PDA

View Full Version : Model 1 sales, AR-15 ??

Halfbreed
10-04-2008, 10:48 AM
O.K. everybody, does anybody know anything about model 1 sales? Quality, reliability, customer service?
I am looking to buy my first AR-15 kit, I have friends who are going to help me with the lower build, they have all the tools and experience.
I will be going to the range tomorrow, and asking them questions too.
I am specifically looking at the 20" varmint kit

http://www.model1sales.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=KV2000&storeid=1&image=V20k.gif

I am going to put a 3200elite mil-dot on it, as I already have this and the Harris bi-pod.
Any thoughts on this will be appreciated.
thanks, John

mike in co
10-04-2008, 11:37 AM
if you are going to use a quality scope, why not the same quality rifle(kit) ? my advice would to move up to a rock river /armalite/ bushmaster. stay away from chrome lined bores. if a dedicated varmit gun, get a 1/12,(1/10, 1/9...maybe a 1/8). 12 twist is great for lite bullets up to 55...maybe 60.
universal gun...1/8
mike in co

trickyasafox
10-04-2008, 12:30 PM
I've heard mixed things about Model 1 sales- Though I have never used them. Mike in Co made some good suggestions- if you have the money, the advice I was given is 'stick to the ABCD's and Rs of ARs- Armalite- bushmaster- colt, DPMS, Rock River.

I have used Del-Ton with succcess- but I don't know if they have a varmint style kit like you want.

S.R.Custom
10-04-2008, 01:22 PM
About 10 years ago I bought a bunch of stuff from them for my Bushmaster-- a 2-stage trigger, barrel, hand guard, etc... and found their stuff to be as good as anyone's. I'd buy from them again, assuming things haven't gone downhill since then.

Chrome lined barrels get a bad rap for being innacurate. Like anything else, it all depends on who made it, leade length, etc. I rather liked the one on my Bushmaster-- it would give me 3/4" at 100 yards, easily, and it didn't seem to copper-foul as badly as some "target" barrels I've had.

bruce drake
10-04-2008, 01:35 PM
I bought a Model 1 Service Rifle after my last deployment chambered in 223 Remington and with a 1/9 barrel. It shoots very well and I never have had a problem with it. I use it for Across The Course NRA Matches (out to 600 yards) with good enough for me scores.

Bruce

Sprue
10-04-2008, 02:26 PM
I would stick to the major name types; Bushy, RRA, Colt etc..
you get what you pay for. Resale value should also be considered.

If you don't clean your rifle after each use, then a chrome bbl is a must.

If you want the best accuracy then go with un-chromed w/223 chamber and an aftermarket trigger group.

If for general use and plinking go chromed with 5.56 chamber which is the most common out there. I preffer a 1/9 chrome lined 5.56. They are plenty accurate for my use. Regardless figure on getting a good trigger group.

mike in co
10-04-2008, 03:38 PM
i dont reccommend, nor buy COLT parts.
about 20 years ago colt attempted to sell YOUR GUN RIGTHS for the right to stay in bussiness.
that type of behavior can NEVER be forgiven.

abr........armalite,bushmaster, rockriver

mike in co

dk17hmr
10-04-2008, 04:07 PM
My 6.8 SPC is a Model 1 sales barrel on a CMT upper reciever. Although it is fairly accurate I dont recommend them. If you are building the upper, I would get a CMT receiver flat top forward assist the works for about $100 and if you have the coin get a Kreiger barrel. My dads Kreiger barreled AR-15 shoots around 3" at 500 yards.

I also have a DPMS 16" heavy barrel that shoots very nice and it is kinda nice to carry.

bullshot
10-04-2008, 06:18 PM
Halfbreed
I bought two Model 1 Kits, one in 7.62X39 and one in 6.8 SPC. Both have stag lowers. The 7.62X39 shoots very well 1-1/2 in 100 yds the 6.8 not so well but acceptable. I have a Rock River National Match, A Colt Match Target and a DPMS National Match, all complete rifles in 223.The Rock River shoots just like advertised 3/4 in at 100 yds. The other two are just ok. Although I have not had problems with the Model 1's as far as function. They are mil spec parts which for spray and pray are fine. If your looking for guaranteed accuracy buy the Rock River or something else that guarantees accuracy. I also agree you get what you pay for. Little things on the Model 1's like having the rear sight not centered because the front sight is not absolutely vertical.
Good luck in whatever you choose.

Blammer
10-04-2008, 07:09 PM
personally I'd use del-ton and never look back.

corvette8n
10-05-2008, 07:27 PM
There are very few manufacturers of the actual lowers, most only machine the blanks, on the http://www.oa2.org/forums/index.php there is a list somewhere of the companies that make lowers. As long as you buy a mil-spec machined lower you should have no problem. It all comes down to who has the best customer service. Me I have an Olympic Arms complete rifle, and a Double Star lower I bought at a gun show, LPK came from MidwayUSA, the upper came from StagArms I got a lefty. The lower is easy to put together search youtube for the video.
AR15.com also has a PDF document on step by step assembly.