View Full Version : CBD ointment

abunaitoo
11-30-2018, 03:04 AM
Has anyone tried it????
Ordered a tub for my Mother's bad back.

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-30-2018, 10:47 AM
What's wrong with your Mom's back?
Open wound/bedsores? or Bone/spine? or Muscle problem?

Anyway, in the last 6 weeks, I have gone down the CBD rabbit hole (reading and research) to relieve pain from my old wore out knees, I also injured one 8 weeks ago. I have a long story, but I'm not ready to post that story. Anyway, I have used a couple products with some success and I've done a huge amount of reading about CBD.

What I do know, is that the main reason that CBD reduces pain, is that it's an anti-inflammatory, I imagine there are other things it can do also, and there are claims for many things including curing cancer, but there isn't much substantive research to nail any of them down, and my pain is partially inflammatory related, so that 's the only thing I can currently understand, since I have a bit of experience. CBD blended with other topical medicines into an ointment helped me with muscle strain/pain that was caused by my injured knee, but didn't do anything for the joint/bone/cartilage pain. BUT, taking CBD internally seemed to help considerably with the knee joint/bone/cartilage pain...I suspect it had to due with the anti-inflammatory effects of CBD.

With all that said, CBD is currently a supplement and not a FDA approved medication. Of these supplement products, the different products have different ingredients. There are maybe 100 components in the plant that are extracted, then other processes are used to refine what is extracted, you can change or remove some of those 100 components, making for a product that is less effective. I believe (notice I used the word believe), that a product that's organic (so no pesticides/herbicides are in it) and that hasn't been heavily processed so it has all it's components is more likely to be helpful to mitigate pain. Some times they use the description "Full Spectrum" to describe that. BUT beware, many times products are misrepresented with names/descriptions that could mean more than one thing and likely when they do that, they are misleading you of what is actually the product is, they are able to due that, due to the loose government control of Supplements, so knowing exactly what's in the ointment you are considering would help me (or you) understand if it might help your Mom's back.

Good Luck, I hope that helps some.

Reddirt62
11-30-2018, 11:14 AM
CBD did nothing for me however...THC ointment definitely relieves my arthritic pain...placebo effect?? Who knows for sure. Here is to hoping you find relief!!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

xs11jack
11-30-2018, 09:30 PM
JonB, two weeks ago last Wednesday my bone doctor showed me why my knees were so painful. The inside half of the bones were rubbing together and that causes a lot of pain. He say I am not ready for replacements yet but, there are 5 different gel shots that can help. He picked a 3CC one. He deadened the skin and injected about 1 and 1/2 CC of novacane in each one. After 10 minutes he injected the 3CC gel. No pain, none, nada. After about 15 minutes he said stand up and stomp your feet a couple of times. Did I feel ok? Yes indeed OK!! I am 76 and my knees feel 20 years younger. I can even run a little. I have to go back every 3 months. That is fine because the injections are pain free. Please go to your doc. and talk it over with him.
Ole Jack

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-30-2018, 11:33 PM
JonB, two weeks ago last Wednesday my bone doctor showed me why my knees were so painful. The inside half of the bones were rubbing together and that causes a lot of pain. He say I am not ready for replacements yet but, there are 5 different gel shots that can help. He picked a 3CC one. He deadened the skin and injected about 1 and 1/2 CC of novacane in each one. After 10 minutes he injected the 3CC gel. No pain, none, nada. After about 15 minutes he said stand up and stomp your feet a couple of times. Did I feel ok? Yes indeed OK!! I am 76 and my knees feel 20 years younger. I can even run a little. I have to go back every 3 months. That is fine because the injections are pain free. Please go to your doc. and talk it over with him.
Ole Jack

I've been to the Doc...Got a shot, not the gel injections(hyaluronic acid), but they gave me a Corticosteroid injection.
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/310606.php
That is a part of the long story that I'm not yet ready to tell.

CGT80
12-01-2018, 12:23 AM
A friend of mine swears by a commercial cbd oil that one of his family members produces commercially in Oregon. It has a small amount of thc, but he says it didn't get him high and he could actually focus better than usual, since he has a bit of adhd. It really helped his back pain and arthritis in his toes. He was having a hard time walking and this stuff made about a 90% improvement.

Other family members have used ointment/muscle rub that has plant product in it with both cbd and thc. The thc doesn't adsorb into the blood and cause any mental effects, but they said it does help with the pain and stiffness for neck and back problems.

I have tried a cbd stick (similar to a deodorant stick) to rub on my muscles, which was made from commercial hemp. Unfortunately, it didn't seem to do a lot.

As stated above, these products can vary greatly and I suspect some use better ingredients than others. It could vary from batch to batch as well. While I am all for the federal government to legalize pot and these products derived from it, I am also in favor of the industry actually testing and labeling product to ensure that consumers get what they are paying for. It seems that some do test product but many don't.

Another supplement to try is kratom. It is another controversial plant/leaf that is illegal in some areas but legal in many others. It really helps with pain and can stimulate like a super coffee (it is related to coffee) while killing pain, and it can also cause mild sedation when other strains are used. It is a type of opioid and can be addictive for some people, but it has helped many to get off of illegal and legal drugs which cause addiction. A dose of it will last 3-7 hours and it is generally safer than prescription drugs or even constant use of ibuprofen. Look for a documentary on the show "hamilton's pharmicopia" and netflix also has at least one documentary. For people, like me, who are facing a choice of daily use of ibuprofen which isn't greatly effective and bad for the stomach, or using more serious prescription drugs with severe side effects, this is a great choice that is natural and can be used when driving or operating heavy equipment (when you know which type and amount to use). 1-2 grams of green maeng da is a good morning dose to give energy and really help pain. If you OD, you will puke green and maybe wish you were dead, so start low. It can be a little euphoric and huge doses can be more sedating, but like pot, others say that even taking way too much is very unlikely to do any lasting harm other than make you miserable until it wears off. Of course, use a reputable source to ensure you get a good product. I have hear rumors of some people mixing other substances into kratom and that is definitely something to avoid.

For my neck, back, and muscle pain and tension with possible fibromyalgia, monthly massage from a very skilled licensed massage therapist and chiropractic treatment really do help. Others say that chiropractors are a joke, but I have been dealing with this for 15 years and have tried massage alone, chiro alone, no treatment, over the counter meds, muscle relaxers, and supplements and chiro work is necessary for me. The massage helps the tension and makes the adjustments easier. Massage alone doesn't do what an adjustment will. Physical therapy has also made an enormous improvement in some of the issues I have had. Many of these treatments are not permanent, yet still provide relief for a period of time. Surgery may fix some problems but will not help others and many have additional complications and pain afterward, with a few who recover well enough to forget about the problems they went in for. The biggest mistake people make is assuming that all bodies are the same and all people who do body work are the same. Learning your body and when you need an MD, physical therapist, a chiro, massage therapist, or certain drugs or supplements is a good thing. It is easy to assume we are all the same and I learned the hard way that we are not.

Oily
12-01-2018, 03:37 AM
I am ready to try the cbd oil. One thing I have had luck with is the turmeric pills. If you have any problem that has inflammation the turmeric is a thing to try. I didn't think it was working and quit taking the pills and the pain and spasms came back. The effect of the turmeric is subtle and takes awhile to build up in your system but is another tool in pain control.

abunaitoo
12-01-2018, 05:04 AM
Mom has chronic back pain.
Had a disc fused. Bad idea.
Didn't help as much as she thought it would.
She takes pills, so don't want to use the oil.
I asked he to ask her doctor if it was OK to try the oil.
Haven't heard anything yet.
Hoping the ointment would bring down the inflammation and reduce the pain.
I have arthritis in the hands.
Some days good, some not so good.
Hoping it might help on the bad days.
We've tried many other, over the counter, sprays, roll-ons, creams. Some worked, most didn't.

MyFlatline
12-01-2018, 07:44 AM
I have a jar right beside the keyboard. 7% Menthol, 3% camphor and yes, it does offer some relief to my aching joints. Was something my Chiropractic Friend suggested I try. Pricey though. As for curing Cancer, I don't believe it one bit, he died of Cancer at the young age of 59.

crowbuster
12-01-2018, 10:02 AM
oily, I have found the same with tumeric. They have a cbd with tumeric in it that helped me. I use the cbd balm now as regal labs changed the fomula and was less effective. Wife is in medical and I get mine at cost, so I have tried a lot. The balm is the way to for me. And I must say, there is a lot of difference from company to company.

abunaitoo
12-01-2018, 04:21 PM
Suggestions on a good one????
The one I ordered is made by Phytokann.
It has Tumeric in it.

CGT80
12-01-2018, 06:51 PM
Unfortunately, the turmeric didn't do anything for me. I tried it for a few months and used the good stuff with a high concentration of the active ingredient, but I didn't notice any difference when I stopped using it. My mom, on the other hand, says it really helps her.

Turmeric is certainly worth a try. Cinnamon is supposed to be quite beneficial and there is a less common variety that is recommended as it doesn't thin the blood. It has a more mild flavor but is more expensive than what you would find in the grocery store. I didn't notice a difference in my health (I think it is more for controlling blood sugar levels than inflammation) and no longer eat oatmeal due to being on a keto diet, so I haven't been able to enjoy it as often.

Wayne Smith
12-03-2018, 09:04 AM
DO NOT use the cinnamon in the grocery store for medical purposes - the oil in it is poisonous in large quantities - i.e. more than you would use in a recipe. Get the capsules that has the oil removed.

tomme boy
12-04-2018, 12:32 AM
Cayenne pepper mixed with Coconut oil rubbed on the area of pain. Try it once and tell me if it works. I am not joking.

GhostHawk
12-04-2018, 09:12 AM
My wife has tried the CBD oil with fair success. Seems to work well but does not last a long time. She is also diabetic, slow healing. The skin on her arms got to be thin, like tissue paper. A cat scratch, a bump, and there she is using antiseptic cream and bandaid.

Those spots commonly turned very dark. Looked like I was beating her with a chopstick.

The CBD oil really helped her skin regain more fiexibility, helped heal those old wounds.

We also have a large bottle of cold pressed hemp oil, no CBD or THC. Bought for soap making. And that helps me greatly for pain rubbed in, not sure why.

Also 4-6 drops licked by the dog does wonders for his coat. His fur gets softer, silky and smooth. He likes it.

Considering what goes into it and processing I think most of the CBD products are overpriced. But something is worth what someone will pay for it.

CGT80
12-06-2018, 06:33 PM
DO NOT use the cinnamon in the grocery store for medical purposes - the oil in it is poisonous in large quantities - i.e. more than you would use in a recipe. Get the capsules that has the oil removed.

Ceylon cinnamon is recommended as a supplement (also sold in capsule form) and it is NOT what is typically sold in grocery stores. Of course, everyone should research it further if they plan to use it.

Cassia cinnamon has high amounts of coumarin, which is said to possibly cause liver damage or cancer, but ceylon or true cinnamon only has trace amounts of coumarin.

Cassia is the cheap stuff in the grocery store and it usually has a strong flavor, while Ceylon has a more mild flavor can be upwards of $20 per pound, roughly.

CGT80
12-06-2018, 06:35 PM
Cayenne pepper mixed with Coconut oil rubbed on the area of pain. Try it once and tell me if it works. I am not joking.

x2

A number of muscle creams, including my favorite commercially made product, have capsaicin in them and it does work.

MyFlatline
12-06-2018, 07:05 PM

Am curious, I am sensitive to peppers to eat, would this be the same? I don't even eat Black pepper. I am open to home remedies by all means but don't need complications..

WheelgunConvert
12-09-2018, 08:19 PM
1. Turmeric is recognized as effective in managing inflammation. It’s bioavailability is multiplied by adding 1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper along with a (tiny)bit of oil, be it coconut, milk, olive. A 1/4 cup of milk will do as long as it’s not fat free.
It’s also thought that it can help regrow the hippocampus...key to short term memory that shrinks with chronic stress.
2. CBD anything that has a THC component (tetrahydrocannabonol) is a very slippery slope for a firearm enthusiast. Regardless of what your resident state may have legalized, it remains a Schedule I substance under federal jurisdiction. Should you be involved in an investigation, having both could prove to be problematic.
3. I am a pharmacist

YMMV

tomme boy
12-10-2018, 12:12 AM
Am curious, I am sensitive to peppers to eat, would this be the same? I don't even eat Black pepper. I am open to home remedies by all means but don't need complications..

Not sure. This brings the blood to the surface and opens the pores. Improves circulation. Along with turmeric you can alive much pain.

Another one that works. I had my wisdom teeth pulled. The pain meds they gave me were not working. My better half is into the essential oils. There is one that is called ONGaurd. You gargle that. I will tell you what it would take the pain completely away! It also took the swelling down at the same time. You can also look up Theives Oil. I think that is what the original name for it is.

Oily
12-10-2018, 04:29 AM
crowbuster thanks for the reply. Turmeric works for some people and not others. Just like everything out there. I have 5 bulging disks in my neck and taking the turmeric has let me live a 'normal' life kinda.

Mohawk Daddy
12-10-2018, 07:09 AM
1. Turmeric is recognized as effective in managing inflammation. It’s bioavailability is multiplied by adding 1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper along with a (tiny)bit of oil, be it coconut, milk, olive. A 1/4 cup of milk will do as long as it’s not fat free.
It’s also thought that it can help regrow the hippocampus...key to short term memory that shrinks with chronic stress.
2. CBD anything that has a THC component (tetrahydrocannabonol) is a very slippery slope for a firearm enthusiast. Regardless of what your resident state may have legalized, it remains a Schedule I substance under federal jurisdiction. Should you be involved in an investigation, having both could prove to be problematic.
3. I am a pharmacist

YMMV

Thank you for this post. I learned about turmeric several years ago. I took capsules for awhile, but I don't really like taking pills so I incorporated the stuff into my diet on a regular basis. It doesn't taste like much of anything to me, so I can use plenty. I got nothin on the cbd or any other thc derivatives.