I am starting to take advantage of or at least not get screwed by. I started loading and casting for 32 ACP this year, that has been a bit of a learning curve. The Kel-tec P32 is easy to load for, other than the tiny charges. The CZ70 is a PITA, with no lead into the rifling. But, a modified Lee mould was the ticket for that. Finally, I have accepted that I love to cast and reload to much as I looked around the reloading room the other day. I am truly ready for the zombie's to invade!

Love y'all and it has been another good year here!

JoeJames
12-05-2018, 01:42 PM
Ive learned with cast boolits that 1/1000th of an inch, ie., .430 to .431, can cause a measurable increase in velocity with the same exact powder charge. And learned that a chronograph is a necessity and not just a luxury.

trixter
12-06-2018, 01:49 PM
I’ve learned that I no longer need to be a He-Man and shoot full weenie loads at paper and steel targets. I’m much more accurate with standard loads and that most of my loads are more accurate than I am. Evidently the wing nut yanking the trigger is the weak link in my setup!

That would be me also, thanks for the reminder.

Silvercreek Farmer
12-07-2018, 10:17 AM
Powder coating mostly solved a SP101 binding problem by keeping the cylinder face and cylinder pivot cleaner. 375F (measured with 2 oven thermometers) and 20 minutes seems to work much better than 400F with Harbor Freight Red. The boolits break up much easier, and don't leave bald spots. Powder opened a year ago and stored in a damp basement sticks fine if the boolits are still slightly warm (not hot!) from casting.

RCBS X dies make me much more willing to load bottleneck cartridges.

A whitetail hit in the pump room with a .432 boolit still might not leave a blood trail.