PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to Florida

Pine Baron
11-30-2018, 07:00 PM
I'll be in Florida this week and was wondering if any of my Castboolit compadres are in the Port Saint Lucie area? It might be nice to put a face to some of the good folks on here. Any way if anyone wants to grab a coffee, swap some tall tales, or show off some hardware, PM me.

dannyd
11-30-2018, 07:50 PM
That's what we need is one more northern down here ;)

Pine Baron
11-30-2018, 07:55 PM

Hey, I'm from SOUTH Jersey.��

3leggedturtle
11-30-2018, 08:09 PM

I’m staying home this winter so that frees up an extra spot for him!

dannyd
11-30-2018, 09:01 PM
The US Navy had a base at Staten Island in the 90's. We would fly into Newark and take a bus over. A blind man would know he was in Newark. Back in 60's family would go to Wildwood, Ocean City and Atlantic City. Lived in Florida for over 40 years it grows on you.

Tom W.
11-30-2018, 09:03 PM
Not me... I escaped after 3 months.

Didn't care for Upstate N.Y. either....

MyFlatline
11-30-2018, 09:31 PM
The US Navy had a base at Staten Island in the 90's. We would fly into Newark and take a bus over. A blind man would know he was in Newark. Back in 60's family would go to Wildwood, Ocean City and Atlantic City. Lived in Florida for over 40 years it grows on you.

Pushing 57 years, I'm getting tired of the Tourist and the Government that caters to the tourist's.. I'm looking to move the first real chance I get. Cook all of them Manatee's..

dannyd
11-30-2018, 10:21 PM
Pushing 57 years, I'm getting tired of the Tourist and the Government that caters to the tourist's.. I'm looking to move the first real chance I get. Cook all of them Manatee's..

I love it down your way, but your right.

woodbutcher
11-30-2018, 10:27 PM
:lol: Hi Flatline.My Dad said that Manatee was very good eating.Ate it a few times before the war.The FIRST WORLD WAR that is.Family lives over in Vero Beach.Has been there since 1916.
Good luck Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

MyFlatline
12-01-2018, 07:50 AM
:lol: Hi Flatline.My Dad said that Manatee was very good eating.Ate it a few times before the war.The FIRST WORLD WAR that is.Family lives over in Vero Beach.Has been there since 1916.
Good luck Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

Yes, they were still being roasted on the spits here in the 50's. I had some shirts made up that said

" Save the Manatee, the leftovers are delicious" Sold over 300 of them

Finster101
12-01-2018, 07:54 PM
Old Timers around Pine Island say they taste a lot like beef!

MyFlatline
12-01-2018, 08:13 PM
Old Timers around Pine Island say they taste a lot like beef!

Veal,,,,:) Sea Cow, is what they were named, appropriately might I add..[smilie=1:

jsizemore
12-03-2018, 12:13 AM
Hey, I'm from SOUTH Jersey.��

There's lots of folks that live in Fla that say that.

When they stopped in North Fla and complained that it got cold in the winter, We'd tell them to keep on heading south.

hanleyfan
12-03-2018, 03:37 PM
This is one old Bird that loves the cold weather, you won't see me going south where it is hot and humid! I think it gets too hot and humid here in ohio at times.

RogerDat
12-03-2018, 03:56 PM
We at least have 3 months of almost no mosquitos here in the great white north. Besides I hate driving in Fla. 1/3 of the people should not be driving unless stopping on freeway entry ramps to make a "right turn" rather than merge is somehow proper. Another 1/3 have no clue where they are or were they are going, they are going 25 mph looking for street signs or addresses or lane change sans blinker across 4 lanes of traffic, tourist and terrorist sound a lot alike especially on 19. My guess is everyone else who lives there is so fed up with the first two groups that they have developed a coping mechanism, drive like a homicidal maniac while taking advantage of the fact that they sell beer in gas stations.

I also like swimming in the great lakes better, I might drown but at least until then I am still at the top of the food chain even in the water. If your car windows can explode from the heat if you don't leave them open a crack you are probably not in a place where god designed it for humans let alone large crowds of people. Leaving windows open even a crack during the daily monsoon just means your car is as steamy as outside even with AC on. Rain will not cool it off enough to prevent any and all plastic items in car from melting. Yankees go there to destroy CD & DVD music collections by leaving them in car or on picnic table that falls into sinkhole.

Family is down there. And short visits are ok but after a few good seafood dinners and lunches I'm ready to head back where we have seasons.

dannyd
12-03-2018, 06:06 PM
We at least have 3 months of almost no mosquitos here in the great white north. Besides I hate driving in Fla. 1/3 of the people should not be driving unless stopping on freeway entry ramps to make a "right turn" rather than merge is somehow proper. Another 1/3 have no clue where they are or were they are going, they are going 25 mph looking for street signs or addresses or lane change sans blinker across 4 lanes of traffic, tourist and terrorist sound a lot alike especially on 19. My guess is everyone else who lives there is so fed up with the first two groups that they have developed a coping mechanism, drive like a homicidal maniac while taking advantage of the fact that they sell beer in gas stations.

I also like swimming in the great lakes better, I might drown but at least until then I am still at the top of the food chain even in the water. If your car windows can explode from the heat if you don't leave them open a crack you are probably not in a place where god designed it for humans let alone large crowds of people. Leaving windows open even a crack during the daily monsoon just means your car is as steamy as outside even with AC on. Rain will not cool it off enough to prevent any and all plastic items in car from melting. Yankees go there to destroy CD & DVD music collections by leaving them in car or on picnic table that falls into sinkhole.

Family is down there. And short visits are ok but after a few good seafood dinners and lunches I'm ready to head back where we have seasons.

Thank you for wanting to stay up north, now if you can get the other northerners to go with you that would be great. :)

dannyd
12-03-2018, 06:08 PM
This is one old Bird that loves the cold weather, you won't see me going south where it is hot and humid! I think it gets too hot and humid here in ohio at times.

Thank you :)

MyFlatline
12-03-2018, 06:30 PM
^^^^ That's funny Danny...:redneck:

Humidity hasn't been bad today, 97% all day..[smilie=l:

dannyd
12-03-2018, 06:41 PM
On a more serious note I would like to thank everyone from up north. When I joined the Navy northerners went out of way to tell me everything that I was doing wrong over and over again. ;)

RogerDat
12-03-2018, 07:30 PM
I try to do what I can to keep the species in their own habitat. Besides ya'll in FLA have an issue with fresh water and I wouldn't want to make it worse. Besides 4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan and this is all drinkable :-)

https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/05/27/2a/3f/sleeping-bear-dunes-national.jpg

I like Florida for the history, and dining, and all the tropical plants and flowers. Gators not so much, snakes even less. Like relatives somewhat more. Visiting is ok, living there is not my cup of tea. I like the west and southwest better but they have their own water issues. Still some pretty country over that way. Winter camping in Michigan, no skeeters and if you think a campfire is nice in July you should sit around one in January!

Land Owner
12-04-2018, 01:58 PM
Better to understand Florida after you read OH, FLORIDA! How America’s Weirdest State Influences the Rest of the Country
By Craig Pittman
Illustrated. 320 pp. St. Martin’s Press. $26.99.

It is a compelling, funny, maddeningly and historically accurate characterization of the greatness, pettiness, and weirdness that cumulatively defines this State in which I am both native and have lived my entire life - and I've been other places too...just saying.

Florida never will be fully captured. That, truly, is its deal: Florida exists hypothetically, in the future-*continuous tense. Florida will be a personal paradise, yours to own as soon as we fill in this hellish swamp. Florida will be growing in perpetuity, so long as we keep persuading suckers to move here. Florida will be underwater soon — let’s just hope it’s not as soon as experts predict.